User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on it?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good thing

13 15.29%
  • Bad thing

22 25.88%
  • Unsure

2 2.35%
  • Neither good nor bad

48 56.47%
First 56789 Last

Thread: Teenage Sex

IMO Having sex before your brain has fully developed its ability to think logically is just silly. Of course not many people would agree with me that people should wait until they're 25, but I've noticed that around this age people start thinking logically about their futures.

Also some research seems to suggest that teens (especially girls) who engage ins sex are more prone to depression and suicide. I know I felt like committing suicide after several relationships fell apart almost immediately after sex. And that was between 18-21.

behttp://www.heritage.org/research/abstinence/cda0304.cfm

I also read statistics which suggest the average high school relationship lasts about 3 months. That means you have 16 opportunities to bond sexually and have your heart ripped out and crushed by teens who are only beginning to learn respectful behavior.

In my county alone a recent study by WHO stated that 25% of people between the age of 15-25 had an STD, but they estimated it was more likely to be around 75%. So you tell me who is more likely to get tested or insist on a condom? A 15 year old girl or a 25 year old girl?

Finally, I think in an already narcissistic society we should be doing things to empower our youth in non-sexual ways. Our teens struggle with finding themselves and bad self image enough without throwing the inevitable rejection after sex into the mix.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    IMO Having sex before your brain has fully developed its ability to think logically is just silly. Of course not many people would agree with me that people should wait until they're 25, but I've noticed that around this age people start thinking logically about their futures.

Also some research seems to suggest that teens (especially girls) who engage ins sex are more prone to depression and suicide. I know I felt like committing suicide after several relationships fell apart almost immediately after sex. And that was between 18-21.

behttp://www.heritage.org/research/abstinence/cda0304.cfm

I also read statistics which suggest the average high school relationship lasts about 3 months. That means you have 16 opportunities to bond sexually and have your heart ripped out and crushed by teens who are only beginning to learn respectful behavior.

In my county alone a recent study by WHO stated that 25% of people between the age of 15-25 had an STD, but they estimated it was more likely to be around 75%. So you tell me who is more likely to get tested or insist on a condom? A 15 year old girl or a 25 year old girl?

Finally, I think in an already narcissistic society we should be doing things to empower our youth in non-sexual ways. Our teens struggle with finding themselves and bad self image enough without throwing the inevitable rejection after sex into the mix.
    The best post I've read on this topic in a good five years. If not more than that.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
    Yes, I do think that the negative effects are society-fulfilling prophesies that are intensified when they happen to teenagers. Regret doesn't really happen unless you feel you should have done something differently. And shoulds are judgments that we accept from the outside world.

Heartbreak, STDs, pregnancy, loss of self-esteem...none of those are exclusive to teens. Heartbreak is a part of life. STDs are terrible, no matter what age you are. Pregnancy is a natural consequence of sex and traumatic at any age if you aren't ready to be a parent. Loss of self-esteem is possible at any point, depending on what you believe you should be doing instead of what you are doing or have done.

I lost my virginity at 17. I also got pregnant with my son at 17. I can't really say I regret having sex, because it was really just a natural life progression. Having a baby in and of itself wasn't even a horrible thing. What made it hard was
    1) The social stigma
    2)The fact that a 17 year old is not really able to successfully support themselves at that age in today's world.
    3)The knowledge that it could have been prevented if I was given a shot at a sexual education instead of having abstinence shoved down my throat.

So, anyway, my point is that, yes, the consequences of teenage sex can be steep, and trying to protect teenagers from those consequences is a great thing, but simply saying NO SEX because of societal reasons is contrary to nature, and we should expect to fail. Sexual education is a must, and I don't mean one textbookly boring class in high school, either.

/incoherent rant
    I like this post.

It's likely the case that most of us, ideally, abstain for life; but alas, "mature" adults continue to have sex and create irresponsible, sex-crazed, teenagers out of thin air.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Finally, I'd like to hear you explain more about the bolded. Are you worried about going to college as a virgin?
    I agree with this, your experience or worries does not have to be a universal "teenage sex" concern. It can just be an antimony concern.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

STDs have the capability to ruin your entire life. Most teenagers are only partially aware of this danger, and sometimes don't take all the necessary measures to remain safe. That's all I have to say, I voted neither good nor bad.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Senior Member ChildoftheProphets's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    STDs have the capability to ruin your entire life. Most teenagers are only partially aware of this danger, and sometimes don't take all the necessary measures to remain safe. That's all I have to say, I voted neither good nor bad.
    Actually, most teenagers OVER-estimate the risk of STDs and pregnancy:

Book of Odds--Teens Overestimate Risks—and Decide they’re Worth Taking

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/18/he...brod.html?_r=1

But I will agree that execution of safe-sex is lacking:

Teen pregnancy, abortion rates rise - USATODAY.com
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -- Grantland Rice

“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.” -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by ChildoftheProphets View Post
    Actually, most teenagers OVER-estimate the risk of STDs and pregnancy:

Book of Odds--Teens Overestimate Risks—and Decide they’re Worth Taking
    Isn't it now like 1 in 5 people have genital herpes? How could anyone overestimate the risk of that?

Senior Member ChildoftheProphets's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Isn't it now like 1 in 5 people under 25 have genital herpes? How could anyone overestimate the risk of that?
    Lol, I thought it was 1 in 4; that might just prove the point.

(But really, I think the issue here is that people need to make health and safety a priority, and not be willing to throw out their judgments in a moment of passion or weakness. Or be willing to trade that health and safety for short-term pleasure. I remember hearing an interview once where someone was quoting a friend: "Wait a minute, drugs are THAT dangerous, but people STILL use them? Sign me up! I wanna feel that good!")
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -- Grantland Rice

“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.” -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I wish this thread could some how be merged with the other ones in sexuality and mature topics forum, there's good points being made here that arent travelling. And the discussion there is revolving around even younger children (seven year olds) being made aware of sex.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wish this thread could some how be merged with the other ones in sexuality and mature topics forum, there's good points being made here that arent travelling. And the discussion there is revolving around even younger children (seven year olds) being made aware of sex.
    This is a thread where a teenager is asking for advice. That other thread is more just like debate of yet another abstract topic to be hashed to bits as that is what most of here enjoy to do.