User Tag List

View Poll Results: I believe in...

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abstinence before Marriage

    19 25.68%
  • Fidelity in Marriage

    58 78.38%
  • Being against Pornography

    15 20.27%
  • Being against Homosexual/Bisexual/Transgender behavior

    9 12.16%
  • Patriotism

    12 16.22%
  • Religious Freedom

    67 90.54%
  • Right to Life: Against Abortion and Euthanasia

    19 25.68%
  • Being against Addictive Drugs

    27 36.49%
  • Being against Alcohol

    10 13.51%
  • Being against Gambling

    14 18.92%
  • Being intolerant to any behavior that may destroy individuals, families, and our culture.

    15 20.27%
  • Discrimination as the wisdom of choosing between good and evil.

    9 12.16%
  • The Ends justifying the Means.

    10 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1220212223 Last

Results 211 to 220 of 230

  1. #211
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I swear I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to understand.

    Because certain people that you say are out to get you may use terms like "sanctity of marriage" and "patriot" in ways dissimilar from the common definition, that means that I can't use those terms without being assumed to hold all the same intentions? You're saying these people have stolen these terms and redefined them forever? I can't say that I am a "patriot" and mean someone who loves their country instead of someone who supports a raft of shady dealings? Or is it just that you don't feel you can afford to take the chance?
    Hey FM, I was speaking directly to the quotes of family values lifted from the website. I wasn't speaking at all to the motivations of other people who posted their agreeance with some of the values or in response to other members. The short answer is no, I don't think members who said 'yes' in this thread to any of the values stated necessarily support a right-wing agenda or even the specific agenda of the website.

    'I'm patriotic' can mean very many things, it depends on the context and who is saying it.

    And that is the danger. Because these quotes came from a website with an agenda so they are not in a vacuum, they are laden with context and attached to an agenda which I do not serve. Of course you may agree with some of the values reinterpreted from your POV -- I wasn't speaking to that.

    I was speaking to the fact this basically a lobbying ploy. Stating seemingly 'universal', innocuous, time-tested values is quite crafty because it makes it seem like the neo-conservative movement has more popular backing than it actually does and is much more 'universal' and centrist than it is.

    Of course most people will say something like "I want to protect my family". But like Jennifer said, if a neo-conservative with an agenda asks you that and you agree -- suddenly BAM it assumed you support what THEY mean by 'protecting the family'.

    So again, I was speaking directly to the original quotes and the larger context for them.

  2. #212
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Poor Uber, I think you are a little misunderstood -- just like Kiddo! Hahaha.

    I don't think Uber you are all that bad at all. You would probably still have somewhat extreme views even if you were not as sheltered about the world but they would be more balanced and nuanced and worded much less blntly and for 'maximum effect'. If you had more real life experience.

    This isn't a diss -- you are just more sheltered and into your own world and opinions than your age and gender mean IMHO -- and that's saying a lot! Hahaha, no offense guys in the 19-23 age range.

    Aside from what others have said, you sometimes seem like a glutton for punishment. You follow up to people's annoyed/angry comments with this child-like doe-eyed 'But, what? I really do like eating babies?' I think there is a genuine curiousity about the world and how people think, but combined with the things you say, it just draws the ire of some folks. And once people smell blood, the pack goes in for the kill!

    You just don't engage with people the way that is expected.

    So I do think people sometimes pick on you (poor Uber) but you also seem to like picking at people as well and are genuinely clueless as to people's boundaries and responses to you.

    If it makes you feel any better, I don't think you're a troll or should censor yourself. If that's what you really think, it's what you really think.

    Just don't be surprised by the displeased responses and/or disbelief ...

  3. #213
    Member Hypomanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Wow. I've just gained a whole new perspective on why some people can act like unintelligent jerks for attention. It's because they are immature and don't know any better, not just because they are jerks that don't care. Rather, they just don't know and that's why they act like a fool. Everyone, please just ignore this post, I just had a realization and needed to document it via this message board.

  4. #214
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    I'm sorry but this has to be the dumbest statement I've read on this forum so far.

    It's called thinking. It lets you separate sensible ideas from nonsense. Try it some time.
    It's due to my own philosophical beliefs. The thing about theories and beliefs is they're probably all right or all wrong.

    Ideas are sensible to whom? Things make sense to some people, not to other people. To religious people, creationism makes perfect sense. To science people, evolution makes perfect sense. And both sides shun each others' points of view.

    People shape their own reality.

    To me, personally, evolution does make eons more sense than creationism. But to the creationist, creationism makes more sense. And we have plenty of scholars in both fields. Every answer is legitimate. Everything is either right or wrong.

    There is a certain point where myth and belief must take over, and when that happens, our perceptions of science become altered, not because an omnipotent (and "loving" asshole) God will send us to Hell if we don't do things his way, but because the entirety of reality becomes questioned.

    I do not know why people are finding this so difficult to follow.

  5. #215
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    It's due to my own philosophical beliefs. The thing about theories and beliefs is they're probably all right or all wrong.

    Ideas are sensible to whom? Things make sense to some people, not to other people. To religious people, creationism makes perfect sense. To science people, evolution makes perfect sense. And both sides shun each others' points of view.

    People shape their own reality.

    To me, personally, evolution does make eons more sense than creationism. But to the creationist, creationism makes more sense. And we have plenty of scholars in both fields. Every answer is legitimate. Everything is either right or wrong.

    There is a certain point where myth and belief must take over, and when that happens, our perceptions of science become altered, not because an omnipotent (and "loving" asshole) God will send us to Hell if we don't do things his way, but because the entirety of reality becomes questioned.

    I do not know why people are finding this so difficult to follow.
    Now THAT makes sense to me, and I understand what you're saying. I'm not sure I agree w/ your ultimate conclusion that 'Everything is either right or wrong', nor that for everyone there is a point where myth and belief must take over, but I get what you're saying. But I'm not going to argue it one way or the other, because I don't feel like getting into it or see that any consensus could be reached on topics like this.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  6. #216
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Now THAT makes sense to me, and I understand what you're saying. I'm not sure I agree w/ your ultimate conclusion that 'Everything is either right or wrong', nor that for everyone there is a point where myth and belief must take over, but I get what you're saying. But I'm not going to argue it one way or the other, because I don't feel like getting into it or see that any consensus could be reached on topics like this.
    Evolution gets wrapped up in myth, too, like the Big Bang theory. What came before that? If you say it was God, then who created God? And the dance goes on...

    Now some will close the question by saying that eternity is a concept that mankind cannot grasp, others like myself will say that reality is just an illusion.

  7. #217
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,910

    Default

    For the love of penguins, just let it go!
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #218
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Evolution gets wrapped up in myth, too, like the Big Bang theory. What came before that? If you say it was God, then who created God? And the dance goes on...

    Now some will close the question by saying that eternity is a concept that mankind cannot grasp, others like myself will say that reality is just an illusion.
    Damnit!! I'm getting sucked in!!

    I'm not going to talk about the evolution getting wrapped into myth thing, because that's just another can of worms and I'm in the camp where I think there are a lot of facts backing it up, and I studied it in college, and outside of college...anyhow, not going there. Everyone has their own opinion on the validity or invalidity of the evidence/data/what have you. Yes, there are tons of people who think oppositely from me about evolution, but I don't particularly care. They think what they think, I think what I think, whatever. No one's going to be convincing anyone else otherwise on topics such as these. We each believe what we believe.

    As for the 'What came before The Big Bang' thing...I simply don't know. And I'm fine not knowing. And I don't particularly like the 'Who created God' argument, because someone can simply respond 'God simply IS. God has always been.' Which I think is a lame response, because I could simply respond in a similar manner 'The Universe and all of its particles always have been. They simply ARE. The universe keeps on recycling, endlessly, and it's been that way forever.'

    I don't know.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  9. #219
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    And no, I am not religious.

  10. #220
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Poor Uber, I think you are a little misunderstood -- just like Kiddo! Hahaha.
    Ni dominance, maybe?

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] As an NT, do you hate the metaphysical values of recent society?
    By danseen in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 01:21 PM
  2. The Fudjack-Dinkelaker Poll result
    By Mal12345 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2011, 01:54 PM
  3. How would you ascertain the vintage value of an art piece?
    By dagenhard in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 04:49 AM
  4. [ENTP] ENTPs and the novelty value of people
    By EcK in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 04:28 PM
  5. The Federal Reserve Poll
    By Annuit Coeptis in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-15-2008, 09:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO