'night, Mr. Jeff.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I haven't given any religious reasoning. All I did was ask questions.
    But I'm somewhat familiar with your religious beliefs from past experience, and I know that Beat's (and my) statements directly conflict with them.

Strange, to me, it seemed you were the dismissive one.
    I dunno, you seem to have assumed that people who make religious facebook status updates are close to God. I was suggesting the possibility that they are mistaken in this regard.

So often it seems any discussion related to God or faith or religion turns into grandstanding so fast. I find it very refreshing when I can have a conversation where no one involved has any particular agenda besides honestly sharing how we feel and questioning each other as we question ourselves.
    That's true. I would find that refreshing too. I don't think I said anything insulting in this thread and I did not intend to grandstand.

You suggested that Beat is responsible for his own distance from God, based on the assumption that people who claim closeness to God must necessarily be close to God. This seems to discount the possibility that genuine closeness to God might be indistinguishable from perceived closeness to God, and that at least some of these people might be mistaken.

In other words, Beat's lack of closeness to God might not be his own fault.

I'm a lot more open-minded than you give me credit for. But having an open mind doesn't mean that I won't challenge ideas that I'm presented with. It's the only way to grow and learn anything.
    I don't think you're closed-minded...not usually.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    But I'm somewhat familiar with your religious beliefs from past experience, and I know that Beat's (and my) statements directly conflict with them.
    Not really. Many Christians have similar thoughts about God during their lives. No one has 100% faith all the time. Even Mother Theresa doubted.

I dunno, you seem to have assumed that people who make religious facebook status updates are close to God. I was suggesting the possibility that they are mistaken in this regard.
    Nope. You're the one doing the assuming. My exact words were "people who seem to be close to him." In other words, if they are constantly expressing their faith in their facebook status, then they are obviously very focused on him. Their "closeness" is based on their own faith and belief, so you can't really say that they are "mistaken" in any sense, because it's entirely based on their perception.

You suggested that Beat is responsible for his own distance from God, based on the assumption that people who claim closeness to God must necessarily be close to God. This seems to discount the possibility that genuine closeness to God might be indistinguishable from perceived closeness to God, and that at least some of these people might be mistaken.
    Nope. Once again, I didn't assume that, nor did I suggest that. I asked if it was a possibility mainly to learn if Beat had considered that. The views he expressed saw a world where evil takes place and a higher power does not step in to fix it. I asked if there was a possibility that Beat himself is not open to see the higher power acting in the world and is in fact the distant one. It wasn't an accusation, it was a question.

In other words, Beat's lack of closeness to God might not be his own fault.
    I'm not interested in finding fault. This seems almost like one of those glass full/glass empty things. You seem to go directly towards the negative/conflict side of things - seeing accusations, looking for fault. I'm interested in discovering positives. Solutions to the bitterness and emptiness that Beat has expressed. It gives me no pleasure to find fault with anyone for a lack of closeness to God. I'm not trying to score one for the God Team or something.

I don't think you're closed-minded...not usually.
    Well, good. Do me a favor, then, and try to pay attention to the actual words I say and not jump to the conclusions based on them. I know that's tough for you N types but it might be beneficial.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

jeffster, would you date an atheist woman?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ISTx

Of what relevance is that question, rosey?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I'm curious to see some examples of what people consider to be uppity religious statuses.
    If your religion is all (or the vast majority of) you talk about and all you post on Facebook that, just like any other topic, is likely to become redundant, thus irritating and annoying to people with an ability to think and talk about other topics. The uppity part comes in when those people interpert another persons desire to discuss other topics as some kind of shunning of God. They must just require a little push in the right direction. Their direction, since they clearly have it all figured out.

Why do you believe he is distant, yet this very thread is about people who seem to be close to him? Could it be that you are the distant one?

These questions are genuine by the way, I'm not attacking or mocking you in any way here.
    Yeah, you are.

Well, good. Do me a favor, then, and try to pay attention to the actual words I say and not jump to the conclusions based on them. I know that's tough for you N types but it might be beneficial.
    Just as it's tough for your type to not walk around going IdunnoIdunnoIdunno what's the big deal?? the majority of the time?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by almost rosey View Post
    I'm, in the main, a practicing RC and I coud and have dated athiests, the minute that they want to become "preachy" about it or condescend or disrespect my religion its the beginning of the end because its a good indicator that if they care so little about causing offence they arent good company.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by almost rosey View Post
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Yeah, you are.
    Did your crystal ball tell you that or something? No, I'm not. I have no reason to lie about that. I like and respect Beat and have no desire to be hostile towards him. You can choose to put a hostile motive on me if you want, but that's your deal, not mine.

Just as it's tough for your type to not walk around going IdunnoIdunnoIdunno what's the big deal?? the majority of the time?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I'm curious to see some examples of what people consider to be uppity religious statuses.
    Speaking for myself, I want other people to keep their religious beliefs to themselves. Don't proselytize.

I don't want atheists proselytizing me either. They can be every bit as annoying as the most dyed-in-the-wool, born again, fundamentalist religionist.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I hate the Farmville updates more.
    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Speaking for myself, I want other people to keep their religious beliefs to themselves. Don't proselytize.

I don't want atheists proselytizing me either. They can be every bit as annoying as the most dyed-in-the-wool, born again, fundamentalist religionist.
    Fundi people even of your own religion are annoying.

And I hate farmville.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.