• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The "Shaman" and Terrence Mckenna

G

Ginkgo

A friend of mine linked me to a video featuring Terrence Mckenna the other day...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c8an2XZ3MU"]Culture[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEglHjd_gUQ"]Shamanism[/YOUTUBE]

Terrence encourages his followers to "erase" their learned behavior through drugs; but drugs strip a person of their ability to reason. When these people applaud, I can't help but cringe... Because intoxication persuades people by lowering the mental bar of judgement; while people gain judgement by learning. The intoxicated man commits adultery because his judgement is dismissed.

So... the easiest to persuade are those who's mental bars have been lowered. Terrence is eerily charismatic... in his own creepy way. Charlatan?

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
The thing is, you can easily sell enlightenment, happiness, etc. if you tell people they don't have to achieve it the real, hard way. By actually exercising their minds and thinking. It's like people who do drugs in order to have “spiritual” experiences. You still haven't freed your mind and self if you're dependent on something external. I don't know if Terrence specifically is a charlatan but I think there are many out there who take advantage of people's real need. That's probably what could make him "charismatic" to some people. Such messages touch on a true and profound need of people, but then the truth is mixed with lies.

Lark

He's not a shaman anyway, he sounds like he belongs somewhere in Daniel Goleman's Dark Triad of narcissists, machavellians and psychopaths, who think that conscience is just conditioning and should be shrugged off.

Encouraging people to embrace their animal natures and exist in a world of lower rather than higher brain functioning is BS, it'll only create misery traps for those involved and others, you're exactly right about what intoxication does to the brain and mind.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
So... the easiest to persuade are those who's mental bars have been lowered. Terrence is eerily charismatic... in his own creepy way. Charlatan?

No, not a charlatan, but definitely a bit messed up.

I've been very very deep down the rabbit hole myself, it did 'clear my disc' very well, and my new 'operating system' was the realisation that sitting around without a goal all day was not a progression of my life. I picked up the same life as before the 'clearing agent' but with more determination and passion.