• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Uppity religious facebook statuses

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Serious business I know. I've got a fair share of "friends" on facebook that I knew growing up in church (friends of my parents, siblings etc.) who post a frequent and endless amount of these fluffy and giddy statuses pertaining to God, the bible, their faith etc.

Is it bad that seeing this ALL THE TIME is tempting me to remove certain people from my friend's list? It's not like I keep in touch with most of the people that do this (well aside from my immediate family...). I wouldn't want to be rude though as a lot of them are dear friends of my family and what not.

It's not that big of a deal but it really does annoy the snot out of me.

Beorn

Permabanned
You can just block their status updates. I do that with people I find annoying, but don't want to unfriend. I'm very religious and sometimes even I myself want to block the status updates of some people who post religious fluff incessantly.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Serious business I know. I've got a fair share of "friends" on facebook that I knew growing up in church (friends of my parents, siblings etc.) who post a frequent and endless amount of these fluffy and giddy statuses pertaining to God, the bible, their faith etc.

Is it bad that seeing this ALL THE TIME is tempting me to remove certain people from my friend's list? It's not like I keep in touch with most of the people that do this (well aside from my immediate family...). I wouldn't want to be rude though as a lot of them are dear friends of my family and what not.

It's not that big of a deal but it really does annoy the snot out of me.

Nope, they'd be gone like yesterday. I don't use Facebook but if I did, I'd look at it this way. Its my page, my stuff the way I want it or don't want it. They'd get the big delete/block and if they asked why I'd tell them. I'm sure you don't want to be so rude, so that so I'd say you're just doing some housecleaning. Then again I have blocked my own father for sending retarded email forwards after being warned so, I'm not the best person to give internet etiquette advice.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can just block their status updates. I do that with people I find annoying, but don't want to unfriend. I'm very religious and sometimes even I myself want to block the status updates of some people who post religious fluff incessantly.

yes, that. FB seems to change its format every few months, so sometimes you have to redo blocking, but in general that is what I would do.

... and yes, I have a long religious background and my own faith... but those things annoy me too and I've been trying to dodge them. I already get enough religious forwards via e-mail I have to throw out, I don't need it on FB too, even if I understand those things are important to them.

I hate the Farmville updates more.

Did you get the magic unicorn???

... i guess you can always switch to Fishville if Farmville is too much for you. ;)

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Did you get the magic unicorn???

... i guess you can always switch to Fishville if Farmville is too much for you. ;)
:D

MafiaWars, too. It just seems like so much transparent spam / unsolicited email forwards, like ceecee said.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MafiaWars, too. It just seems like so much transparent spam / unsolicited email forwards, like ceecee said.

definitely.

I play a few of those games but only rarely post any events to my walls because I don't want to bombard people or clutter my own Wall.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You should ask to get on their email forwards list. There are tons of "christian" emails that go around like that. I love when they aren't too bad and at the end it says "if you don't send this to 5 people you will have bad luck, if you don't send it to..." I always wonder if people actually read what they send out.

I also love the "you don't love God if you don't..."

Yeah, ok. Someone should start one about kids. "If you don't forward this one you don't love your kids" Would they feel comfortable forwarding THAT?

Can you tell I have some pent up feelings about this?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Haven't done any looking around, so I wasn't aware you could block certain individual's status updates. That sounds awesome and I will do that.

Beorn

Permabanned
next time you see any status update you don't like just hover your mouse pointer over it and a hide box will appear in the top right corner. Click. Done.

Edit: BTW they won't know you did this.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also love the "you don't love God if you don't..."

Those ones really really REALLLY upset me. They're not just insulting, they seem to run against the very faith that the letter is trying to promote.

Yeah, ok. Someone should start one about kids. "If you don't forward this one you don't love your kids" Would they feel comfortable forwarding THAT?

Go for it!

Can you tell I have some pent up feelings about this?

you and me both, sis... you and me both.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
:17425: The "I just took a dump! Jesus has blessed me so much!!!" stuff is bad enough. Then there are all the "Fans of Palin" and "Obama is the anti-Christ" updates.

If that wasn't bad enough, then you get all the scare-mail stuff about the ACLU and United Nations and evil, anti-religious public schools, etc. that really would have only taken about 30 seconds on Snopes.com to check out before posting. :17425:

If some of them were not much-loved family I'd throw 'em out the window. I hate to block their status for fear of something more important than taking a dump happens. :doh: The rest of them are getting blocked next time they post stupid stuff, though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Responses to family/loved ones sending me that garbage:

1. Disbelief.
2. Annoyance -> interaction.
(cycle through 1&2 for numerous iterations, until Annoyance is too large)

3. Shock.
4. Resignation + Forgiveness (hopefully).
5. Acceptance + Boundaries.

I'm amazed at how resilient the resistance to any criticism is.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm always getting those stupid chain texts about God and Jesus and such... thankfully I have unlimited texts on my plan, but when I didn't I would get really shitty over such things :thelook:

The idiotic updates on facebook are a lot easier to ignore than texts!!! (I have plenty of family members who also apparently think that God is blessing them with mundane things that would happen anyways... it irks me but I've learned to choose when to fight and when to click ignore :doh:)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm exagerating for effect, but not much.

I have learned to save my breath because even so much as a snopes.com link seems to only be further proof of my backslidden state without any consideration for whether or not I have a valid point.

They can't help it, I guess. And who knows what they might do if they actually started to doubt a little bit? Backslidden Pentecostals are notoriously dissipated and I'd hate to see that happen to the people I love so I try to let it go most of the time.

Beorn

Permabanned
These posts sadden me.

I was not aware that these kinds of chain emails were that common. I grew up in the church, and attended christian institutions of learning from high school through grad school. Almost all of my friends are Christians. I have received maybe one or two of these types of emails in the past 10 years.

The Church used to the center of intelligence and learning. Now it seems to be full of anti-intellectualism and ignorance.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was not aware that these kinds of chain emails were that common. I grew up in the church, and attended christian institutions of learning from high school through grad school. Almost all of my friends are Christians. I have received maybe one or two of these types of emails in the past 10 years.

Actually, this sort of post thrills me.

It gives me hope that maybe newer church generations approach things differently than the culture I've been stuck in.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
facebook is just too pimped out for me to bother with anymore. Used to be when I'd get a notification it was because someone really wrote on my wall. Now it's just to advertise lots of crapola. I had one evangelical friend of a friend befriend me in the beginning, but after seeing weeks of religious statuses, I got tired of it and deleted her. I deleted my bro-in-law once for all that mafia wars stuff. (but I added him back :) ) I keep my friends list low on purpose (73?) and most of those aren't very religious, so no probs about religious status updates anymore.

KDude

I don't mind anyone who posts religious stuff. I did delete someone once for saying they hated Thai food though (well, this was like two days after them posting in a status how much they liked Jack in the Box). I figured I didn't need friends like that.

But it's sort of the same thing, right?

Right? :laugh: