• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

First Weekend of March 2010, Christian Experiment?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
But if we all stand up to be counted, there will be no one sitting down.

WOW THAT'S SO PROFOUND. I'M SO INSPIRED I'M GONNA GO KILL A SQUIRREL AND NAME IT "MBTI" IN YOUR HONOR.

S

Sniffles

Peguy, considering the number of times the poverty of the philosophical underpinnings of your system of beliefs has been plainly demonstrated by SW (and others), you've what's referred to in common parlance as some nerve to cop that attitude with ajblaise.

I assume SW means Solitary Walker, and I can certainly recall him deliberately refusing to answer many of my arguments - particularly my responses to his assertion that fundamentalism is somehow the most authentic perspective on scriptures, and tried to dismiss the historical fact that Christianity grew out of the allegorical traditions of Judaism as an "irrelevant anecdote", and insisted that St. Thomas Aquinas and other theologians were in actual fact irreligious thinkers. The connections he tries to draw between religions and political ideologies is rather poor as well, especially when compared to studies done by scholars like Eric Voegelin(who was refered to earlier in this thread). So no I really wouldn't consider SW's arguments as any kind of death blow to religion.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I assume SW means Solitary Walker, and I can certainly recall him deliberately refusing to answer many of my arguments - particularly my responses to his assertion that fundamentalism is somehow the most authentic perspective on scriptures, and tried to dismiss the historical fact that Christianity grew out of the allegorical traditions of Judaism as an "irrelevant anecdote", and insisted that St. Thomas Aquinas and other theologians were in actual fact irreligious thinkers. The connections he tries to draw between religions and political ideologies is rather poor as well, especially when compared to studies done by scholars like Eric Voegelin(who was refered to earlier in this thread). So no I really wouldn't consider SW's arguments as any kind of death blow to religion.

From where I'm standing, SW made his case and became disinterested in attempting to further pursue the matter when you (repeatedly) failed to address the content of the discussion, instead branching off into yet another one of your brow-furrowing "contemplations" of the precise nature of the threads of the Emperor's new wardrobe.

As for St. Aquinas, correct me where I err, but he challenged you to demonstrate how Aquinas' philosophy argued in favor of the Christian god, and you never responded.

S

Sniffles

From where I'm standing, SW made his case and became disinterested in attempting to further pursue the matter when you (repeatedly) failed to address the content of the discussion, instead branching off into yet another one of your brow-furrowing "contemplations" of the precise nature of the threads of the Emperor's new wardrobe.
I addressed the content as I saw it, and even asked him to address several issues as well.

As for St. Aquinas, correct me where I err, but he challenged you to demonstrate how Aquinas' philosophy argued in favor of the Christian god, and you never responded.
IIRC, I found it rather odd to demonstrate that Aquinas is talking about the Christian God as opposed to another conception of God.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
IIRC, I found it rather odd to demonstrate that Aquinas is talking about the Christian God as opposed to another conception of God.

You were attempting to use arguments of Aquinas' to support your Catholic beliefs. Catholicism, being a subset of Christianity, itself a subset of theism. If you're going to use the arguments of a theist philosopher, it makes sense to demonstrate that he argued in favor of your preferred variety of deity.

At any rate, this will just lead to a further derail of this thread. If you ever decide to begin another thread providing any substance whatsoever to the claim most central to your beliefs (that a deity exists), I'll certainly read it with interest.

S

Sniffles

Well my expertise tends to be more focused on anthropology than on metaphysics - but I fill in as best I can on that field.