• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is work?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And Augustine also taught that heretics should be tortured. And so they were for 500 years.

And Thomas Aquinas taught that heretics should be killed and so they were.

And rightfully so!

Mole

Permabanned
In French, the word we use to say "work" has a curious etymology.

It is "travail", and it comes from Latin "trepalium", which means... torture instrument. :eek:

And the Bible teaches us that work is punishment for original sin, as Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden to earn their living by the sweat of their brow and to bring forth children in pain and travail.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
What is work? Why do I hate it so much? Why do I have to spend everyday doing something I hate? What do i gain from it?
Do you ever question yourself why you are wasting so much time and energy doing this thing called "work" everyday? More importantly, why do I procrastinate and how to fight it?

here are several definitions of work I come up with, but nevertheless imperfect:

work is art
work is changing reality with your imagination
work is using your intelligence to change reality
work is using energy to do something
work is creating something with your imagination
work is using energy to achieve a purpose
work is forcing yourself to do what you hate
work is praticing your intelligence
work is using energy to do anything
work is undefinable

If work is changing reality, what do I gain from changing reality? Why do we have the drive to change reality. Why do we want to transform what we think into reality? What is the difference between working and thinking?

If work is undefinable, why do I hate it so much? Why do I have to force myself to do something I hate everyday? Why do i hate something whose existance is questionable?
We do not know what work is.
There have been only elementary studies so far.
They have all failed.

Work brings about labour unrest and eventually, Civil War.

Mole

Permabanned
A Living Poem

Today work is communing. Work is communication. Work is communing with one another across the globe.

Earning our living by the sweat of our brow has disappeared with the machine. And making a living in a bureaucracy by reading and writing has disappeared into the internet.

So here I am at work learning to commune with you. Naturally I have a lot to learn, as I am making the transition from reading a book alone to sharing my thoughts once or twice a day, seven days a week, with you.

It is amazing we do so well considering our differences.

Of course we are not doing this, we only have the illusion we are doing something, rather something is being done for us.

Our individual armour is melting and we are being dissolved into the Typology tribe of the global village.

This can induce a feeling of panic as we understandably hold our breath. But if we breathe slowly and gently, we find we are floating into the noosphere, up from the lithosphere, up from the aquasphere, up from the biosphere, higher than even the atmosphere into the rarified heights of the noosphere where we find time and distance have been abolished as we leave our bodies behind and become pure spirits.

Naturally we find ourselves a little disorientated, we find we have a hangover from individuality and some of us hang onto it even tighter. But the tighter we hang on, the quicker it dissolves.

And from the heights of the noosphere we can look back on our history and see that it contained for a few brief centuries, individualism. But now we return to our heritage of 200,000 years as we commune with one another outside of time and space.

For 200,000 years everyday life was enchanted, but for the last 200 years we have stopped chanting and started reading and writing, but now as if by magic we have been re-enchanted and we find we are a living poem.

Beorn

Permabanned
And Augustine also taught that heretics should be tortured. And so they were for 500 years.

And Thomas Aquinas taught that heretics should be killed and so they were.

Red Herring.

Thomas Jefferson owned slaves. That doesn't mean I should ignore everything he had to say.

Victor said:
And the Bible teaches us that work is punishment for original sin, as Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden to earn their living by the sweat of their brow and to bring forth children in pain and travail.

Wrong. Work was ordained before the fall when Adam was given the task of naming the creatures. Work became painful after the fall. It is the pain of work, not work itself that was the punishment.

Mole

Permabanned
A Union Jack in the Corner

Thomas Jefferson owned slaves. That doesn't mean I should ignore everything he had to say.

'Course you should. He set you on the path to revolution against lawful authority. And now you are unable to think outside the box of revolution.

If only you would listen to sweet reason, if only you would listen to me and apologize to the Queen, you might very well find she may take you back.

And then you could be normal just like we are in Oz.

A Union Jack in the corner of the Stars and Stripes would make all the difference.