User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on it?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good thing

13 15.29%
  • Bad thing

22 25.88%
  • Unsure

2 2.35%
  • Neither good nor bad

48 56.47%
First 45678 Last

Thread: Teenage Sex

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

As far as I can tell, humans enter reproductive age at aproximately age 13-14. So I would think that it is normal for sexual attraction to start around this time. I do think that people should collect experiences at that age.

Instead of focusing on suppressing people's (teenager's) natural desire for sex because of prudery / shame we should instead focus on providing information on safe / responsible sexual behaviours.

Suppressing such information out of fear that it will encourage teens to have sex is exactly the wrong approach. It will do nothing to suppress their sexual drive but will isntead cause them to engage in unsafe sexual behaviour out of ignorance.

I am European btw.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    How can you "illegally" have a child, I wonder?
    You are nit picking, i'm sure you know precisely what i meant. The legal age of consent is 16 therefor under law you are legally considered old enough to have a child at the age of 16. Maybe i didn't express it clearly enough for your liking but you understood, you just want to argue.
    Anything else a problem for You?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Razor View Post
    As far as I can tell, humans enter reproductive age at aproximately age 13-14. So I would think that it is normal for sexual attraction to start around this time. I do think that people should collect experiences at that age.

Instead of focusing on suppressing people's (teenager's) natural desire for sex because of prudery / shame we should instead focus on providing information on safe / responsible sexual behaviours.

Suppressing such information out of fear that it will encourage teens to have sex is exactly the wrong approach. It will do nothing to suppress their sexual drive but will isntead cause them to engage in unsafe sexual behaviour out of ignorance.

I am European btw.
    This reminds me of when i was seventeen and had a Dutch boyfriend. I used to visit him a lot in Amsterdam. The age of consent in Holland was, at that time 14. I met scores of dutch teenagers out there and rarely did i met anyone who wasn't completely comfortable about their sexuality. Even though the age of consent was low and they were very open about sex i found that most teens i met were not in a rush to loose their virginity.
    Consequently many waited until their late teens.

Odly, Spain has the lowest age of consent in Europe.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Razor View Post

I am European btw.
    I think the vast majority of people, at least posting here, agree with this.

I think the thread is more about safe sex vs. no sex, and not at all about the viability of abstinence-only "education". I'm not sure it's a good idea to have sex at the early ages where you begin to be sexually attracted any more than it's a good idea to have a child as soon as you get your first period at maybe age 12. It may be biologically possible/encouraged but that doesn't mean it's necessarily wise.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

*sighs dramatically*

I really wish I could reply to many of these posts, but that would take way too much time and screen space.

So I am noticing this general trend (don't slap me for stating the obvious)

1) Some people think it is really selfish (It can be, in a way. Under some circumstances)
    2) Some people think it is tied to emotion (I, myself, do not. Who want to have sex and expect something major from that act? To me, that is dumb, and that is where many, many girls get hurt. If something comes with it, great. It doesn't come from it. It is a physical thing to me, and I have been thrown into a loop from being told 'you are going to regret this' but I could find no reason as to why this would be so /rant)
    3) Some think it is just an act (well...it is and isn't. See above.)

Oh, and I can definitely say one does not become 'sexual' at 20. I can say that from looking all around me.

Anyways, what I want to know is, some think it is just a completely adult act. Like, even if there were no chance of pregnancy, whatsoever, it is just something you SHOULD NOT DO because that is for the big kids, right? Not some silly 16 year old.

And I kind of don't want to go to college and just do it there. I mean, I am going there in a year, meaning I will be 17. Still a teenager.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Oh, and I can definitely say one does not become 'sexual' at 20. I can say that from looking all around me.
    What does "being sexual" mean?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    What does "being sexual" mean?
    The way I meant it was recognizing yourself as a sexual being and wanting that kind of activity.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

women need to say no to sex until they are comfortable getting pregnant. if not then teenage sex is a bad idea.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I reckon the age of conscent being placed at 16 is fair, it prevents the criminalisation of young people who will not heed advice and saves the authorities from arresting and prosecuting those who dont fit the frame of most predatory in nature.

However, that said I do think that people are in fact actually maturing later and later in life, so its ridiculous to debate whether or not sexual activity from as young as 13 years is natural, whether you are physically prepared for a particular life stage or challenge is insufficient criteria by itself to make that judgement.

I would seriously sugget that people need to only embark upon sexual activity when they are ready, which could be 21 or later given a lot of trends that exist (in the UK a lot of people used to leave home, independently earn a living wage, maintain a home/residence of their own and have at least one successful relationship by the age of 17 or 18 but now people are remaining resident in the parental home, often partically or completely dependent upon their parents or the state until their thirties).

This is one of those things, if teenagers are unable to manage relationships well enough to hold down a job, act responsibly, sensibily and cleverly as consumers and meet with all those challenges why should there be cultural acceptability of sexual activity among that population?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    *sighs dramatically*

I really wish I could reply to many of these posts, but that would take way too much time and screen space.

So I am noticing this general trend (don't slap me for stating the obvious)

1) Some people think it is really selfish (It can be, in a way. Under some circumstances)
    2) Some people think it is tied to emotion (I, myself, do not. Who want to have sex and expect something major from that act? To me, that is dumb, and that is where many, many girls get hurt. If something comes with it, great. It doesn't come from it. It is a physical thing to me, and I have been thrown into a loop from being told 'you are going to regret this' but I could find no reason as to why this would be so /rant)
    3) Some think it is just an act (well...it is and isn't. See above.)

Anyways, what I want to know is, some think it is just a completely adult act. Like, even if there were no chance of pregnancy, whatsoever, it is just something you SHOULD NOT DO because that is for the big kids, right? Not some silly 16 year old.

And I kind of don't want to go to college and just do it there. I mean, I am going there in a year, meaning I will be 17. Still a teenager.

I personally don't think 16 year olds are silly at all, at least not the ones I know. It's just that there really is a time and place for everything, and at 16 most people are really busy in school, with extracurricular activities, and with their family. Add to this that you will be (leaving home?) going to college in one year, do you want to spend the last year at home beginning your sexual life, and taking on things that might arise from that that you might not be able to foresee? You might never live at home again; this is your final bonding time with your family before heading out into the world--with parents, with siblings, with friends who will go elsewhere, etc. Whereas you have the rest of your life to be sexual, and to experience everything that sex brings with it (which you cannot always foresee).

As for number 2, I remember reading an article when I went to the health dept for my exam, that said that teenage girls and college-age girls were trying to take a new tack in the sexual relationship realm; that they were trying to be more like stereotypical guys in that they were participating in more free sex and one night stands, outside of meaningful relationships, in an effort to be sexually liberated. But the findings of this study were that no matter how much females wanted to be free of the bonds of emotion, they were not in the end. After they had sex, the study found that they yearned for the guys they had slept with anyway, causing the same intense heartache they had been trying to avoid. Many women, no matter how much they think they can, cannot have no-strings-attached sex. So, my point is that it would be better to be a bit more mature (a year or two even) when you do have sex, because you will have more maturity and life experience to contemplate this sort of thing before doing something spontaneously that you just might regret.

Finally, I'd like to hear you explain more about the bolded. Are you worried about going to college as a virgin?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com