• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Uppity religious facebook statuses

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
OH MY GOD I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN!!!!!

Sorry, but this really makes me furious. Ok so I grew up in a Christian church. Modern Christian with youth conferences and whatnot. Anyways, I'm probably friends with like 50 Christians on facebook. And their statuses make me so angry. I want to quote some here because sometimes they're really really funny to laugh at. But on the real, multiple times a day I want to delete them all from my friends list..... but then I'd be bored.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I just got an "I'm not ashamed" group invite.

Well I'm not ashamed to NOT be Christian... I'm assuming this isn't the proper group for that though. So annoying.

Beorn

Permabanned
I'm curious to see some examples of what people consider to be uppity religious statuses.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Religious status updates annoy me just as well as Farmville and Mafiawars, but I have had some interesting conversations about religion as a result of a few of them. What I'm really getting tired of is the paranoid 2012 talk every time CNN reports another natural disaster.

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
All right I'll post some recent ones I saw.

"The difference between effort and devotion is a revelation of grace in the work."

"I was taught grace was either "initial" (at Salvation) or "greasy". Now Im learning it is daily. Grace=more than I ever thought it was."

" ...that you may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God."

"... and there will be famines, pestilences, and EARTHQUAKES in various places.... (Matt. 24:7).... another earthquake devistated Turkey yesterday and their still dealing with intence aftershocks today... i dare you to look in the miror and askyouself... are you ready for the return of Jesus or are you still playing with sin... give it up give your life to Jesus before you're out of time"

"OH MY GOODNESS!!!! O WOW O WOW O WOW!!!! GOD IS SO TOTALLY INDESCRIBABLY AWESOME here comes the most amazing wave of revival I have ever seen in my entire life! It's breakthrough. I am overwhelmed by the awesome power of God! I am so awestruck I am shaking PRAISE GOD!"

" "Only God can move mountains, but faith and prayer move God." --E.M. Bounds"

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I don't like to be bombarded with anything that sounds like preaching whether it be from a religious stand point or one of personal values. One of my closest friends goes to church every weekend and I have total respect for her faith, but she would never "preach" to anyone.

I'd delete them. I delete people all the time. But then again for the most part, I only care about the opinions (of me) of people I care about. If they think I am a rude heathan, I'm OK with that, but I realize everyone's situation is different. As a side note, if they have 100000000 friends, they probably won't even notice you are gone.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thankfully I don't know anyone who are at that level of religious obnoxiousness. :)
But yeah that would definitely annoy me--much like Farmville already is, lol.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
it has the same effect to me when someone posts something like, "religion is a conspiracy created to keep society in check and cover up our inexplicable existence." or "The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth" (these are real examples from my facebook feed.)

it makes me wonder what the person is hoping to accomplish - to start a heated debate, to change others' minds, or just to make themselves appear a certain way?

i don't care if a person is an atheist, a religious fundamentalist, a neopagan, a generically 'spiritual' person, a cult leader, or an indifferent agnostic. i see these kind of choices as personal. sure wouldn't be my business to impose my subjective views on them. but that's why i wonder if and why they may be doing so to me. and in such an impersonal format. IMO this kind of stuff belongs to in person conversations, not blase internet chats.

also, "christians" posting about only positive stuff? lol

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't understand why either would annoy. I mean, it's not like Facebook makes you do something. It just sits there.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I get annoyed with it too. I certainly am not ashamed of my faith, but at the same time, most people wouldn't relate like that to each other in real life and certainly wouldn't speak like that about any other topic, so it seems kind of pious and fake to me. I know very well-intentioned people who do it though, but they are the same people who also send me forwards of cute kitties and puppies or internet stories they found inspiring. I suppose I don't want to be lumped into the same category, even though I feel that my faith is a part of my daily life.

I also despise Farmville and Farmtown.

However, my (Christian) cousin had this for a status update the other day. (He's 39, married to a paraplegic, and is a hairdresser with three kids, getting a little bit of old guy paunch)
"Vance -------- has decided to become an exotic dancer. For bookings, call 1 800 MAN CANDY. Please don't be judgemental. I'm just beginning."

It made my day!

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
However, my (Christian) cousin had this for a status update the other day. (He's 39, married to a paraplegic, and is a hairdresser with three kids, getting a little bit of old guy paunch)
"Vance -------- has decided to become an exotic dancer. For bookings, call 1 800 MAN CANDY. Please don't be judgemental. I'm just beginning."

It made my day!

:rofl1:
I would totally do something like that with my facebook, but my mother and her family would have a cow. Plus, I don't know how anyone would handle the news of me becoming an exotic dancer...

Last edited:

LEGERdeMAIN

Faith is a girl you take home only to discover extra parts where extra parts ought not be but you try it out and then you and Faith(Tom) fall in love and you take him/her to meet mom and then mom hates Faith(Tom) and he/she finally jumps off of a bridge and then the gods are all like, "you're right, you should've been born a girl"

uberrogo

MBTI Type
istj
You should ask to get on their email forwards list. There are tons of "christian" emails that go around like that. I love when they aren't too bad and at the end it says "if you don't send this to 5 people you will have bad luck, if you don't send it to..." I always wonder if people actually read what they send out.

I also love the "you don't love God if you don't..."

Yeah, ok. Someone should start one about kids. "If you don't forward this one you don't love your kids" Would they feel comfortable forwarding THAT?

Can you tell I have some pent up feelings about this?

I have been thinking of writing a horrible yet unrelated to God email and then at the end write 'if you dont send this then you hate God'.

Warm

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Serious business I know. I've got a fair share of "friends" on facebook that I knew growing up in church (friends of my parents, siblings etc.) who post a frequent and endless amount of these fluffy and giddy statuses pertaining to God, the bible, their faith etc.

Is it bad that seeing this ALL THE TIME is tempting me to remove certain people from my friend's list? It's not like I keep in touch with most of the people that do this (well aside from my immediate family...). I wouldn't want to be rude though as a lot of them are dear friends of my family and what not.

It's not that big of a deal but it really does annoy the snot out of me.
Why does this annoy you?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
i currently have two fundie conservatives blocked and the others i kicked to the curb.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't understand why either would annoy. I mean, it's not like Facebook makes you do something. It just sits there.

Why does this annoy you?

Mostly because the only feeling I have towards the God (real or imaginary is besides the point) that they're obsessed about, I have nothing but bitterness towards. I can't understand these people and why they're so fluffy with it. Do they take one step outside their safe world and look around? Probably not.

You're right Jeff, "it just sits there". It's a minor annoyance, that's all. I'm not gonna slit my wrists over it... Not tonight.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're right Jeff, "it just sits there". It's a minor annoyance, that's all. I'm not gonna slit my wrists over it... Not tonight.

Well that's good to know!

Why do you have bitterness towards God?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Well that's good to know!

Why do you have bitterness towards God?
:D

If God is real, I'm bitter towards him because he couldn't be more distant, aloof and seemingly indifferent, if not sadistic and cruel.

If God is fake, I hate the great deception that has fucked our world inside and out.