User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    To the extent that ideas like "reincarnation" are taught, they're used as parables to be understood and then moved beyond on the path to greater understanding.
    One would think such "parables" would be presented as such within Buddhist religious text; the entire concept of reincarnation seems crucial to the theological assumptions and structure of all branches of Buddhism.

Incidentally, why would "life" absent whatever meaning or utility our imaginations give to it be something one would wish to experience?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    No, I just take issue with people who go about judging and looking down their noses on the basis of a fairy tale they've not an iota of evidence to support.
    I believe because it's bullshit - there happy now? :rolli:

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I believe because it's bullshit - there happy now? :rolli:
    I sure as hell am.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I sure as hell am.
    Do you even know what that's based off?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Do you feel like other people are really mis-interpreting or mis-understanding Buddhism here? I'm definitely feeling that way. In short, I think people are seeing it as a philosophy, or else similar to some philosophy, and then just leaving it at that. To be fair, many of the things they are saying ARE common misinterpretations. At least with, say, Hinduism, its usually clear to people that they don't know much about what they are talking about...
    I think that's pretty accurate.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

^ sorry if i botched the thread in the first place. my thoughts and questions about the topic are based off a few wiki articles, a few quote books from dalai lama, and some real basic overview picture-books of buddhism as a whole. haha
    my etsy Morphochroma

I know you think I'm crazy,
    but most people they can't tell.

Banned
    MBTI
    ExTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by xNTP View Post
    No no no no no no no...

You can have love. Buddha said don't obsess over it and hang your self-worth on anything. Own your own self-worth. So, if relationships come, that's fine, but if they go, let them go. Don't attach to them and obsess over them because if you do, you'll be unhappy. If you can genuinely let things come and go in your life and not get tripped up by them, that's fine. Sensual pleasure comes, it comes; it goes, it goes. Buddhism would encourage you not to fixate upon it. AVOIDING IT, like your OP suggests, would be a form of fixation, just in the other direction. This is why Buddhism is called the Middle Way. You neither pursue nor avoid pleasure and pain, but accept them and move on. (I'm not criticizing you at all, btw.)

There's a book called Open to Desire by...argh...google it. I believe it addresses this topic. Jack Kornfield, John Kabat-Zinn, Trudy Goodman, Bonnie What'sherface, they all are married or have significant others. The issue for a Buddhist isn't whether or not to get married, but what type of relationship to form to that person and how the nature of that relationship may interfere with other responsibilities and priorities you might have (like saving all beings from suffering, but that's not an issue you raised in your OP).

Cheers.
    Nailed it

Well said

I would add, that certain Types have a more natural inclination toward the Middle Way.

Banned
    MBTI
    ExTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Jeepers creepers people

A man found a righteous path in his mind, to a groovy destination, without destination, nor dust in the eyes.

He encouraged others to follow his lead, but left somewhat muddled directions.

All the rest is just fluff

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by mr.awesome View Post
    although i know Buddhism teaches we need to pry from our senses and worldly matters.. is such attraction between a man and a woman to be ignored and discouraged as evil hedonistic attachments?
    I don't see this as a a discouragement of connection, but of attachment.

Becoming too attached to a person, or a pleasure, or a thing, inevitably leads to pain when things change. Life is about change, so an enlightened individual accepts this and is fluid in their thinking.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by mr.awesome View Post
    ^ sorry if i botched the thread in the first place. my thoughts and questions about the topic are based off a few wiki articles, a few quote books from dalai lama, and some real basic overview picture-books of buddhism as a whole. haha
    Not at all! This is tricky stuff and these are very good questions. You have to ask tough questions to clear up misconceptions.