• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Uppity religious facebook statuses

G

garbage

To situations like the OP, I tend to just hide or ignore those sorts of people, unless it turns into something like..

For a while one or two people in my friends list were posting updates about their views on homosexuality, which I didnt share, I just didnt pay any attention but they started to contact me with why I hadnt copy pasted the posts or whatever and I simply said I didnt agree, one of them at least went off on one and started swearing at me so they got cut and blocked. Simple as. Like Cee Cee says the internet gives you that option why not use it?

:shock: Holy crap, nobody should have to put up with this!

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Counter with some fluffy and giddy atheistic phrases.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Everyone change their custom user title to the color of their bra! QUICK!!!! This is so funny heheeee

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Beat, I don't understand how it harms you in any way. But, yeah, if someone's updates continually annoy you, then probably best to block them in some way.

What is an example of an "uppity religious status?"

heart

heart on fire
I do sometimes respond with snopes.com links (privately) to my dad's chain emails. I try to only respond to factual inaccuracies, and let the rest slide.

I had a relative who got enraged when I did this, they sent me a jeering email that said "Well at least my Dad is still alive" (I had lost my father the previous year) and quit speaking to me. This internet chain letter stuff is apparently SERIOUS business.

I never understand why family or close friends send political or religious stuff via chain letter when they know you don't share their beliefs. I don't understand forcing your beliefs in a situation like this.

I don't see the need for Facebook. I used to do Myspace but I drifted away.

Lark

To situations like the OP, I tend to just hide or ignore those sorts of people, unless it turns into something like..

:shock: Holy crap, nobody should have to put up with this!

Interesting thing about this that that's what most people say until they discover I was refusing to support homosexual weddings.

G

garbage

Interesting thing about this that that's what most people say until they discover I was refusing to support homosexual weddings.

From your phrasing, I had a feeling that that was your viewpoint. It doesn't matter. You shouldn't have to put up with that crap regardless of what the specific views under question were, and it's intellectually dishonest for anyone to believe that it's okay to harass you into supporting a cause only when the cause is agreeable to them.

Yeah, I'd defriend people like that instantly. More than that, even. I'd probably be tempted to kick them in the balls next time I saw them in person, too.

Lark

From your phrasing, I had a feeling that that was your viewpoint. It doesn't matter. You shouldn't have to put up with that crap regardless of what the specific views under question were, and it's intellectually dishonest for anyone to believe that it's okay to harass you into supporting a cause only when the cause is agreeable to them.

Yeah, I'd defriend people like that instantly. More than that, even. I'd probably be tempted to kick them in the balls next time I saw them in person, too.

I was a little surprised and initially thought they were playing a bit of a game, it was more about demonstrating their verve and how adament they were, which I've experienced and seen before on a lot of different "campaign trails" and used to behave like myself when I was about 19 or 20.

I was willing to pardon that even but there was associated skirmisching on other forums and a real effort not to permit indifference, let alone disagreement. That sort of thing really bugs me so I felt, well, you dont like my opinion so much you'll not be troubled by it and delisted and blocked them. If I'd have been that vexed by their opinions I'd had blocked them but then people are complicated and maybe it was weird retarded effort to build the relationship on their part.

I got a thing about swearing, swearing and verbal aggression arent called for, generally they enter into things when all hope of argument or discussion has been given up on and someone is attempting to assert dominance over the exchange. Now maybe it could be that they run out of options or never learned any for dealing with the emotions that the exchange gives rise to but simply because its understandable doesnt make it any the more acceptable.

This is in the main my blocking criteria for forums too, plus anyone who's a fan of Ayn Rand.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
All of you who don't use Facebook: YOU SHOULD. It helps the CIA build a database of personal information which is very useful to our government, which was founded on Christian principles. HOW CAN YOU BE SO UNPATRIOTIC AND UNCHRISTIAN????

If you love your country and Jesus, be sure to forward this to everyone you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

haag261390

it's not any different either if one of your family members forward you an e-mail about god and send it to however many people within the hour or two. Would it be easier to ignore it?

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I obviously move in different circles. Most of the status updates I see are variations on:

1) alcohol and drinking thereof
2) babies and lack of sleep thereof

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Serious business I know...
...It's not that big of a deal but it really does annoy the snot out of me.

Reverse the polarity of this situation and make it easy on yourself. Update your Facebook status to:

"I Eat the Flesh of the Living, and I Vote!" :devil:

The people who currently have annoying overly religious messages as their status will either (a) "unfriend" you on Facebook, so their other zealot friends won't accidentally link to you and see your crazy status, yet be nice as pie to you in real life, (b) realize what a douche they are making themselves out to be by wearing their zealot status on their Facebook sleeve, or (c) run for cover because they think you are the antichrist. :laugh:

Either way, you will know who your true friends are, as they will know that no matter what is on your Facebook page, that you are the same good man you have always been, and won't alter their association with you due to a single line of text on the world's most useless (yet amusing!) website. :newwink:

Cheers Bro,

-Halla

corey_vann

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8sx
Serious business I know. I've got a fair share of "friends" on facebook that I knew growing up in church (friends of my parents, siblings etc.) who post a frequent and endless amount of these fluffy and giddy statuses pertaining to God, the bible, their faith etc.

Is it bad that seeing this ALL THE TIME is tempting me to remove certain people from my friend's list? It's not like I keep in touch with most of the people that do this (well aside from my immediate family...). I wouldn't want to be rude though as a lot of them are dear friends of my family and what not.

It's not that big of a deal but it really does annoy the snot out of me.

I block their status updates. I'm a Christian, but I hate that crap. I've been tempted occasionally to post something that I've felt was important to me, but luckily I don't have internet access most of the time and I get over it by the time I do.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have people from my church on face book, but they don't post overly religious statuses, either that and I don't notice them.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
"P became a fan of Nada es imposible si lo quieres de verdad... on Facebook and suggested you become a fan too."

"P became a fan of -Hola? Si quien habla? Ahh....no te conocí la vozz!!! todo bien?? :pPPPPPP on Facebook and suggested you become a fan too."

"P became a fan of Nada que ver! ¬¬ on Facebook and suggested you become a fan too."

"P invited you to join the Facebook group "como invitar a TODOS tus amigos a grupos/eventos/aplicaciones DE UNA! (2)"."

I got these emails today within seconds of each other. I don't know this language. Keep in mind that I know this person from a virtual world only, and never even met them there. They added me because they recognize my name.

KDude

^I would definitely turn off email notification btw. FB, by default, sends email about too many damn things.

That said, not sure what to suggest about your "virtual world" acquaintance. I believe you can perma-ban/ignore people.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think it's just the amazement that someone would actually send out invites to groups like that. I should "turn her off" but I forget and am too lazy to log in just to do it.