• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Blind faith

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
A catholic, a jehova's witness, and a muslim walk into a bar.

The agnostic ducks.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
A priest and rabbi and polar bear walk into a bar. The bartender says "what is this some kind of joke?"

KDude

I once crushed a confetti egg on a jehovah's witnesses head.. she didn't seem to like it much, and started speaking out against festivities. No easter, no christmas... Hell, no birthdays. So......with that in mind, I really doubt they'd go into a bar. :D

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Kai got it, though I think a few others missed the pun; the bar is a literal metal pole they walked into because they were 'blind' and didn't see it.

The implication is moreso that these three faiths given, are suggestive to their members of following dogma blindly without critically thinking about the information they're fed, most often. There are exceptions of course, but of the religions out there, those are some of the worst for insistence upon following their rules to the letter regardless of how silly they sound, and to avoid thinking about it.

Faith can be a powerful tool if properly harnessed, and it can be a great thing to achieve. Blind faith, on the other hand, is a weapon against its' user. Pure belief in anything yeu're told without any comprehension behind it is not something we should really be striving for; that's whot makes flocks of mindless sheep that'll do anything they're told no matter how bad an idea it is, and is the origin of cults, rather than religions.

The thread was going to be more in depth asking about people's views on the concept of blind faith, whether they felt it was the only 'true' kind of faith, or if they preferred to temper their beliefs with knowledge and wisdom. I suppose the original joke, despite being a bad series of puns, was perhaps a bit too complex or misleading in nature though.

Anyways discuss stuffs XD

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
,,,The thread was going to be more in depth asking about people's views on the concept of blind faith, whether they felt it was the only 'true' kind of faith, or if they preferred to temper their beliefs with knowledge and wisdom. I suppose the original joke, despite being a bad series of puns, was perhaps a bit too complex or misleading in nature though.

I have seen a pretty wide spectrum on this.

I've also seen some patterns that seem contradictory -- for example, some of the most tangible-focused/literal people I know also have the most "blind faith" in their beliefs, while of the more abstracted people I know have the most "realistic (i.e., observe and draw conclusions to follow") style of belief.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Kai got it, though I think a few others missed the pun; the bar is a literal metal pole they walked into because they were 'blind' and didn't see it.
Oh no, I got the joke. I just wanted to know what the bar indicated in real life.

The implication is moreso that these three faiths given, are suggestive to their members of following dogma blindly without critically thinking about the information they're fed, most often. There are exceptions of course, but of the religions out there, those are some of the worst for insistence upon following their rules to the letter regardless of how silly they sound, and to avoid thinking about it.

Faith can be a powerful tool if properly harnessed, and it can be a great thing to achieve. Blind faith, on the other hand, is a weapon against its' user. Pure belief in anything yeu're told without any comprehension behind it is not something we should really be striving for; that's whot makes flocks of mindless sheep that'll do anything they're told no matter how bad an idea it is, and is the origin of cults, rather than religions.

The thread was going to be more in depth asking about people's views on the concept of blind faith, whether they felt it was the only 'true' kind of faith, or if they preferred to temper their beliefs with knowledge and wisdom. I suppose the original joke, despite being a bad series of puns, was perhaps a bit too complex or misleading in nature though.

Blind faith can also be the the best way to go for some people. This more or less depends on the person. You can't have everyone thinking the same thing now can we? I can assure you there would be something wrong if everybody was not 'blind'. This is why those debates on the existence of God will most likely end up as FAIL for both sides. It'd be like and INTP persuading an ESFP that it's ideals are the best and vice versa. Some things are best left be.

I believe in God. I have my own views. I also understand the point of view of the atheists and agnostics. I have, however, not chosen to follow their path and never will. I suggest you don't put three religions in a joke and suggest that the people in these religions are 'blind'. It makes you look 'blind' yourself.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

What is your experience with these 3 for you to conclude with such confidence that their faith is blind and they follow whatever's said to them without any kind of validation?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*ponders seeing eyedogs for the blindly faithful*

:thinking:

reminds me of the placebo effect... how blind faith in certain things can have an actual effect over people, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing... probably a good thing in the case of placebos curing psychosomatic illnesses and such... bad in the case of drinking the koolaid because the religious guy told you to do so :doh:

I fear that I lack the faith mechanism... I'd be the disciple who asked Jesus "so why aren't the nail holes bleeding... are you a zombie? :thelook:

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The agnostic ducks.

feeding-mallard-ducks_7356-1.jpg

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8

Not necessarily aimed at you, but why is faith a good thing?

Why is definitive conclusion without sufficient evidence a positive concept?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe in God. I have my own views. I also understand the point of view of the atheists and agnostics. I have, however, not chosen to follow their path and never will. I suggest you don't put three religions in a joke and suggest that the people in these religions are 'blind'. It makes you look 'blind' yourself.

That sounds more like a stipulation on how to most productively engage (and yes, I agree with you, it's good to shy away from negative casting when possible), rather than resolving the actual conflict in content.

I still find the question intriguing, as Night sums it up again: Is faith in lieu of evidence preferable to withholding judgment and why or why not? You and I both think well... yet you seem to adhere more strongly to your belief despite a gap in evidence, whereas for me I felt I had more integrity to intellectually not assert something is true when that gap exists. What makes the difference? What causes the divergence?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
In terms of the OP, conclusion without evidence is, at best, a premature standpoint. Seems to me that the unfair accrual of social influence and financial power could very easily grow from the framework of such an ideology.

How does one dissolve this relationship? Is there ever really a way to gain 'honest' insight into which religion (if any there be) is fundamentally correct?

Or, is it always just a matter of informed perspective - that is to say, the religious identity one is most acquainted with will, by default, be the ideology one believes to be innately the best?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are several types of blind faith. Something can just "feel" right.

Or you can believe someone because of their credentials, priest, professor, etc.

What exactly does it take to have blind faith? Or are we just talking believing what we havnt seen?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
What exactly does it take to have blind faith? Or are we just talking believing what we havnt seen?

I've never seen Jesus, but I know quite a few people that believe in him.

I don't know if this constitutes blind faith, or just a theistic dependency.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've never seen Jesus, but I know quite a few people that believe in him.

I don't know if this constitutes blind faith, or just a theistic dependency.

I think the bible has such a strong tie with reality and history that its not really blind faith. Blind faith would be more like the Hawaiian gods. Is there any proof what so ever that ties anything to a valcano god being real. I am hawaiian which is why I decided to use my heritage as an example.

I personally think that the bible has enough good scriptures and such that even if you just learn those without even believing in religion you will benefit greatly. To me going against blind faith can cause just as many issues as you have a hard time taking things as partial truths. Its like saying god isnt real I dont believe anything people say about religion and you miss the life lessons that come along with it.

Yes I just feel like argueing logic today.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
:D

Me too. Have some downtime between work stuff and genuinely find the topic very compelling.

I think the bible has such a strong tie with reality and history that its not really blind faith. Blind faith would be more like the Hawaiian gods. Is there any proof what so ever that ties anything to a valcano god being real. I am hawaiian which is why I decided to use my heritage as an example.

Good example. It's tough, though - there are many historical questions with how the Bible does its reportage. Specifically, the Gospel of Mark and its narrative into the life of Jesus - the major themes most associate with Jesus (his incarnation into the faith via John The Baptist, to the notion of his crucifixition and his subsequent promise to return in flesh...).

Now, and perhaps this is the predominant issue I have with the Bible, how does one reconcile the inherent accuracy in such a recollection? As we lack independent sources to confirm credibility, we have to rely on Mark's accounting of what happened.

Well, what if Mark's wrong? Or, what if he engaged in hyperbole? What if he mistakenly ommited aspects of what happened? After all, he was like you and me - prone to human error and oversight.

I personally think that the bible has enough good scriptures and such that even if you just learn those without even believing in religion you will benefit greatly. To me going against blind faith can cause just as many issues as you have a hard time taking things as partial truths. Its like saying god isnt real I dont believe anything people say about religion and you miss the life lessons that come along with it.

I agree that this is likely the case. Many positive aspects of human behavior (likewise, if we're being fair, many aspects of negative - even malicious conduct) can be siphoned and applied to contemporary context.

Yet, we don't necessarily need religion to tell us what we ought to do and what we ought not to do. Civilization can tell us that. So can culture. And why select a monotheistic religion as the centerpiece for our social mores? Judaism has some wonderful tenets; so does Buddhism.

Each relies on their own version of historical account. It just so happens that our birthright has displayed Christianity, front and center.

So, you see my predicament.