• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Uppity religious facebook statuses

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
:D

If God is real, I'm bitter towards him because he couldn't be more distant, aloof and seemingly indifferent, if not sadistic and cruel.

Why do you believe he is distant, yet this very thread is about people who seem to be close to him? Could it be that you are the distant one?

These questions are genuine by the way, I'm not attacking or mocking you in any way here.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Why do you believe he is distant, yet this very thread is about people who seem to be close to him? Could it be that you are the distant one?

The onus is on God to be less distant since he is the omnipotent one.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

These questions are genuine by the way, I'm not attacking or mocking you in any way here.

The thread is about people who believe they're close to him. That doesn't mean they actually are or that he's actually there.

Beat is probably suggesting that an omnipotent, omniscient and eternally loving God would not allow pointless and egregious suffering, like stillborn babies, death of innocent children, etc.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Beat is probably suggesting that an omnipotent, omniscient and eternally loving God would not allow pointless and egregious suffering, like stillborn babies, death of innocent children, etc.

I'd rather hear what Beat actually believes rather than what you think he is probably suggesting.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6

I question what even constitutes "close". It varies for everybody it seems. God is personalized by man. We are the creators of God. Are terrorists closer to God once they've killed in his name? Is the docile and humble monk closer to God when he prays in solitude? Apparently it's too much work for God to clearly lay out the proper path to redemption. It must just not be that important, because we're going to continue to kill each other off over this headache.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd rather hear what Beat actually believes rather than what you think he is probably suggesting.

You're a lot more polite when people aren't suggesting flaws in your religious reasoning.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I question what even constitutes "close". It varies for everybody it seems. God is personalized by man. We are the creators of God. Are terrorists closer to God once they've killed in his name? Is the docile and humble monk closer to God when he prays in solitude? Apparently it's too much work for God to clearly lay out the proper path to redemption. It must just not be that important, because we're going to continue to kill each other off over this headache.

Thanks, I appreciate you elaborating. I'm gonna re-read this when I'm less sleepy and think about it some more.

You're a lot more polite when people aren't suggesting flaws in your religious reasoning.

I haven't given any religious reasoning. All I did was ask questions.

Fair enough; he's just usually not so dismissive.

Strange, to me, it seemed you were the dismissive one. ;)

So often it seems any discussion related to God or faith or religion turns into grandstanding so fast. I find it very refreshing when I can have a conversation where no one involved has any particular agenda besides honestly sharing how we feel and questioning each other as we question ourselves.

I'm a lot more open-minded than you give me credit for. But having an open mind doesn't mean that I won't challenge ideas that I'm presented with. It's the only way to grow and learn anything.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I haven't given any religious reasoning. All I did was ask questions.

But I'm somewhat familiar with your religious beliefs from past experience, and I know that Beat's (and my) statements directly conflict with them.

Strange, to me, it seemed you were the dismissive one. ;)

I dunno, you seem to have assumed that people who make religious facebook status updates are close to God. I was suggesting the possibility that they are mistaken in this regard.

So often it seems any discussion related to God or faith or religion turns into grandstanding so fast. I find it very refreshing when I can have a conversation where no one involved has any particular agenda besides honestly sharing how we feel and questioning each other as we question ourselves.

That's true. I would find that refreshing too. I don't think I said anything insulting in this thread and I did not intend to grandstand.

You suggested that Beat is responsible for his own distance from God, based on the assumption that people who claim closeness to God must necessarily be close to God. This seems to discount the possibility that genuine closeness to God might be indistinguishable from perceived closeness to God, and that at least some of these people might be mistaken.

In other words, Beat's lack of closeness to God might not be his own fault.

I'm a lot more open-minded than you give me credit for. But having an open mind doesn't mean that I won't challenge ideas that I'm presented with. It's the only way to grow and learn anything.

I don't think you're closed-minded...not usually.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
But I'm somewhat familiar with your religious beliefs from past experience, and I know that Beat's (and my) statements directly conflict with them.

Not really. Many Christians have similar thoughts about God during their lives. No one has 100% faith all the time. Even Mother Theresa doubted.

I dunno, you seem to have assumed that people who make religious facebook status updates are close to God. I was suggesting the possibility that they are mistaken in this regard.

Nope. You're the one doing the assuming. My exact words were "people who seem to be close to him." In other words, if they are constantly expressing their faith in their facebook status, then they are obviously very focused on him. Their "closeness" is based on their own faith and belief, so you can't really say that they are "mistaken" in any sense, because it's entirely based on their perception.

You suggested that Beat is responsible for his own distance from God, based on the assumption that people who claim closeness to God must necessarily be close to God. This seems to discount the possibility that genuine closeness to God might be indistinguishable from perceived closeness to God, and that at least some of these people might be mistaken.

Nope. Once again, I didn't assume that, nor did I suggest that. I asked if it was a possibility mainly to learn if Beat had considered that. The views he expressed saw a world where evil takes place and a higher power does not step in to fix it. I asked if there was a possibility that Beat himself is not open to see the higher power acting in the world and is in fact the distant one. It wasn't an accusation, it was a question.

In other words, Beat's lack of closeness to God might not be his own fault.

I'm not interested in finding fault. This seems almost like one of those glass full/glass empty things. You seem to go directly towards the negative/conflict side of things - seeing accusations, looking for fault. I'm interested in discovering positives. Solutions to the bitterness and emptiness that Beat has expressed. It gives me no pleasure to find fault with anyone for a lack of closeness to God. I'm not trying to score one for the God Team or something.

I don't think you're closed-minded...not usually.

Well, good. Do me a favor, then, and try to pay attention to the actual words I say and not jump to the conclusions based on them. I know that's tough for you N types but it might be beneficial. ;)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm curious to see some examples of what people consider to be uppity religious statuses.

If your religion is all (or the vast majority of) you talk about and all you post on Facebook that, just like any other topic, is likely to become redundant, thus irritating and annoying to people with an ability to think and talk about other topics. The uppity part comes in when those people interpert another persons desire to discuss other topics as some kind of shunning of God. They must just require a little push in the right direction. Their direction, since they clearly have it all figured out.

Yeah, you are.

Well, good. Do me a favor, then, and try to pay attention to the actual words I say and not jump to the conclusions based on them. I know that's tough for you N types but it might be beneficial. ;)

Just as it's tough for your type to not walk around going IdunnoIdunnoIdunno what's the big deal?? the majority of the time?

Lark

jeffster, would you date an atheist woman?

I'm, in the main, a practicing RC and I coud and have dated athiests, the minute that they want to become "preachy" about it or condescend or disrespect my religion its the beginning of the end because its a good indicator that if they care so little about causing offence they arent good company.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
jeffster, would you date an atheist woman?

Probably.

Yeah, you are.

Did your crystal ball tell you that or something? No, I'm not. I have no reason to lie about that. I like and respect Beat and have no desire to be hostile towards him. You can choose to put a hostile motive on me if you want, but that's your deal, not mine.

Just as it's tough for your type to not walk around going IdunnoIdunnoIdunno what's the big deal?? the majority of the time?

:wacko:

heart

heart on fire
I'm curious to see some examples of what people consider to be uppity religious statuses.

Speaking for myself, I want other people to keep their religious beliefs to themselves. Don't proselytize.

I don't want atheists proselytizing me either. They can be every bit as annoying as the most dyed-in-the-wool, born again, fundamentalist religionist.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate the Farmville updates more.

Speaking for myself, I want other people to keep their religious beliefs to themselves. Don't proselytize.

I don't want atheists proselytizing me either. They can be every bit as annoying as the most dyed-in-the-wool, born again, fundamentalist religionist.

Fundi people even of your own religion are annoying.

And I hate farmville.