• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Beauty, the Supernatural and MBTI

Mole

Permabanned
Breaking the Spell of MBTI

Would it have been worth it, afterall?

I often ask myself, is it worth it?

And so far it has. For I have learnt about the internet, and about myself and most important how to stand up to the ugly, MBTI bullies.

At boarding school I learnt to defend myself with fists, and here I have learnt to defend myself with words.

But fundamentally I think there is immense value in breaking the spell of MBTI, even if the cost is rather high.

heart

heart on fire
And so far it has. For I have learnt about the internet, and about myself and most important how to stand up to the ugly, MBTI bullies.

At boarding school I learnt to defend myself with fists, and here I have learnt to defend myself with words.

You came here with a chip on your shoulder about Americans and immediately began lashing out with that tone. You put hostility out there and got it back. Why do you insist on turning it into a victim type of thing?

I am sincerely trying to understand but it is very hard to fathom where you are coming from.

Edited to add: I am not saying anything against having an axe to grid or being ready to pick a fight, many people come here like that. But it just seems to me if one wants to come on strong with a lot of hostility, one has to naturally expect it coming back at them. Where in the world does a person get the idea they can be hostile to a group of people and not get some hostility back?

Qre:us

I often ask myself, is it worth it?

But fundamentally I think there is immense value in breaking the spell of MBTI, even if the cost is rather high.

You are well set in having had the illusion of MBTI shattered. Old hat.

However, do you think you have reached anyone beyond yourself? Do you have proof of this based in reality?

Mole

Permabanned
Doh.

Still though, I'm curious why this is all necessary for him. I think his opinion is just as valid as any other. Who knows, he may be right. But if I came to the same conclusion, surely I'd find a better way to spend my energy. Seems pretty stupid to talk about things one doesn't care about. Victor, do you need external validation or "converts" or something before you move on? Is simply having an opinion not good enough for you?

C'mon I know you would like to get rid of me. But I've got broad shoulders. And I think it is far more important to break the spell of MBTI than to make you feel comfortable.

Mole

Permabanned
Do you have proof of this based in reality?

The onus of proof is on those who evangelise MBTI.

And the proof can easily be obtained by doing a double blind test, in fact doing a number of double blind tests.

But in seventy years not one double bind test has been done by the USA military or USA business.

I am afraid MBTI is a complete fraud.

Mole

Permabanned
However, do you think you have reached anyone beyond yourself?

It takes only one person to tell the truth, but whole institutions to tell a lie.

And quite often the truth is eventually recognised, but it is traduced and bullied along the way.

My father would say, you drop a small pebble in a pond and the ripples spread out.

Who knows who the ripples might reach?

Mole

Permabanned
You came here with a chip on your shoulder about Americans and immediately began lashing out with that tone. You put hostility out there and got it back. Why do you insist on turning it into a victim type of thing?

I am sincerely trying to understand but it is very hard to fathom where you are coming from.

Edited to add: I am not saying anything against having an axe to grid or being ready to pick a fight, many people come here like that. But it just seems to me if one wants to come on strong with a lot of hostility, one has to naturally expect it coming back at them. Where in the world does a person get the idea they can be hostile to a group of people and not get some hostility back?

C'mon groups bully individuals. But if the individual fights back, they are accused of being hostile. It's called Catch 22.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
C'mon I was invited here by Geoff and he told me this was a tolerant and well run site. And he was right. But he did not tell me anything about MBTI.

When I discovered the history of MBTI and how it is used today, I was horrified.

How is it being used today?

I live in the United States, only a small portion of the people I run into IRL have ever heard of it or even know the coding... and no one within my circle of contact has been forced into anything. (In addition, I've pretty openly spoken here against pigeonholing people and have advocated the system as to just be one tool of many, that should only be used in so far as it is found to be useful.)

So I find it hard to understand the vehemence by which you continue to approach this topic, without adding any more detail to clarify your opposition.

What is your experience in your country?

And I have been expressing my horror ever since in more than 4,000 posts.

No, only in about 1500 of them I think. :)

But what is amazing is that while I have been telling the truth about MBTI, it has hardly made an impression.

Perhaps if the way you are presenting your message is not achieving your goals, you need to either reevaluate your presentation ... or your goals... or your message.

It is plain that telling the truth about MBTI is like telling the truth about the supernatural.

No, it's not.

I'm amazed each time you dredge up this conflict, to see what new loose analogy you might try to weave.

Truth has made no impression on the MBTI evangelists. I wonder whether beauty will.

Truth and beauty, dude.
I wasn't kidding about fractals earlier. They're amazing.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
here I have learnt to defend myself with words.
uhh.. no you haven't. You've learnt to ignore other people's words.

Victor. You always seem intimidated when I make a serious comment. As if you at all costs try to avoid a debate with me so you usually don't reply or change the route of the debate. But you at once feel you can bash me down the minute I start to get unserious and it also gives you another reason not to answer to my more serious posts. If you are trying to avoid me or don't want to answer to my posts I suggest you tell it to me in my face. Because it seems to me you are a coward who cannot defend your own arguments the minute I walk in and say my view so you just ignore them.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
couple posts went over to the Graveyard.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
C'mon I was invited here by Geoff and he told me this was a tolerant and well run site. And he was right. But he did not tell me anything about MBTI.

When I discovered the history of MBTI and how it is used today, I was horrified.

And I have been expressing my horror ever since in more than 4,000 posts.

But what is amazing is that while I have been telling the truth about MBTI, it has hardly made an impression.

It is plain that telling the truth about MBTI is like telling the truth about the supernatural.

Truth has made no impression on the MBTI evangelists. I wonder whether beauty will.

Well, I don't care about the supernatural but every time I look at a dollar, I see, "In God We Trust".

So it seems very important to me to point out that physics, biology and mathematics have no need for God.

God and the supernatural are superfluous to requirements.

And MBTI is being pushed by the USA military and USA business onto the vulnerable without once in seventy years doing a double blind test.

So I think it is very important to point out the sheer ugliness of the supernatural and MBTI.

What is interesting is how much they have in common.

I'm relatively new here and please indulge me in asking this question, but have you provided or can you point to evidence that supports these claims about MBTI? Specifically, I refer to evidence that "MBTI is being pushed by the USA military and USA business onto the vulnerable." It is an interesting perspective because I have no personal experience or knowledge which backs up this position. I'd like to better understand your thinking on this.

By the way, love the red "V".

KDude

C'mon I know you would like to get rid of me. But I've got broad shoulders. And I think it is far more important to break the spell of MBTI than to make you feel comfortable.

Stop victimizing yourself. I don't want to get rid of you. I'm not anyone anyways. Unlike you, I know that about myself.

No, what I want is for you to actually follow through with your opinions, and leave of your own accord. That you don't do that makes little sense. Even worse, you seem to be burying yourself in delusions of grandeur, like this is some cutting issue, that you're the "loyal opposition", some iconoclast superhero against the unholy god that is MBTI, when the fact is that this is a pretty casual subject, and you look like a goober dramatizing it. If you really value "self", then have some self respect and move on.

G

Ginkgo

Supernatural don't exist? How do we explain this, then?

WHAT%20THE%20SHIT.gif

Qre:us

It takes only one person to tell the truth, but whole institutions to tell a lie.

And quite often the truth is eventually recognised, but it is traduced and bullied along the way.

My father would say, you drop a small pebble in a pond and the ripples spread out.

Who knows who the ripples might reach?

And, if you keep dropping the same pebble, at the same spot, to create the same ripple effect, pretty soon there will be a complete cancellation of the generated waves, given its equal amplitudes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Supernatural don't exist? How do we explain this, then?

He's Spiderman: Genetic mutation -- adhesive suckers and minute iron-stiff hairs on each finger tip.

Plus, I'm sure he believes in MBTI.
It's magic.

Mole

Permabanned
Stop victimizing yourself. I don't want to get rid of you. I'm not anyone anyways. Unlike you, I know that about myself.

No, what I want is for you to actually follow through with your opinions, and leave of your own accord. That you don't do that makes little sense. Even worse, you seem to be burying yourself in delusions of grandeur, like this is some cutting issue, that you're the "loyal opposition", some iconoclast superhero against the unholy god that is MBTI, when the fact is that this is a pretty casual subject, and you look like a goober dramatizing it. If you really value "self", then have some self respect and move on.

What is most interesting is that the words, "Move on", are those used regularly by police.

And the word, "Move on", are used here by the thought police.