User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default experiences with spirit guides

I feel like starting a new "we'll see how it goes" thread

Anybody have any experiences with spirit guides that they are willing to publicly share here?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Sort of. I haven't actually consulted one officially but I know two people who are very sensitive to spirits and such and who have a certain perception of the aspects of reality that are not within the "normal" bounds. They seem to find it a tiresome thing to have.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Not quite exactly whot was being referenced to gerbah, though, yes, I imagine that would be quite tiresome indeed.

A 'spirit guide', likely as intended to be meant by scott, is the one commonly referred to by north american indian tribes, which's whot most people associate them with... in reality, the use of such is actually quite widespread by many different religions, including some versions of christianity in the form of angels or saints (catholics basically believe in spirit guides, though not quite labeled as such; the majority of the other versions of christianity basically state that only the holy spirit counts as such).

In the most widely known traditional sense, a spirit guide is a non-physical, non-currently-living being, or entity of some natural aspect, which takes a recognizable form to guide one, either during sleep, meditation, or other trancelike state, with or without the use of drugs to easier contact such.

A guide can take the image of someone yeu know, of an animal, of a spirit of nature, or any of a number of familiar concepts to the individual in order to direct them, but unlike just 'that little voice in the back of one's head', spirit guides generally take on a physical appearance and show themselves to be present, and directly help show the recipient the 'correct' path to take.

Under most accepted forms of such, the guide is just that; a guide. They won't DO the work for yeu, they'll just either give hints, or flat out tell yeu, where yeu should go next, or whot yeu should do with yeur life, and so on. Essentially, they have other worldly knowledge that they're willing to share if yeu show respect towards them.

I personally have not had direct contact with any spirit guides, or at the very least, have not recognized such, nor in the manner which they are traditionally described within. I did have a similar situation, but it turned out she was merely an aspect of my own mind rather than a seperate entity. And she was a total bitch anyway; literally and figuratively, though I hate the figurative connotations normally, it's fitting in that case XD

Now as to whether such exists or not for 'real', who knows... some believe spirits of the world, ancestors, or other spiritual beings exist en masse, others believe only singular entities do, and some believe in no such thing at all. I've not had direct contact, as stated, so can't say so myself, but wanted to make sure the definition was presented for people to know whot's being talked about, at least as I understand it.

For referance:

- Going into a drug-assisted trance to speak with a spirit guide who portraits itself as a wolf or other animal
    - Being asleep and being given direct instruction by a deceased family member
    - Being in a meditative state and directly communing with a spirit of nature in whotever form it takes
    - Being in some 'higher' state, such as the trances that some christian believers go into which include falling to the floor in a minor seizure of sorts, and directly contacting the holy spirit
    - Physically seeing and directly speaking to an angel, saint, or other important religious icon in any state other than regular consciousness

Things which would not count:

- Getting a 'feeling' yeu should go a certain way
    - Praying for something and believing yeu know the answer
    - Pretty much anything that does not include either being in a state other than normal consciousness, and does not include directly speaking with the image face to face.

If moses had spoken with the burning bush and it turned out he was asleep at the time, rather than awake and aware, it could be considered a spirit guide. If awake normally, it doesn't count, as one is required to be in an 'other' state to perceive such guides.

Hope this helps people =3

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't see why it doesn't count if you're not awake though. Surely that would mean you are more perceptive because you don't need to rely on being in a trance? You would just see the spirit the same way you see the sky is blue, as an objective phenomenon, since we all occupy the same reality and you have the perception to see those parts of it. That's why it's tiresome for the two people I mentioned because it's just part of their normal reality and they can't switch it off. According to these people I know, the "spirits" (I use quotation marks because, as you say, their existence is accepted by many different religions so they can have different names) can provide guidance in the sense that if you ask them they can tell you stuff. Or do stuff for you, etc. It depends on the relationship, if any, you develop with them. It seems to be tricky though because like humans, they have choice between good or bad, so you can end up in a mess if you get involved with bad ones.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    I don't see why it doesn't count if you're not awake though. Surely that would mean you are more perceptive because you don't need to rely on being in a trance? You would just see the spirit the same way you see the sky is blue, as an objective phenomenon, since we all occupy the same reality and you have the perception to see those parts of it. That's why it's tiresome for the two people I mentioned because it's just part of their normal reality and they can't switch it off. According to these people I know, the "spirits" (I use quotation marks because, as you say, their existence is accepted by many different religions so they can have different names) can provide guidance in the sense that if you ask them they can tell you stuff. Or do stuff for you, etc. It depends on the relationship, if any, you develop with them. It seems to be tricky though because like humans, they have choice between good or bad, so you can end up in a mess if you get involved with bad ones.
    I think the issue is moreso that it means yeu're not truly in touch with the spiritual world then; yeu're just hallucinating or imagining things in that case.

I dunno, I haven't done extensive study on the matter so am not sure why the odd 'rules' are in place as they are.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i've read some fascinating books from mediums but no personal experience....the thought of it terrifies me...mostly because...it just seems too emotional...too painful...i'm a 7...i don't like pain
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    Sort of. I haven't actually consulted one officially but I know two people who are very sensitive to spirits and such and who have a certain perception of the aspects of reality that are not within the "normal" bounds. They seem to find it a tiresome thing to have.
    Yes, I definitely can see that. Personally, i can't say that I've ever found it "tiresome", but other things maybe. If you can "walk in two places at once" effectively, your probably okay though. Or at least thats been my experience. I usually say "there is much beauty in this world, and much not-beauty. Having heightened/extended awarenesses brings BOTH into greater focus." I wouldn't call that tiresome. Exhilirating and depressing, a lot to take in, deeper, more to pay attention to, more things to watch out for and ignore/avoid, etc...

In terms of trance, sleep, meditation, "normal life", I think the issue at hand is how well can you "see sideways" or have access to the level(s) on which these other things occur.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Have you had experiences with spirit guides, Scott?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Have you had experiences with spirit guides, Scott?
    As it said in the first post "Anybody have any experiences with spirit guides that they are willing to publicly share here? "

why do you ask?

I feel quite comfortable talking about most of my eastern training. For the most part, what I might say on this topic lies mostly outside of that training, and I'm not sure how comfortable I feel publicly talking about it. Many things exist as experiences to people, whether those experiences are "true" or not, I don't want people connecting the idea of "Scott talking about eastern philosophy" with "Scott talking about [various shamanic training stuff]" The heart sutra and the diamond sutra don't talk about spirits. Other eastern people and books might, but usually only as a sidenote or because the Tibetans are occult as all get out and track the souls of their dead to find their reincarnations, or at least that is what they claim. Notice how fact non-committal I am being here

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Ok, I thought about it some more. I will say this. Yes, I've had experiences on this topic, as well as a number of others. Some experiences need only be symbolic, they might not be deeper. For example, you saw an image of a certain object or animal. But it was just a psychological or archetypal image, as opposed to necessarily being a "visitation" by some independent external being. I do think those things are possible too, however.

If you look deep enough in the right places, you will find assertions in various eastern philosophies of other realms of existence or levels of consciousness. [There is a reason that Buddhism talks about "all sentient beings" instead of "all people" or "all animals" or the like.] Attitudes towards such things varies. However, a person will generally be well-trained and "safe" before accessing such things. We tend to not access them for their own sake, but either ignore them, or enter them with some other purpose that is just being given expression on that level. Not always, but frequently as I understand. Often, we stand simultaneously in this world and, to some extent, on these other levels. But again, there importance is usually strongly downplayed, or we are doing something else and some aspect of that is given expression or awareness on these levels.

In a sense, the purpose of yoga is to clean oneself, or purify ones self on various "inner levels." As part of that process, one may gain access to and become aware of the activities on various other levels of consciousness. So yes, I do have experiences. But I don't wish to give them undue influence/importance, nor do I wish to particularly encourage people towards such things, and definitely not for their [ie those kind of experiences] own sake. If they already have such interests, and something I say reinforces that interest then so be it, but I don't want to somehow "put people down that road." Plenty of people do advanced yoga without such awarenesses/experiences, and if the only reason you are coming to us is to train such things, I'm gonna tell you to leave and go somewhere else. Shamanism can provide that training for example, go there or some other such thing. Many things exist, only some of them do we place much value on.

I have encountered MANY times the idea that various saints, sages, gurus, etc, continue to exist on subtle non-physical levels of being [theory-wise: we all do for a while, until we physically reincarnate, but these people know how to prevent or at least massively delay such reincarnation], and will occasionally "visit" their students, provide guidance, emanate their saintliness, etc. With that said, I have NEVER encountered the idea of "spirit guides" as such in any of my eastern training. Which isn't to say its not true, but at best we don't place much emphasis on it. There is also plenty of discussion about other levels of existence onto which people can reincarnate, but also that this human level of existence is considered the "most ideal" for attaining enlightenment[Note: "pure land" groups are the notable exception to this]. The others are either too comfortable or too distracting/painful.

How was that for a non-answer answer?