User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    If you are no longer wanting to have more, you'll be wanting to be wanting to have more.
    You shouldn't be wanting to not be wanting, either. That's a tricky one. You can't WANT to be spontaneous, or it won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    You say "much freer way" like its some sort of advantage. Maybe for a P it actually is, but I find the whole too much freedom thing to be disturbingly chaotic and unpleasant.
    Nah, it is chaotic and unpleasant to all. I think you learn to be better at it. You just need to piece by piece decide that this part of life is out of my control. Nothing really is in your control, but it seems impossible to get there straight away. After a while the chaos disappears and you will be in peace with the decision to let it go.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about types, I am a little jealous to SPs as they should be naturally more capable of doing this. I don't know many who are even interested in this kind of things, but the ones I know all seem to be NF... It is interesting how there are different approaches relating to type. My extrovert friend does yoga, while my own "practices" are based mainly on thinking.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I noticed no NT's responded to this thread yet.

The title is all whack, the premise is illogical and I can't see how someone can possibly benefit from such a pessimistic state of mind.

That there's much more to learn than what we already know is a fact. And that in terms of the universe there's a long way to go for us. And due to our limited senses, unattainable to some degree.

Ultimatly, striving for more knowledge will always be worth more to me than wiping the slate clean.

So, to end with an inspirational sentence that goes against the topic title. Build on the foundations of others, don't try to invent the world yourself a new.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It is a mind game, a paradox, it is not meant to be logical in that way. It is meant to lead you into a state that is not controlled by your ego's fears, inhibitions and wishes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    It is meant to lead you into a state that is not controlled by your ego's fears, inhibitions and wishes.
    Like I said, I can't see the benefits of that.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Considering that eastern religions usually focus on not being attached to the ego. You'd be correct in assuming that it's about the loss of self.
    i would consider myself somewhat of a taoist, but i definitely have an ego. nor do i plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. i'm not convinced that it can be done with in one fell swoop, as buddhism teaches. but i am convinced it can improve over time. "live and learn" basically. there are many small moments when one's vision of the world is proven false - and you can either cry foul, persist in that pain and disillusionment, or accept it. and so far, i try to accept it. otherwise, i go on living with "Self" until another shattering moment comes along the way. maybe if i experience enough of them, i'll be ego-less and enlightened -- but i'm not there yet.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

You don't see the benefit in seeing the world as it is, instead of seeing whatever it is your fears want you to see? When you "know" something, it distorts what you see, as you expect to see what you know. There's everything to gain in seeing without expecting to see...

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    This's regarded by some religions, and several ideologies, as the stepping stone to all else.
    There is a lovely medieval book that addresses this.

It's called, "The Cloud of Unknowing", by Anonymous.

And the name of the author seems somehow appropriate.

I can remember dallying in the sunshine outside the Chifley Library with, "The Cloud of Unknowing", in my hand.

It was as though the author, anonymous as they are, were speaking directly to me. And it seemed as though the Weeping Willows, the Silver Birches and the flowers all had something to say.

But as there are so many anonymous members here, I am sure Anonymous is one of them.

We only have to listen.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    You don't see the benefit in seeing the world as it is, instead of seeing whatever it is your fears want you to see? When you "know" something, it distorts what you see, as you expect to see what you know. There's everything to gain in seeing without expecting to see...
    It's true that the thought people attempt that scares the shit out of me. People living in such a distrustful way are capable of anything. I bet most extremists do this too, in order to justify their behaviour.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It's true that the thought people attempt that scares the shit out of me. People living in such a distrustful way are capable of anything. I bet most extremists do this too, in order to justify their behaviour.
    I don't follow your thoughts. How do you see it dangerous? Maybe my explanations fell short, since I see nothing dangerous in this...

EDIT: Do you think that human nature is dangerous without definitions and control? Most of the evil comes from fear of not having control... Actually, I think you already know what I mean, in some way... See this, I noticed it earlier:

how do you define it?
    I generally don't. Typically it's different for everyone, but mostly it's being able to share yourself with someone else and not feel entirely alone in the world.

what do you do with it?
    I don't do anything with it.
    You don't define and you don't do anything with it. That is how it is supposed to be. Unconditional. If you can live with someone keeping this attitude, then you got it. You don't demand anything as you know you can't control the other in any case. They give what they want to give and you are happy, since all this is bonus to you if you weren't expecting anything (defining it beforehand).