User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    In any case, most of the board isn't really anti-christian at all, but they are against large organized religions and strict dogma that causes harm.
    That's like saying I don't hate bananas, but I hate all fruit. For 2000 years in various forms Christianity has always been an organized religion. Its only in the past 50 years or so that people have begun to see christianity as part of a religion buffet where they can pick and choose the beliefs they like and don't like from various religions. I find such a view of religion as incredibly self-centered.

When Christianity is reduced to part of a buffet of beliefs it ceases to be Christianity. Christianity in all of its major manifestations within protestantism, Roman Catholicism, and Eastern Orthodoxy has put an immense requirement on its followers that they die to themselves and live only for Christ. Thus in the grand scheme of things there is no middle ground. One is either christian or anti-christ. You either hate the christian God or you love him.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Senior Member ChildoftheProphets's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    That's like saying I don't hate bananas, but I hate all fruit.

. . . .

One is either christian or anti-christ. You either hate the christian God or you love him.
    Beefeater, this second post of yours, though well-intentioned, is off-topic. If we do create an actual BelieverCentral group, I assume we can start a thread about smorgasbord religion which could address this issue?

I'd even go so far as to create several different threads centering on the interaction and intersection of our basic faith and other specific worldviews: Christianity and Eastern Philosophy, Christianity and Rationality, Christianity and Existentialism.

I'd also suggest a less heady and more practical ministry thread and a prayer request thread as well.

Does this sound good everybody? And how does one go about making a group in the first place?
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -- Grantland Rice

“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.” -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ChildoftheProphets View Post
    I'd even go so far as to create several different threads centering on the interaction and intersection of our basic faith and other specific worldviews: Christianity and Eastern Philosophy, Christianity and Rationality, Christianity and Existentialism.
    Don't forget to include Christians Who Don't Believe Christ Existed, Christians Who Think Maybe Christ Existed But Don't Recognize Him as the Son of God, and Christians Who Worship Satan threads, too.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'd also suggest a less heady and more practical ministry thread and a prayer request thread as well.
    Here ya go...
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    There are members of the board who are against christianity, though they are rare in number.

The majority are moreso against ORGANIZED RELIGION, which christianity is just technically part of.

We have a large number of christians and agnostics on the board who don't mind the concept of christianity at all, they just go GRRRR at the political structure of such.

I have no issues with the idea of christianity, and think it has some very good points. However, I take that with a grain of salt; it has some truly abhorrent points as well, which are strictly enforced by evangelists, fundamentalists, and the vatican.

Such is not the fault of the religion as a whole, but the fault of individual power bases. Those that use a little common sense to translate whot they see into something that makes real sense, I have no issue with.

In any case, most of the board isn't really anti-christian at all, but they are against large organized religions and strict dogma that causes harm.
    Why do the objectors to organised religion not object to organised law or organised economy or organised government?

Its never made much sense to me and tends toward convincing me there's more than a little ignorance of the organic institutions in society necessary for the transmission of knowledge between generations so that we arent constantly reinventing the wheel.

Its fair enough to suggest that with each new epoch and original insights that the traditional practices deserve to be scrutinised and oppressive practices from earlier times dispensed with but that's different from indicting tradition per se.

In reality we all owe some debt to traditions which would make us flinch or which we would, probably rightly, hold reprehensible. A simple one would be remembering that Aristotle, Plato, Epictetus, Epicurous and others were all able to spend time creating such brilliant philosophy because they were put at ease by a slave owning economy.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

why not create a weekly gathering of believers right here on Typology Central? Each weekend, someone can post a link to a Biblical passage, as well as write a few short paragraphs to express their interpretation of it or otherwise encourage discussion. The rest of us (including skeptics and those of other faiths who'd like to join in) can voice our opinions as well.
    I'm game for this.

And if any other Christians here are interested in doing something like this, I ask you to please answer me one more question: what is it that has disheartened you most about modern Christianity, and what may be Christianity's greatest strength or chance for the future?
    I have two issues which are really two parts of the same problem.

1. Most of Christianity is so traditional that it has become mostly irrelevant to the modern world.

2. Most of the attempted remedies are at least as bad as the initial problem, i.e. liberals tend to throw out most Biblical teaching, while conservatives are trying to legislate Christianity! (And some faiths seem to do both.)
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Well, if we created a new thread within the context of a group, couldn't the thread be private instead of public? A private prayer request thread would seem to make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why do the objectors to organised religion not object to organised law or organised economy or organised government?
    Lark, you're off-topic. (But as a matter of consistency, I am against big government and economic planning, in addition to rigid church hierarchy. I also think arbitration may be the most efficient way to resolve disputes at the level of civil law, but not criminal law. If you want to continue on this line of thought, please start another thread or PM me.)
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

-- Grantland Rice

“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.” -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well, if we created a new thread within the context of a group, couldn't the thread be private instead of public? A private prayer request thread would seem to make more sense.
    Do you mean in the "social groups" section? Because you can't make private threads in the main section of the forum, besides the private temperament forums.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFP

Keep up the good thoughts everyone! Maybe we'll actually find a way to improve the Body of Christ somehow! (All in good faith of course.)

As for my thoughts:

1. The most disheartening thing about Christianity today is how artificially big, dysfunctional, and unloving it has become. Denominationalism has created dogmatism, clerical abuse of power, and inter-Christian conflict that distracts believers from helping our communities while simultaneously making us the laughing stock of the secular world. Compared to the intimate house churches of the first-century Christians, the outward structure of our modern faith is unrecognizable.

2. Society is always changing, and at least in America, it has seemed particularly malleable since 9/11. If this openness to change is just as true for groups within a society as it is for the society itself, now may very well be the time to finish what Martin Luther started: a return to faith based not in buildings or titles, but in relationships and love.

-- Grantland Rice

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Do you mean in the "social groups" section? Because you can't make private threads in the main section of the forum, besides the private temperament forums.
    I'm really not sure. I've only been here a week. How do all the different groups work? What are the privacy settings? How are they moderated?

All this would factor in I suppose . . . .

-- Grantland Rice