• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Be Careful What You Wish For...

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Because, you may receive it.

I have been thinking about those words for a bit and wondered if anyone here had experienced this.

Have you ever wished for something, received it, and then no longer wanted it? Why did you change your mind?

There are many reasons that I can think of, but I would like to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences on this.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I have been thinking about those words for a bit and wondered if anyone here had experienced this.

Have you ever wished for something, received it, and then no longer wanted it? Why did you change your mind?

There are many reasons that I can think of, but I would like to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences on this.

I am a big believer in making my dreams come to life.

If I wish for something, that means that I am initiating a series of thoughts and activities which I will execute until my wish is realized.

Because of that, I am aware that my want for something will result in work on my part in attaining it.

Then I think about the work, and determine if the wish being realized is worth the effort. If it is, I do what i need to make it happen. If it isn't, I let it be at that, and move on.

There is a big difference between wishing for something and having the magic of the universe grant it to you without any work on your part, and recognizing a wish as an internally synthesized desire that compels you to do the work necessary in making it happen.

I can't think of any major event in my life that I busted my ass to make happen, and regretted it later. :happy:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My friends like to make fun of me for whining about not getting something, getting it and then whining that I got it. So apparently I do it!

P

Phantonym

Sort of. I learned a long time ago not to wish for much. Things have always come to me, good things, but they're mostly meaningless to me. So, I guess I've gotten my wish. :D

I see wanting and wishing for something similar to being a kid in a candy store when all you've done for quite a while is wishing for loads of candy. At first it is seemingly unbelievable satisfaction and excitement but it wears off pretty fast because what's supposed to happen now? Before all that you had focus, drive to work towards something but now there appears to be nothing, you're satiated and all that you wanted seems like a burden.

wolfy

awsm
I have done that a lot of times. You know how it is, everywhere you go you go too.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I am a big believer in making my dreams come to life.

If I wish for something, that means that I am initiating a series of thoughts and activities which I will execute until my wish is realized.

I am like this as well. I tend to make things happen.

There is a big difference between wishing for something and having the magic of the universe grant it to you without any work on your part, and recognizing a wish as an internally synthesized desire that compels you to do the work necessary in making it happen.

I can't think of any major event in my life that I busted my ass to make happen, and regretted it later. :happy:

I agree that if you for work for something you are much more apt to really want it. Or at least to not be disappointed in it. I work for what I really want in life. I make things happen, as much as I can.

I have wished for something, received it, and then been unhappy with it. However, it wasn't out of fear or anything like that, it was more that I was wrong in my expectations.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Sort of. I learned a long time ago not to wish for much. Things have always come to me, good things, but they're mostly meaningless to me. So, I guess I've gotten my wish. :D

I see wanting and wishing for something similar to being a kid in a candy store when all you've done for quite a while is wishing for loads of candy. At first it is seemingly unbelievable satisfaction and excitement but it wears off pretty fast because what's supposed to happen now? Before all that you had focus, drive to work towards something but now there appears to be nothing, you're satiated and all that you wanted seems like a burden.

Have you ever worked for something and then not wanted it? It this part of having expectations that are too high. Not you personally, but in general?

P

Phantonym

Have you ever worked for something and then not wanted it? It this part of having expectations that are too high. Not you personally, but in general?

Sure. And I agree, it is about too high expectations. It's like you're setting up a certain milestone for yourself to reach and you are building up your expectations, dreaming of how it should be like, feel like, to the very last detail and when you reach that point...it's nothing like you imagined. It can be better, it can be worse, it can be completely meaningless.

Can't the realization that it's not what you wanted be an indication that, along the process, you've fooled yourself into believing that it is something you want and ignoring the signs that it's really not? Just a random thought that just popped into my mind. :thinking:

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
eh.
there are all types of achievements. goals are needed to survive. they bring momentum and movement. sometimes, achieving a goal brings a sense of loss and disorientation - questions of "what next?" permeate. sometimes, the nature of what you wished to acquire is revealed in an unpleasant light. oscar wilde said, "there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." there is creative tension in toil. just be in constant movement, that's all. learn from everything, learn from your desires. "wanting" and the expectations that goes along with certain accomplishments is tied into all sorts of happiness studies, spirituality, etc. we are irrational creatures. nothing makes sense.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
This adage is relevant to situations where one is naive to all that his or her desire truly encompasses, due to tunnel vision.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Can't the realization that it's not what you wanted be an indication that, along the process, you've fooled yourself into believing that it is something you want and ignoring the signs that it's really not? Just a random thought that just popped into my mind. :thinking:

Yes, I think that can be. Or it can be fear, it can be realizing that the hard work involved may seem overwhelming. Or you can be fooling yourself. I think some people fool themselves often. I think everyone fools themselves at some point. Recognizing when one is being truthful to oneself is a strong goal.

just be in constant movement, that's all. learn from everything, learn from your desires. "wanting" and the expectations that goes along with certain accomplishments is tied into all sorts of happiness studies, spirituality, etc. we are irrational creatures. nothing makes sense.

Yes, constant evolution is necessary in my opinion. I agree with learning from everything you can and applying it to everything in your future life.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
like the curse "may you get what you want"? :huh:

I've done that at restaurants a lot of times :cry:

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
I often receive what I want, but not what I need. And it's one of the things that annoys me very much in myself. I don't know how to call it, disability to hold myself back from my deepest desires or just a bad value (priorities) system..

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I've experienced both ends of the spectrum:

-Getting what I didn't wish for-
-Receiving and encountering people/things that I did-

In both cases, it was more of a realization that: "Nothing's always as it seems, and some things just are what they appear.." both illusions and glimpses of reality.

It's weird, b/c, things that I vehemently didn't want, came to me, and the things I wanted most, as well..

I partially agree with the law of attraction, and partially don't.

I think we tend to attract things that we're consciously thinking of, within our own limits (ex- monetary reasons and environment). If I keep thinking about things that I do want, it doesn't mean that it will come to me, and most things tend to come true come with a price to pay. Pleasure-pain principle.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1

That depends.

Lark

I've experienced this in reverse, if that makes sense, I had a girl who convinced me they really wanted to start something with me or at least have a wild trip together, as it turned out she had the "wanting something, not wanting when you have it" going on. It was a learning experience.

I got spun a "sorry for leading you on" line and felt like a bit of a sap or like I'd been played, although I couldnt hold a grudge because I sort of felt the way it had played out they had probably experienced the same sort of thing first hand themselves.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seriously, seconds before opening the philosophy forum I was listening to these words on the radio "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all." And thought to myself, yeah right, what's that got to do with wishing for it. That ain't worth pondering about.

And I spot this thread, instantly after that.

Freaky.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

Nothing comes without some kind of cost or price.. You have to be prepared for this eventuality .. if you are not .. you might wish you didn't wish for whatever you wished for. :huh:

Lark

When I was younger, just to give an non-relationship hearts desire example, I used to imagine what I'd do if I had the purchasing power I've got now, I thought I'd get all the sweets and dvds, games, books I could.

What I've found is that the desire for sweets once its satiated just goes away, they arent anything to get excited about, the other things I've got too many off and have to make hard choices about storage, then I try to read all the books, watch and rewatch the DVDs, it can become a bit of a chore.

Sometimes I think its the striving, not the getting or the having that is important, its part of the reason that I think consumerism isnt going to ultimately satisfy humankind. I hope they dont resort of war or tribalism instead though.