User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on it?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good thing

13 15.29%
  • Bad thing

22 25.88%
  • Unsure

2 2.35%
  • Neither good nor bad

48 56.47%
First 1234 Last

Thread: Teenage Sex

heart on fire

While past research has linked early sexual activity to health problems, a new study suggests that waiting too long to start having sex carries risks of its own.

Those who lose their virginity at a later age -- around 21 to 23 years of age -- tend to be more likely to experience sexual dysfunction problems later, say researchers at Columbia University and the New York State Psychiatric Institute's HIV Center for Clinical and Behavioral Studies
    With studies like this, my question is always which came first? Was there a predisposition to feel more able to wait (like maybe lower sex desire) and the underlying causes of this are what truly lead to the sex problems later in life? Or was it the actual fact of waiting too long to have sex?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    With studies like this, my question is always which came first? Was there a predisposition to feel more able to wait (like maybe lower sex desire) and the underlying causes of this are what truly lead to the sex problems later in life? Or was it the actual fact of waiting too long to have sex?
    Yeah the article mentions that they are not specifically making any claims about the causal relationship between age of "sexual debut" (as they term it) and sexual health later in life. Ya know, that whole correlation doesn't imply causation rule, yadda, yadda. Just thought it would be interesting to ponder.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    -
    - Birth control pills do have a very significant number of negative health side effects, in addition to messing with who you find attractive! They also aren't recommended for women to be on for most of their reproductive years (so if you start now, you are using up time you could take them later). They are ineffective if not taken consistently at the same time or if taken with antibiotics. Other forms of birth control aren't nearly as reliable as you'd like them to be if it's important not to get pregnant. Many adults can't even take care of this part of their sex life responsibly.

It's a commonly held myth that women must take breaks from birth control pills. All the information I ever read says that the pill can be taken continuously, even by women over forty as long as they are non-smokers.

Myths About the Combination Pill from American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

it's about halfway down the page, a blue box lists all the common myths about BCP.

If you smoke or have certain medical conditions, then yes, the pill is probably not the best choice for you. But for nonsmokers the facts do not support many of the myths.

I personally would think BCP is a very good choice for older teens who are absolutely set on being sexually active because it is so effective. I was on the pill for nearly two decades and I never had a problem from it. You just keep it where ever you do your morning or evening routine and it becomes second nature. Anyone with enough discipline to drive a car safely should be able to remember to take a pill once a day.

Honestly a teenagers brain is different from an adult brain. They don't function in the same manner. Teenagers use the limbic system in their brain for making decisions, while adults use their prefrontal cortex, which is the seat of emotion and decision making. It helps by being the "control center" of decisions, by utilizing different areas of the brain and having them work together to come to the best conclusion/decision. The teenage brain and the adult brain are different. Period.

Sex is something that can be great, and it can have great consequences. It would seem to me that waiting would be better because if you're making decisions based on immediate gratification, they may not be the best decisions, and they're ones you cannot take back.

Now I'm not even talking about virginity. If that's your thing, that's fine. I'm more talking about the fact that you may, and most people do, maybe more women, look back and regret who they've slept with. I've heard it a million times. Particularly the first person they've slept with. It is sad to me how many women I know that are in that boat.

Good luck.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Senior Member ChildoftheProphets's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    Honestly a teenagers brain is different from an adult brain. They don't function in the same manner. Teenagers use the limbic system in their brain for making decisions, while adults use their prefrontal cortex, which is the seat of emotion and decision making. It helps by being the "control center" of decisions, by utilizing different areas of the brain and having them work together to come to the best conclusion/decision. The teenage brain and the adult brain are different. Period.

Sex is something that can be great, and it can have great consequences. It would seem to me that waiting would be better because if you're making decisions based on immediate gratification, they may not be the best decisions, and they're ones you cannot take back.
    Hmm, I recall it being the other way around--teenagers each use their prefrontal cortex (which isn't completely wired yet), while adults use more of the emotional parts of their brains which allow their extensive past experience to influence the decision-making process.

Also, although Western teenagers tend to go through very stormy, immature years between childhood and adulthood, teenagers in many other cultures display less depressive, addictive, and reckless behavior.

Locking up a bunch of horny kids with others their own age for over 6 hours a day when the ratio between them and their adult supervisors is 30 to 1, doesn't seem like a very good way to impart social and emotional maturity. This is a failure of modern, Western education that is usually overlooked.
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -- Grantland Rice

“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.” -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

MBTI
    INTx

I don't think it's good or bad. Biologically people are ready when they're ready. Socialogically it depends on the person and it's hard to determine, nevermind moderate.

I'm more of the mind to let those things run their own course and to stress education as to avoid stupid decisions. Society is generally not suited to handle teenage pregancies and STDs are avoidable.

Here is one source. There was a PDF that I had at one point from my schools database... But this will have to suffice, for now at least.

Inside the Teen Brain - US News and World Report
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yeah Antimony, I have given some thought to the variation in maturity levels. Certainly there are some teenagers out there who are much more grown up than adults. On the other hand:

1) What are the chances that their partner also is that mature? (boys notoriously mature more slowly and if you are limited to the guys in your community, you might just be hooped)

2) In retrospect, although I had many things I was good at, was well liked in highschool, came from a secure home situation and was pretty confident, I not only changed a lot, but became much more confident over the next few years. There were some situations at that time which I hadn't had the opportunity to "script" myself with what I could/would say to handle awkward situations and in some cases I walked into situations that could potentially have turned out badly (but which I figured would be fine or just went into because I wasn't sure of how to get out of easily). I realize you are quite a different type than me, but ended up being glad that I did put off that part of life at that point in time.

3) One of the reasons I don't think it's a great idea is that most of the women I know regret who their first partner was or the circumstances under which they first had sex. I realize there are some who don't feel that way, but a lot more do.

4) You're the one in the best condition to look out for your own emotional/physical best interests. You teach people how to treat you and when you look out for your own safety and well-being, others tend to follow suit. I don't really think it's a self-fulfilling thing re having sex early as I've lived in a culture where sex at 12 or 13 is the norm (and there is no stigma attached to promiscuity or discouragement of teenaged sex/pregnancy. The women I met had many of the same feelings as those in the culture I grew up in).

Re BCP hormones - I have run into a wide variety of literature as well as GP opinions (my old roommate was a doctor and we have a number of friends who are in the medical profession - either as doctors or nurses) whom I've discussed it with. If you would like links to literature, I can hunt them up.

Quite aside from health, BC pills can play havoc with your emotions until they find the combination of strengths of each hormone that is appropriate for you personally. Different brands and varieties all will affect you differently.

Long term research (over more than one generation) is not present about the effects of artificial hormones on our bodies yet.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Re BCP hormones - I have run into a wide variety of literature as well as GP opinions (my old roommate was a doctor and we have a number of friends who are in the medical profession - either as doctors or nurses) whom I've discussed it with. If you would like links to literature, I can hunt them up.

Quite aside from health, BC pills can play havoc with your emotions until they find the combination of strengths of each hormone that is appropriate for you personally. Different brands and varieties all will affect you differently.

Long term research (over more than one generation) is not present about the effects of artificial hormones on our bodies yet.
    It's true that many individual doctors have their own opinions but the general consensus of the OBGYN community seems to be an overwhelming "you don't need to take a break from the BCP."

I never had a doctor tell me I needed to take a break from them. I have never seen an authoriative source say one needed to take a break from them. But yes, alternative medicine is going to have a different take on it.

The best person for anyone to ask about this is of course their own OBGYN.

Senior Member ChildoftheProphets's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    Here is one source. There was a PDF that I had at one point from my schools database... But this will have to suffice, for now at least.

Inside the Teen Brain - US News and World Report
    Haha, I have a link for you too:

Trashing Teens | Psychology Today

It's an interview with psychologist Robert Epstein, a champion of adolescent rights and research.
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -- Grantland Rice

“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.” -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow