User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is it ever justified to smack somebody?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 78.72%
  • No

10 21.28%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Anyone who initiates force or violence deserves to experience retaliation.
    But that's exactly why smacking is justified. if you're child was taken hostage, the criminal needs punishment. "smacking" for criminals is jail time. Negative reinforcement for society's psychology.

In addition, come on!!!smacking is only a little violence. It's not essentially murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    But that's exactly why smacking is justified.
    Read, "For Your Own Good", by Alice Miller and weep.

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't know, but "no" is just so boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    But that's exactly why smacking is justified. if you're child was taken hostage, the criminal needs punishment. "smacking" for criminals is jail time. Negative reinforcement for society's psychology.

In addition, come on!!!smacking is only a little violence. It's not essentially murder.
    Er, no, not at all. In my society there isnt any equivalence between the behaviour of Children and Adults, its why children do not work for a living.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I think it's never justified to smack someone.

But from my perspective of growing up (late teens) I admit I've found myself occasionally laying the smackdown. And felt the other people fully deserved it. It's kind of odd, since I truely feel physical agressiveness is never good for anything. But then again, especially immature people, simply don't listen to words. It feels like smacking them around is the only way to get them to pause and think about their actions.

Ofcourse, that's just wishful thinking, and smacking them around only makes them more angry and more willing to get the revenge.

But then, how do you get out of such a situation passively?

If you're cornered, the people won't listen, and they are prepared to smack you around, would you really let them? I wouldn't, I would smack right back.

It's easy to feel cornered when being a teen, much easier than it would be to corner me now. You got your reputation to consider. Don't want to be known as a coward in school, etc. So when someone challenged me in some way, I always accepted the challenge. Had I been the passive guy running away all the time, I'd probably be subject to psychological warfare. And it seemed that getting in an occasional fight, or at the least stand your ground, prevented that.

It's sad.

Anyways, no, never justified. But I can think of situations where the results of fighting are better than not fighting. >.>
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

I wouldn't have put it so blandly, but, yes, under certain circumstances, there are people who will need a beat down.

Perhaps in another thousand years, when humanity has become more enlightened(if we haven't blown ourselves to hell), no one will "deserve" to be hit.

Lots of sheltered idealists here...

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You're going to think this is librull word-splitting but I think the word "deserve" is the sticking point here. There are definitely times when a good clocking is necessary (self-defense is the only one I can think of at the moment) but it isn't exactly because the person "deserves" it. It's a practical matter, to get them off your back so you can get away.

So practically speaking, yes, it can be necessary. But ideologically speaking there's really never a reason for it IMO. Doesn't mean I don't sometimes WANT to club someone with a deer antler but I manage to hold myself back most of the time.
    ^^This

I tripped over the word "deserve" as well because that implies punishment more than problem solving. It equates the person with the behavior, which can lead to endless problems including dehumanizing. It brings to my mind the following quote:

HG Wells: The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Yes, but running out of ideas is a frightfully common occurrence. Leave it to an intellectual like Wells to consider it a sin...

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Yes, but running out of ideas is a frightfully common occurrence. Leave it to an intellectual like Wells to consider it a sin...
    To some people hitting is an idea. Just as yelling is an idea. Its just a matter of preference. So yes, leave it to an intelectual to push his preference.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Read, "For Your Own Good", by Alice Miller and weep.
    How is this related?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Er, no, not at all. In my society there isnt any equivalence between the behaviour of Children and Adults, its why children do not work for a living.
    Sorry?

I was talking about *smacking* in the form of judicial law as a result of injustice. Teaching consequence for those who don't understand their immorality.

Deserving pain is not similar to the topic of justification of rare use of light violence.

Pain is used as reinforcement to those who doesn't listen to words.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Anyways, no, never justified. But I can think of situations where the results of fighting are better than not fighting. >.>
    What!? Then its not "never" justified.

Raising a fist IS an idea. Not just to some people, but using the very definition of the word.