• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Blind faith

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Also I understand that no double bind test has been applied to MBTI for seventy years.

Also I understand that, due to the nature of the test itself, there's no possibility for a double blind test to actually occur. Yeu *CAN'T* do a double blind test with MBTI, which's oddly enough WHY it has never occurred.

The only person it is capable of 'testing' is yeurself, and even then, all it tests is yeur PREFERENCE of certain values, not whether yeu actually think in that manner or not. As the preference of values themselves are inherently flawed, being a quantified version of an abstract concept, the point is not to assume it's 100% accurate and that yeu should treat it as pure perfection... that is the same mistake as those who abuse it make.

The point is to realize that it is a system designed to try to describe something in generalities which require specifics; MBTI can not and never will 100% accurately describe anyone, nor will it ever be able to accurately predict, even by its' own standards, whot someone's type "really" is; it can only measure yeur preferance, and yeu may not happen to like yeurself very much.

If yeu want further proof, keep in mind that it does not even TOUCH upon the idea of yeur base desires. That's Enneagram; I'm a 3 entp which's quite different from a 7 entp, though those are more common. There's not much yeu can do except try to further refine yeur studies through additional tests, and realizing that they're not going to be perfect as there's no possible way to break down the entirety of the human race into 16 boxes. Or we'd just have 16 clones that all look and act 100% identical.

As such, I don't see how stating "there's never been a double blind test of something which can't be accurately tested by two people simultaneously" has any relevance at all. There is *NO* test, and never will be any test capable of doing so for the psychological profile of anyone.

S

Sniffles

The fact is that the most popular decision by our Prime Minister was to ban guns.

I'm sure a quick google search will disprove this, as it's pretty done with everything else you've asserted about your homeland. But frankly I'm too tired at the moment to bother.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
A common but very poor analogy.

It's not really an analogy, and yeu may also just be reading into it too much.

Note, also, the lack of even stating whether they even believe in santa clause in the first place ^.~

It's kind of implied though that they don't believe in santa clause though from the context, but in no way does santa clause correlate to god as an analogy, as an analogy by definition is comparing two things by stating they are the same. "Yeu fly like a bird!" is a similie; "Yeu are a bird!" is an analogy as it states that yeu are in fact a bird.

In no shape or form was god stated as being identical to santa clause, as for this to be an analogy, it would have to state that they are the same thing.

It's merely a comparison of belief in both, and an accurate one at that. Saying "I don't believe in god" is exactly identical to saying "I don't believe in giant flying killer sock golems and believe in god the same amount"; this's not an analogy, which compares the two subjects to one another, but rather, a comparison of a secondary aspect (in this case the belief thereof) that both share, which's independent of their direct comparison to each other, which was never mentioned in this case.

That being said, *IF* someone stated that god was santa clause, then yes, it'd be a poor analogy. That's just not whot was said is all =3

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A common but very poor analogy.
No doubt it's a poor analogy to you--you believe in God, after all. For me it's perfectly good one, though, since I literally do take both of those ideas about as seriously.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Aristotle?

How do you know? What makes the "unmoved mover" necessary?

S

Sniffles

No doubt it's a poor analogy to you--you believe in God, after all. For me it's perfectly good one, though, since I literally do take both of those ideas about as seriously.

You obviously need to read up on metaphysics more.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
You obviously need to read up on metaphysics more.

Aristotle?

How do you know? What makes the "unmoved mover" necessary?

Peguy?

Even if we ignore contemporary scientific understanding of molecular movement, your "unmoved mover" statement is pretty tenuous. To be completely honest, it's been widely discredited in many philosophical circles.

That all you had...?

Bummer.

Mole

Permabanned
Guns are used to SHOOT things, that is their design.

Guns are designed for one purpose and that is to kill.

However your country is the greatest arms trader in the world.

So your country is engaged in killing for profit.

Mole

Permabanned
What is fascinating is the rise of the atheists Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and Dan Dennet.

But what is most interesting is that in listening to them that they are plainly right.

The theists have no answer to them except that they got here first and have control of our commanding religious institutions.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is a prime mover? Are my fingers typing these words a prime mover? No, something moved them. Is it my will that's a prime mover? No, for I didn't exist until recently. Is the Big Bang the prime mover, then? Suppose we say it is, but then what came before it? Perhaps God did, but then why he is moving, why are these letters--G, O, D--passing my lips, and why is this image of a bearded old man shimmering and shifting? It's already in motion, this unmoved mover, and surely even if it were to still itself, it would not be the prime mover; it's only an idea in my head, after all. Where, then, can I find it? It's got be somewhere, I know it has, but I can't get a hold of it anywhere--it's not speakable or even imaginable. If I reach for it, I only strengthen my act of reaching, and no amount of reaching is anything but an effort toward something I don't have. So far from proving God is the idea of a prime mover that I would call it the best refutation ever made.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
What is fascinating is the rise of the atheists Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and Dan Dennet.

But what is most interesting is that in listening to them that they are plainly right.

The theists have no answer to them except that they got here first and have control of our commanding religious institutions.

Yes.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Guns are designed for one purpose and that is to kill.

However your country is the greatest arms trader in the world.

So your country is engaged in killing for profit.

Actually I'm canadian, we use bows and arrows because guns are too expencive =3

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
And we use the boomerang.

Boomerangs were originally designed as a weapon and have since fallen into recreational use instead as their primary role.

We can really only hope the rest follow the trend set by boomerangs and swords.

...Then again, I'm not entirely sure I want to consider "recreational nuclear weapons" XD

Mole

Permabanned
Yeu *CAN'T* do a double blind test with MBTI, which's oddly enough WHY it has never occurred.

Of course you can do a double blind test on MBTI. And the reason it hasn't been done is that MBTI is not a personality test but a confidence trick.

But what is most fascinating is that those who have been tricked are least likely to admit it.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
How exactly is it a confidence trick?

I can see that, yes, it may increase confidence of some people, but that generally tends to come inherant with any belief that yeu think yeu learned something about how yeu think better. Self discovery tends to do that.

Now, obviously it's not the best of workings, but it does describe limited aspects of ones' personality, yet again not in great detail or accuracy. For a rough framework to start from though for understanding ones' personality, it's not the worst I've seen, just highly incomplete. If used as a basic stepping stone to learn about more advanced and useful stuff, it's pretty descent, and does give basic generic tools to work with, if nothing too fancy.