First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    My beliefs aren't that fragile. Feel free to heckle me as well.

It's not like I need to go through tests of faith, like you. Being a non-believer is pretty easy.

But really, I should leave you Christians to talk quietly amongst yourself and discuss the teachings of Jesus.
    Thank you.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ChildoftheProphets View Post
    I was looking through a religion thread here earlier this week, and I was surprised to see how many Christians there are on this forum!
    Wow, funny. Yesterday I was thinking, while reading that German homeschooling thread, how anti-Christian this forum is.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Are you kidding me, this is the most uber-Christian board I know, Jeff.

Senior Member ChildoftheProphets's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

@ Lark: Well, maybe not in the precise target audience, but that's no reason to kick you out from any future discussions lol! The Catholic church has a lot going for it (yet no denomination is perfect), I would love to hear your thoughts on things if this BelieverCentral idea gets off the ground (thank you for the name, Blaise--nonbelievers always come up with the best names).

@ Cafe: I was thinking the weekly threads would be pretty straightforward and easy to run, but I also thought a private group might be good to have in addition to that, to allow for any unexpected growth and change which may come out of the public threads.

I don't know, we'll see how things go; after getting more feedback from this particular thread, I'll feel more inclined to start the real one. (Maybe next week?)

@ ajblaise: You could always start a parallel heckling thread for those who are so inclined.

@ Jeffster: I haven't peeked into that discussion; what's been going on?

@ Colors: "Uber-Christian"? Hmm, is that a bad thing or a good thing? I'm getting horrible visions of Christ-Nietzsche crossbreeds coming down from their mountain and proclaiming "Mankind is dead," or something.

@ Elaur: I've often thought the same thing. Gatherings of believers are supposed to minister to each other's physical and psychological needs, not just those of the predominant personality type, whether it be the SJs or SPs or NFs or NTs.

And yes, a lot of good came out of the Reformation by restoring corrupted doctrine and striking a blow to the predatory practices of Christian hierachy. Still, Martin Luther wasn't perfect (he could be described as a rather temperamental anti-Semite at times, although I'll admit kidney stones would make me temperamental too . . . .). Also, I think the Reformation could have gone further by completely removing clerical hierchy from Christianity, as such formalized and powerful top-down structure was unheard of in Paul's day. (Pastors and deacons were not even supposed to have paid positions of full-time employment; they were supposed to be volunteers with day-jobs.)
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -- Grantland Rice

Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules. -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

I'd be interested. I'd also like to see RC involvement. There are many misunderstandings between protestants and RCs that might be cleared up in conversations here. Also, I think the eastern orthodox should be welcome as well if we have any.

Along with answering your question it might be a good idea for people to give a short bio so everyone knows where people are coming from.

As for me, I was raised in a typical evangelical suburban non-denominational church. Their beliefs were basically those of baptists except we didn't have alter calls. I attended a christian high school at my church. My Bible teacher was a reformed baptist. Through his teaching I began to focus more on what the bible taught and began to see that the teachings of the reformers lined up the most with scripture. By the time I got to college I had surpassed my teacher in my reformed-ness and became a full blown Presbyterian. My beliefs on what scripture teaches are about 95-98% in line with what the westminster confession of faith teaches.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildoftheProphets View Post

And if any other Christians here are interested in doing something like this, I ask you to please answer me one more question: what is it that has disheartened you most about modern Christianity, and what may be Christianity's greatest strength or chance for the future?
    What disheartens me most about the modern state of the church in america (I really can't speak for other geographic areas) is biblical ignorance on the part of the left, right, and center of the church.

Much of the right side of the church relies too much on tradition for the sake of tradition and not tradition based upon the bible. I have no problems with tradition in and of itself. I think traditions can be very stabilizing, but they are not on par with with scripture.

I think many in the center want to avoid controversy and be broadly appealing. In their attempt to do so they break down the gospel to the most simplistic grounds and never develop an understanding of how the bible speaks to all aspects of life.

I think much of the left have the same concern as the center and desire to be relevant to society. My fear is that much of the left has abandoned the gospel altogether and ignores what scripture plainly teaches. The left want to be compassionate, but they surrender the truth.

I think the church's greatest hope for the future is in Christ himself. I believe in a sovereign God and thus I believe that the church is in the state that it is in for a purpose and God will make good of the bad.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

If you do allow non-Christians to participate I enjoy discussing religion from a theological viewpoint as opposed to that of a beleiver

I beleive in SOMETHING, I'm just not exactly sure of what yet As a result I've spent quite a bit of time reading about various religions and their development and histories. I lean towards eastern religions (and would probably be enthusiastic if most didn't suggest not eating meat ) but was raised Methodist
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    What does "uber-Christian" mean?

In most topics where Christianity is brought up, it is treated like a disease. If you add the word "Evangelical" to it, then it becomes an even more repulsive disease.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    What does "uber-Christian" mean?

In most topics where Christianity is brought up, it is treated like a disease. If you add the word "Evangelical" to it, then it becomes an even more repulsive disease.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think the majority of the forum is Christian. Even if most aren't exactly vocal about it. But there is a decent amount of regulars that do talk openly about it.

Then agnostic is the second largest group. But it's close.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

There are members of the board who are against christianity, though they are rare in number.

The majority are moreso against ORGANIZED RELIGION, which christianity is just technically part of.

We have a large number of christians and agnostics on the board who don't mind the concept of christianity at all, they just go GRRRR at the political structure of such.

I have no issues with the idea of christianity, and think it has some very good points. However, I take that with a grain of salt; it has some truly abhorrent points as well, which are strictly enforced by evangelists, fundamentalists, and the vatican.

Such is not the fault of the religion as a whole, but the fault of individual power bases. Those that use a little common sense to translate whot they see into something that makes real sense, I have no issue with.

In any case, most of the board isn't really anti-christian at all, but they are against large organized religions and strict dogma that causes harm.