User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member ChildoftheProphets's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Default First Weekend of March 2010, Christian Experiment?

I was looking through a religion thread here earlier this week, and I was surprised to see how many Christians there are on this forum!

Like me, many seemed to be uneasy with their organized, denominational churches and the people who attend them, with quite a few upset over issues of narrowmindedness (especially the NTs, which I suppose is to be expected lol).

My purpose in writing this, now, is to suggest an experiment and an opportunity: why not create a weekly gathering of believers right here on Typology Central? Each weekend, someone can post a link to a Biblical passage, as well as write a few short paragraphs to express their interpretation of it or otherwise encourage discussion. The rest of us (including skeptics and those of other faiths who'd like to join in) can voice our opinions as well.

And if any other Christians here are interested in doing something like this, I ask you to please answer me one more question: what is it that has disheartened you most about modern Christianity, and what may be Christianity's greatest strength or chance for the future?
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -- Grantland Rice

Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules. -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

I'm a traditional RC and dont break with much of the Church's tradition and practice, when I do I treat it as a matter of personal conscience, the church has been extremely slow to change but in so doing it has preserved much which the rest of the world has lost. I think that maturation should be a gradual and slow process rather than a race resulting in crisis and ruin.

So I guess I'm not part of the audience you're targetting with this post.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'll bite. I like the question (especially the positive part) and will be mulling it over while I putz around today. You may want to mentally formulate what direction you want the thread to go in and give the madmins a heads up if you don't want to spend a lot of time engaging in debates with folks who are only participating for that purpose.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I hereby state that I will not heckle any BelieverCentral group that comes out of this, or this thread. And my atheist/agnostic compatriots will do the same.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

^Is this supposed to be some surprise? Most Christians are used to it. I grew up with an atheist mother who made fun of my Christianity before she matured in that section of her life. I can take it from other people.

On topic:

I've actually started to think about denoms in MBTI - it makes a lot of sense, and a lot of sense why certain people like certain denoms.

I've also considered (but I'm lazy!) going back farther to look at Christianity. One of my college courses on the reformation was taught by a leading reformation scholar. He talked about Martin Luther and it is really something that I can identify with, rather than the "be good" currently in vogue. Still thinking about it.

I love this idea!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    ^Is this supposed to be some surprise? Most Christians are used to it. I grew up with an atheist mother who made fun of my Christianity before she matured in that section of her life. I can take it from other people.
    Well, in that case.... how stupid do you have to be.. err.. nvm.

I'll hold back. You might be a total masochist that can take it, but the other Christians might not appreciate it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I can give it too, I just figure you probably are too weak in your beliefs to be able to discuss things rather than just try to heckle people.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I can give it too, I just figure you probably are too weak in your beliefs to be able to discuss things rather than just try to heckle people.
    My beliefs aren't that fragile. Feel free to heckle me as well.

It's not like I need to go through tests of faith, like you. Being a non-believer is pretty easy.

But really, I should leave you Christians to talk quietly amongst yourself and discuss the teachings of Jesus.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It's not like I need to go through tests of faith, like you. Being a non-believer is pretty easy.
    Oh, but you do. Just like everyone. (I hope!) Not questioning your stance on something when there are so many other thoughts would be a sad thing indeed.