User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 112

  1. #1
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default Uppity religious facebook statuses

    Serious business I know. I've got a fair share of "friends" on facebook that I knew growing up in church (friends of my parents, siblings etc.) who post a frequent and endless amount of these fluffy and giddy statuses pertaining to God, the bible, their faith etc.

    Is it bad that seeing this ALL THE TIME is tempting me to remove certain people from my friend's list? It's not like I keep in touch with most of the people that do this (well aside from my immediate family...). I wouldn't want to be rude though as a lot of them are dear friends of my family and what not.

    It's not that big of a deal but it really does annoy the snot out of me.

  2. #2
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    You can just block their status updates. I do that with people I find annoying, but don't want to unfriend. I'm very religious and sometimes even I myself want to block the status updates of some people who post religious fluff incessantly.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  3. #3
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Serious business I know. I've got a fair share of "friends" on facebook that I knew growing up in church (friends of my parents, siblings etc.) who post a frequent and endless amount of these fluffy and giddy statuses pertaining to God, the bible, their faith etc.

    Is it bad that seeing this ALL THE TIME is tempting me to remove certain people from my friend's list? It's not like I keep in touch with most of the people that do this (well aside from my immediate family...). I wouldn't want to be rude though as a lot of them are dear friends of my family and what not.

    It's not that big of a deal but it really does annoy the snot out of me.
    Nope, they'd be gone like yesterday. I don't use Facebook but if I did, I'd look at it this way. Its my page, my stuff the way I want it or don't want it. They'd get the big delete/block and if they asked why I'd tell them. I'm sure you don't want to be so rude, so that so I'd say you're just doing some housecleaning. Then again I have blocked my own father for sending retarded email forwards after being warned so, I'm not the best person to give internet etiquette advice.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  4. #4
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    I hate the Farmville updates more.

  5. #5
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    You can just block their status updates. I do that with people I find annoying, but don't want to unfriend. I'm very religious and sometimes even I myself want to block the status updates of some people who post religious fluff incessantly.
    yes, that. FB seems to change its format every few months, so sometimes you have to redo blocking, but in general that is what I would do.

    ... and yes, I have a long religious background and my own faith... but those things annoy me too and I've been trying to dodge them. I already get enough religious forwards via e-mail I have to throw out, I don't need it on FB too, even if I understand those things are important to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I hate the Farmville updates more.
    Did you get the magic unicorn???

    ... i guess you can always switch to Fishville if Farmville is too much for you.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #6
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Did you get the magic unicorn???

    ... i guess you can always switch to Fishville if Farmville is too much for you.


    MafiaWars, too. It just seems like so much transparent spam / unsolicited email forwards, like ceecee said.

  7. #7
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    MafiaWars, too. It just seems like so much transparent spam / unsolicited email forwards, like ceecee said.
    definitely.

    I play a few of those games but only rarely post any events to my walls because I don't want to bombard people or clutter my own Wall.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #8
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    You should ask to get on their email forwards list. There are tons of "christian" emails that go around like that. I love when they aren't too bad and at the end it says "if you don't send this to 5 people you will have bad luck, if you don't send it to..." I always wonder if people actually read what they send out.

    I also love the "you don't love God if you don't..."

    Yeah, ok. Someone should start one about kids. "If you don't forward this one you don't love your kids" Would they feel comfortable forwarding THAT?

    Can you tell I have some pent up feelings about this?

  9. #9
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Haven't done any looking around, so I wasn't aware you could block certain individual's status updates. That sounds awesome and I will do that.

  10. #10
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I hate the Farmville updates more.
    Lol, I blocked that app. from having anything to do with me, a long time ago.

Similar Threads

  1. Religious Testimonies & Authenticity
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 12:37 PM
  2. [NT] Colorado School of Mines facebook group.
    By Aven in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 12:29 PM
  3. religious nutbars
    By darlets in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 06:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO