User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Someone clearly isn't learned.

Buddhism encourages people to approach things from the right angle, do things for the right reasons, and maintain a proper outlook. You can't possibly say the noble eightfold path doesn't encourage these things.

Of course, because of your faith, the fact that another way of life could encourage such things without a guarantee of salvation and eternal life won't compute in your head no matter what.
    And what is the right path? I have read those books too, read all the primary sources, its not about my faith meeting with others and resulting in a does not compute response, its about my accounting for the popularity of buddhism, the secular detractors and attacks of theism and faith all love buddhism, why? Well it seems like a nice, recipe for do gooding (or at least good intent) mixed with ways to relax and no expectation of ultimate consequences to worry about, that's why its popular.

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    shoot, i was hoping someone had answered my questions. i was not trying to take over the conversation to one about christianity by posting what i did but merely trying to understand the differences and similarities to buddhism. personally, i don't think it's helpful for people of one faith (or none) to come onto a thread about another and disparage that faith and/or start a debate about the veracity of said faith. i don't think that is respectful at all. agreement is not necessary but a bit of respect would do nicely around here from all quarters.
    I dont believe its disrespectful to acknowledge differences of opinion, I dont disrespect buddhism, I just dont believe it and would account for its popularity in the way I did.

This is the curious double standard, questioning or criticism of buddhism solicits this response but not so the other threads in which much more vociferous points, or even trolling, have characterised the discussion of christianity, theism or traditionalism of western origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont believe its disrespectful to acknowledge differences of opinion, I dont disrespect buddhism, I just dont believe it and would account for its popularity in the way I did.

This is the curious double standard, questioning or criticism of buddhism solicits this response but not so the other threads in which much more vociferous points, or even trolling, have characterised the discussion of christianity, theism or traditionalism of western origins.
    i am only going to respond once more about this so as not to hijack any further but when you come onto a thread and call it "sinister" that is a pretty hostile term whether it be true or not. there is a time and a place for debate and i don't see how this thread where some guy had asked a sincere question regarding his own life and practice can possibly be it. as for a double standard--no. i mentioned people of other faiths and "no faith" and said "all quarters". i don't think it is appropriate on threads started by a person of any faith including christians. i decided to point this out on this thread, your post in particular, because as followers of jesus we are held to a higher standard. honestly, i am not sure you are aware how your posts come across.

i am only going to respond once more about this so as not to hijack any further but when you come onto a thread and call it "sinister" that is a pretty hostile term whether it be true or not. there is a time and a place for debate and i don't see how this thread where some guy had asked a sincere question regarding his own life and practice can possibly be it. as for a double standard--no. i mentioned people of other faiths and "no faith" and said "all quarters". i don't think it is appropriate on threads started by a person of any faith including christians. i decided to point this out on this thread, your post in particular, because as followers of jesus we are held to a higher standard. honestly, i am not sure you are aware how your posts come across.
    There's a couple of points of difference and disagreement between us but I can tell its not going to be fruitful to try and embark on a discussion with you.

A window to the soul

I think buddhism is much more sinister than a lot of people suspect, it tells people to live in the present and have no thought for the future, there's no God, no hell, no personal salvation or personal afterlife, all of which I think makes it highly compatible with contemporary secularism but I dont believe will deliver happiness here or here after.
    I didn't see anything wrong with what you said. You speak truth.

Nobody had my back when I said I was a Jesus lover yesterday. One guy said my belief was idiocy. But don't cry for me. I got it covered. People that are bold enough to start a thread about their God, can take the heat.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

You cant be totally enlightened and be truly satiasfied unless you overcome hornyness and other stuff that would make you happy, you need to find it from within
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I think buddhism is much more sinister than a lot of people suspect, it tells people to live in the present and have no thought for the future, there's no God, no hell, no personal salvation or personal afterlife, all of which I think makes it highly compatible with contemporary secularism but I dont believe will deliver happiness here or here after.
    Stuff does happen after you die:

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

I once read the gotama's no-self is like a copernican revolution for the ego. If nothing is permanent, then there isn't a permanent observer known as "me". So instead of the world revolving around our permanent ego, we can come to see the "I" as part of everything that revolves around time. Over short time periods were so sure time revolves around our permanent ego, but over the long run its less intuitive. Its a sort of a priori belief though, the impermanence. Id relate it to how in the short time span th moon revolves around the earth, but in reality the moon still revooves around the sun.

Anywyas. I'd think that less ego would be DIFERRENT from secular thought. I think a lot of secular people like Buddhism because much of the sort of "morality" you could derive from it would be based on the highly logical "end pain for all living beings". It avoids the bizarro superstions become morality like some other religions....

MBTI
    ENTP

One thing I've always had problems with in Buddhism is the eight-fold path. I've always seen Buddhism as more of a philosophy than a religion. The first three noble truths are very interesting philosophically: life is suffering, suffering is caused by desire, ending desire can end suffering. It is an interesting existential concept. But then you hit the eight-fold path, which is just a bunch of rules. Seriously, what?

I think it goes to show another truth about humans, that is that they can't seem to adopt anything without clearly outlined rules to follow, which essentially just lead back to what all religions seem to be: follow the rules and you will get rewarded. It's also gotten even worse, since popular (Mahayana) Buddhism is absolutely nothing like original (Theravada) Buddhism. I wouldn't be surprised if there were philosophers other than Buddha with the same philosophical ideas that didn't gain as much popularity because they didn't have a set of rules to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.