User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is it ever justified to smack somebody?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 78.72%
  • No

10 21.28%
First 678910 Last

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post

This is reasoning that I endorse. My purpose in this thread is to examine the question outside of relationships. Is there ever justification for a stiff overhand right to the mouth?

Please discuss.

I may make this a poll.
    Based on my own set of morals (not set in stone or written in any book or list)
    I feel there are situations in which it would be justifiable to hit/smack or even kill someone. I do not adhere to the flawed legal system for this, I do not trust it, I think for myself.
    For example
    A friend has been regularly beaten up by partner they have been married to for several years, including hospitalisations one of which was life threatening. This friend is too afraid of leaving. If i walked in and witnessed this abuse and believed the friends life was in danger i would think nothing of hitting the abuser over the head with a heavy/sharp/blunt object. This would be on the assumption that i personally knew the details.
    This friend could be male or female and i would act in the same way.
    There are many other situations too.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I put yes. Whether I look for justification in my actions all the time is questionable..

...but if you, or anyone else, puts their hands on me and it's not welcomed, I only warn once, and sometimes not even that (I.E. anyone attempting to grab at private areas knowing full well that was their intentions). After that, you get what *I* think you deserve. Whether someone else thinks its overkill or not is their opinion.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    I wouldn't have put it so blandly, but, yes, under certain circumstances, there are people who will need a beat down.

Perhaps in another thousand years, when humanity has become more enlightened(if we haven't blown ourselves to hell), no one will "deserve" to be hit.

Lots of sheltered idealists here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's true that as adults we can choose the company we keep.

Some company will lead to violence and some company will lead to pleasure and delight.

However some company is better than no company, and so if pleasure and delight are out of our reach, we reach for those who share our predilections.
    Sure. And some company promise one thing, yet deliver another.

And unfortunately there are millions of people in the world, who would rather use violence to solve every problem. So avoiding them is problematic, unless you move to the South Pole.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well, all right, if you say so.

I strongly suspect that, given that you are a person willing to make avoidance of violence an absolute top priority, living in a world with other people who have no such compunctions, it is by no means proven that you can always successfully avoid violence. I think there are likely to be times and places in which all your possible solutions are a null set.
    I'm not some saint that would avoid violence at the cost of things important to me, I just said I don't see it as justified when I do so.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I'm not some saint that would avoid violence at the cost of things important to me, I just said I don't see it as justified when I do so.
    Tell me. What is your justice? In your opinion within a situation wherein violence is the best solution, what action then is justified?

MBTI
    INTJ

Physical violence can serve the same purpose as a powered fence for a dog. It tells people, "You just stepped out of line." Let's be real, if someone slaps you, your face might hurt for a day or two. If they tore you a new asshole verbally, you could be hurt for longer than that. I don't understand why someone would think physical violence is not ok, when the absence of physical violence means you have to use more verbal/emotional aggression to check someone. Plus, there are those people that just refuse to listen to reason and circumstances in which there isn't the necessary time to sit down and have a long discussion.

I think a lot of the stigma against even minor amounts of physical violence comes from people who rarely or never experience it and think that it is worse than it actually is.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Tell me. What is your justice? In your opinion within a situation wherein violence is the best solution, what action then is justified?
    None, the action that would have prevented the skirmish was justified and that has been passed up on.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

the action that would have prevented the skirmish was justified and that has been passed up on.
    But that's an entirely different situation--separate from the discussion. I'm talking about an unavoidable skirmish.

None
    How is this Justice?

Oberon

INTP
    I should have guessed...

In your mental space, sufficient knowledge makes everything possible.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Physical violence can serve the same purpose as a powered fence for a dog. It tells people, "You just stepped out of line." Let's be real, if someone slaps you, your face might hurt for a day or two. If they tore you a new asshole verbally, you could be hurt for longer than that. I don't understand why someone would think physical violence is not ok, when the absence of physical violence means you have to use more verbal/emotional aggression to check someone. Plus, there are those people that just refuse to listen to reason and circumstances in which there isn't the necessary time to sit down and have a long discussion.

I think a lot of the stigma against even minor amounts of physical violence comes from people who rarely or never experience it and think that it is worse than it actually is.
    There is no verbal/emotional fight that will kill you, all it can do is cause immense pain and hurt. Physical violence can kill. One you will always have the chance to heal from the other you cannot. People dont fear minor skirmishes, but fear the possibility of it escalating.

Another thing is that physical violence from a loved one can cause emotional pain/hurt just like verbal. Yet verbal will never cause the physical pain, until someone responds with violence.
    Im out, its been fun