User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on it?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good thing

13 15.29%
  • Bad thing

22 25.88%
  • Unsure

2 2.35%
  • Neither good nor bad

48 56.47%
First 34567 Last

Thread: Teenage Sex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTj

I think in theory it would be okay for young adults 15-16 to start having sex, but education is key from both the parents and the school. That's advising, not telling. Telling teenagers what to do often either turns to rebellion or strict adherence.

So in theory, yes it's okay. In actuality, usually not. However, masturbation is a good thing and I would suggest doing that first regardless. I voted it's neither good nor bad.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kat View Post
    Where I live you are supposed to lose your virginity before you're 17, otherwhise you're a freak. Even adults seem to think that way. Guess why people think I'm mentally disturbed.
    This

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Do you think that negative affects, like regretting it, are kind of like a self fulfilling prophecy, put into place by society?

Kind of like: you are going to regret this.

Teen: I am going to regret this. Why? Because society tells me I will.
    Yes, I do think that the negative effects are society-fulfilling prophesies that are intensified when they happen to teenagers. Regret doesn't really happen unless you feel you should have done something differently. And shoulds are judgments that we accept from the outside world.

Heartbreak, STDs, pregnancy, loss of self-esteem...none of those are exclusive to teens. Heartbreak is a part of life. STDs are terrible, no matter what age you are. Pregnancy is a natural consequence of sex and traumatic at any age if you aren't ready to be a parent. Loss of self-esteem is possible at any point, depending on what you believe you should be doing instead of what you are doing or have done.

I lost my virginity at 17. I also got pregnant with my son at 17. I can't really say I regret having sex, because it was really just a natural life progression. Having a baby in and of itself wasn't even a horrible thing. What made it hard was
    1) The social stigma
    2)The fact that a 17 year old is not really able to successfully support themselves at that age in today's world.
    3)The knowledge that it could have been prevented if I was given a shot at a sexual education instead of having abstinence shoved down my throat.

So, anyway, my point is that, yes, the consequences of teenage sex can be steep, and trying to protect teenagers from those consequences is a great thing, but simply saying NO SEX because of societal reasons is contrary to nature, and we should expect to fail. Sexual education is a must, and I don't mean one textbookly boring class in high school, either.

/incoherent rant

~*79% Extraverted*~
    ~*74% iNtuition*~
    ~*74% Feeling*~
    ~*58% Judging*~

Enneagram Type: SX 3w2

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I certainly agree that it is not enough to just say it's a bad idea. Whatever you do should be the product of information, discussion, observation and conviction. Having said that, abstinence programs or advice don't negate the ability of a person to do some research themselves and make their own decision. I grew up in evangelical Christian circles, but surprisingly never heard anything at all at church. Teen-aid (an abstinence based program) came into our school, but I don't think I would have made a decision one way or the other on the strength of that. Two afternoons of teaching aren't enough to really impact people where they're at. I think something has to truly become your own conviction before it is of lasting use in decision making.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I certainly agree that it is not enough to just say it's a bad idea. Whatever you do should be the product of information, discussion, observation and conviction. Having said that, abstinence programs or advice don't negate the ability of a person to do some research themselves and make their own decision. I grew up in evangelical Christian circles, but surprisingly never heard anything at all at church. Teen-aid (an abstinence based program) came into our school, but I don't think I would have made a decision one way or the other on the strength of that. Two afternoons of teaching aren't enough to really impact people where they're at. I think something has to truly become your own conviction before it is of lasting use in decision making.
    But how easily something becomes your own conviction is entirely dependent on the person and how much faith they have in the institution. There are countless teenagers out there who have decided to stay abstinent because of rallies, or their parents' teachings, and those are not necessarily educated judgments.
    I am in no way saying abstinence programs are wrong or harmful in and of themselves. But without education in case of a moment of passion or a complete dismissal of that belief system, we're leaving those kids out in the water without a life raft out of fear that even talking about safe sex will push them over to the dark side. There are also plenty of teens who made the decision to abstain because they weighed the pros and cons and decided it was for them, and plenty who decided to have sex and did it as safely as possible because of their own self-education. But I care more about my children (and children in general) than to assume that they're going to go out and get that information themselves. Hopefully I'm doing my job the way I'd like to be and they will be independent thinkers and explore the possibilities and educate themselves, but who knows? My bent that way didn't do me much good in my younger, passion-filled ways

Anyway, I don't think we disagree on anything

~*79% Extraverted*~
    ~*74% iNtuition*~
    ~*74% Feeling*~
    ~*58% Judging*~

Enneagram Type: SX 3w2

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

No no matter what time people choose to have sex, they still should be well-educated about birth control options just to be an informed person. I agree with you that faith in an institution sometimes prevents people from figuring out what they really think or from facing practical issues that are sure to arise (pardon the pun).

I've come to believe that no matter our what our personal convictions are, you could put anyone of any age into the right circumstances and their physical and emotional self will override it. We've been designed that way on purpose! Therefore I think it is important to teach people what kind of circumstances they need to avoid and how or else teach them how to have sex responsibly. Pretending that an intellectual understanding is enough is where a lot of those systems break down and with serious repercussions for everyone involved.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
    But how easily something becomes your own conviction is entirely dependent on the person and how much faith they have in the institution. There are countless teenagers out there who have decided to stay abstinent because of rallies, or their parents' teachings, and those are not necessarily educated judgments.
    I am in no way saying abstinence programs are wrong or harmful in and of themselves. But without education in case of a moment of passion or a complete dismissal of that belief system, we're leaving those kids out in the water without a life raft out of fear that even talking about safe sex will push them over to the dark side. There are also plenty of teens who made the decision to abstain because they weighed the pros and cons and decided it was for them, and plenty who decided to have sex and did it as safely as possible because of their own self-education.
    I completely agree. At this moment in my life (and I don't know how I will feel later down the road), I'm comfortable abstaining. I'm not at a point where I feel the need to have sex, or where I feel greatly pressured by my beliefs about the act. However, I have nothing against sex ed, and have learned quite a bit about how to have sex as protected as possible (for which I blame my roommate and the internet, haha). If you're going to have sex, you should be educated about it. So many problems are the result of lack of knowledge, and that's not fair. Even if you're not having sex, you should be aware of how you can do it safely. How else can you make a fair decision about your sex life?

My roommate gave me a box of condoms to bring with me to visit my boyfriend this weekend. I'm not planning to have sex, yet the fact that she gave me them to me didn't offend me at all. In fact, I think it's sweet. She wants me to be safe, just in case those beliefs do waver.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I find it contradictory that here (uk) you can legally have a child at the age of 16 Whereby you have the sole responsibility of a life, yet you can not legally gamble, drink alcohol or go to a club.
    I'm not sure of the answer, hence voting "not sure", as i believe it is to do with personal maturity. The body and mind have a funny way of showing us this, it certainly comes post puberty.
    As already mentioned many times good awareness and education are very important when making the decision about ones virginity.
    I also believe in respecting your own body and not being peer pressured into the fine art of love making.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I find it contradictory that here (uk) you can legally have a child at the age of 16
    How can you "illegally" have a child, I wonder?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Teenage sex seems quite retarded, because a person, generally becomes aware of his, or her, sexual self at ages from 20 - psychosocially.