User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post

Can't the realization that it's not what you wanted be an indication that, along the process, you've fooled yourself into believing that it is something you want and ignoring the signs that it's really not? Just a random thought that just popped into my mind.
    Yes, I think that can be. Or it can be fear, it can be realizing that the hard work involved may seem overwhelming. Or you can be fooling yourself. I think some people fool themselves often. I think everyone fools themselves at some point. Recognizing when one is being truthful to oneself is a strong goal.

Quote Originally Posted by velocity View Post
    just be in constant movement, that's all. learn from everything, learn from your desires. "wanting" and the expectations that goes along with certain accomplishments is tied into all sorts of happiness studies, spirituality, etc. we are irrational creatures. nothing makes sense.
    Yes, constant evolution is necessary in my opinion. I agree with learning from everything you can and applying it to everything in your future life.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

like the curse "may you get what you want"?

I've done that at restaurants a lot of times
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    epic

you never know until you get what you want.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

I often receive what I want, but not what I need. And it's one of the things that annoys me very much in myself. I don't know how to call it, disability to hold myself back from my deepest desires or just a bad value (priorities) system..
    Oh yeah?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I've experienced both ends of the spectrum:

-Getting what I didn't wish for-
    -Receiving and encountering people/things that I did-

In both cases, it was more of a realization that: "Nothing's always as it seems, and some things just are what they appear.." both illusions and glimpses of reality.

It's weird, b/c, things that I vehemently didn't want, came to me, and the things I wanted most, as well..

I partially agree with the law of attraction, and partially don't.

I think we tend to attract things that we're consciously thinking of, within our own limits (ex- monetary reasons and environment). If I keep thinking about things that I do want, it doesn't mean that it will come to me, and most things tend to come true come with a price to pay. Pleasure-pain principle.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    There is a big difference between wishing for something and having the magic of the universe grant it to you without any work on your part, and recognizing a wish as an internally synthesized desire that compels you to do the work necessary in making it happen.
    That depends.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

I've experienced this in reverse, if that makes sense, I had a girl who convinced me they really wanted to start something with me or at least have a wild trip together, as it turned out she had the "wanting something, not wanting when you have it" going on. It was a learning experience.

I got spun a "sorry for leading you on" line and felt like a bit of a sap or like I'd been played, although I couldnt hold a grudge because I sort of felt the way it had played out they had probably experienced the same sort of thing first hand themselves.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Seriously, seconds before opening the philosophy forum I was listening to these words on the radio "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all." And thought to myself, yeah right, what's that got to do with wishing for it. That ain't worth pondering about.

And I spot this thread, instantly after that.

Freaky.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    Because, you may receive it.

I have been thinking about those words for a bit and wondered if anyone here had experienced this.

Have you ever wished for something, received it, and then no longer wanted it? Why did you change your mind?

There are many reasons that I can think of, but I would like to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences on this.
    Nothing comes without some kind of cost or price.. You have to be prepared for this eventuality .. if you are not .. you might wish you didn't wish for whatever you wished for.

When I was younger, just to give an non-relationship hearts desire example, I used to imagine what I'd do if I had the purchasing power I've got now, I thought I'd get all the sweets and dvds, games, books I could.

What I've found is that the desire for sweets once its satiated just goes away, they arent anything to get excited about, the other things I've got too many off and have to make hard choices about storage, then I try to read all the books, watch and rewatch the DVDs, it can become a bit of a chore.

Sometimes I think its the striving, not the getting or the having that is important, its part of the reason that I think consumerism isnt going to ultimately satisfy humankind. I hope they dont resort of war or tribalism instead though.