User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Afterlife/Apocalyptic Religions

Do religions with a good afterlife and a population destroying apocalypse, like Christianity, promote a lack of caring for the environment? I think so, but I figured someone on here would probably have a different belief and I'm feeling curious.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Ginkgo

The religious doctrine does not, though there have been saints such as Saint Francis of Assasi who promoted a certain devotion to the environment. However, this devotion is devoid of "environmentalism" in a contemporary, global sense.

In fact, some Christians have the gumption to say that environmentalism is parallel to paganism; paganism in its turn being opposed to Christianity.

Isn't preserving the earth before an apocalypse kind of like dusting off a ticking time bomb? I think it would be wise to keep an extra knife up your sleeve and regard the environmental battle, just in case.

There are also secular sources such as Michael Crichton who dissent upon environmentalism for reasons such as economic stability and scientific ethics. I've even heard it being compared to eugenics.

You could say that environmentalism is akin to Christianity because it has this undertone of "getting back to the Garden of Eden" - a kind of naturalistic penance.

Sniffles

Enviromentalism is pagan pretty much. The proper Christian attitude towards nature is one of stewardship.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Do religions with a good afterlife and a population destroying apocalypse, like Christianity, promote a lack of caring for the environment? I think so, but I figured someone on here would probably have a different belief and I'm feeling curious.
    I believe the head of the Southern Baptists' Convention recently said that being good stewards of the environment should be a bigger priority for Christians.

On the other hand if you talk to different Christians specifically you will find that some care deeply about the environment and others don't care anything at all. I think this decision has more to do with a person's personality than their religious teaching.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com