User Tag List

First 1234 Last

next time you see any status update you don't like just hover your mouse pointer over it and a hide box will appear in the top right corner. Click. Done.

Edit: BTW they won't know you did this.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I also love the "you don't love God if you don't..."
    Those ones really really REALLLY upset me. They're not just insulting, they seem to run against the very faith that the letter is trying to promote.

Yeah, ok. Someone should start one about kids. "If you don't forward this one you don't love your kids" Would they feel comfortable forwarding THAT?
    Go for it!

Can you tell I have some pent up feelings about this?
    you and me both, sis... you and me both.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

The "I just took a dump! Jesus has blessed me so much!!!" stuff is bad enough. Then there are all the "Fans of Palin" and "Obama is the anti-Christ" updates.

If that wasn't bad enough, then you get all the scare-mail stuff about the ACLU and United Nations and evil, anti-religious public schools, etc. that really would have only taken about 30 seconds on Snopes.com to check out before posting.

If some of them were not much-loved family I'd throw 'em out the window. I hate to block their status for fear of something more important than taking a dump happens. The rest of them are getting blocked next time they post stupid stuff, though.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Responses to family/loved ones sending me that garbage:

1. Disbelief.
    2. Annoyance -> interaction.
    (cycle through 1&2 for numerous iterations, until Annoyance is too large)

3. Shock.
    4. Resignation + Forgiveness (hopefully).
    5. Acceptance + Boundaries.

I'm amazed at how resilient the resistance to any criticism is.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm always getting those stupid chain texts about God and Jesus and such... thankfully I have unlimited texts on my plan, but when I didn't I would get really shitty over such things

The idiotic updates on facebook are a lot easier to ignore than texts!!! (I have plenty of family members who also apparently think that God is blessing them with mundane things that would happen anyways... it irks me but I've learned to choose when to fight and when to click ignore )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm exagerating for effect, but not much.

I have learned to save my breath because even so much as a snopes.com link seems to only be further proof of my backslidden state without any consideration for whether or not I have a valid point.

They can't help it, I guess. And who knows what they might do if they actually started to doubt a little bit? Backslidden Pentecostals are notoriously dissipated and I'd hate to see that happen to the people I love so I try to let it go most of the time.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

These posts sadden me.

I was not aware that these kinds of chain emails were that common. I grew up in the church, and attended christian institutions of learning from high school through grad school. Almost all of my friends are Christians. I have received maybe one or two of these types of emails in the past 10 years.

The Church used to the center of intelligence and learning. Now it seems to be full of anti-intellectualism and ignorance.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I was not aware that these kinds of chain emails were that common. I grew up in the church, and attended christian institutions of learning from high school through grad school. Almost all of my friends are Christians. I have received maybe one or two of these types of emails in the past 10 years.
    Actually, this sort of post thrills me.

It gives me hope that maybe newer church generations approach things differently than the culture I've been stuck in.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

facebook is just too pimped out for me to bother with anymore. Used to be when I'd get a notification it was because someone really wrote on my wall. Now it's just to advertise lots of crapola. I had one evangelical friend of a friend befriend me in the beginning, but after seeing weeks of religious statuses, I got tired of it and deleted her. I deleted my bro-in-law once for all that mafia wars stuff. (but I added him back ) I keep my friends list low on purpose (73?) and most of those aren't very religious, so no probs about religious status updates anymore.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

I don't mind anyone who posts religious stuff. I did delete someone once for saying they hated Thai food though (well, this was like two days after them posting in a status how much they liked Jack in the Box). I figured I didn't need friends like that.

But it's sort of the same thing, right?

Right?