• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

demon possession/exorcism

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
No way! I can't watch that even if it is fake. :horor: I'm curious though as to what others think. :) OH wait, here's Jennifer. She'll watch it. Opinion?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
At least watch the first video. No exorcism there. Just the introduction of a young guy meeting some lunatic Christian pastor person, telling him about his background and experimentation/study around the world of other religions including the occult.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
You can't tell much from the videos... (the 1st one refused to load for me though... wonder why). I don't believe there were actually demons though. Group mob behavior can influence people's behaviors... and that guy John is a willing participant that could have been too caught up in the act. All those weird stuff... I wonder how much he made up just to spice things up... KKK? I don't buy that. Did you look at his face when the pastor brought up the fact that he was jewish and that he probably haven't tell them that? Everything else seems like a play act mobbish behavior. I have to give it to the pastor guy though... he is very charismatic... used for a twisted purpose but oh well.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Acccording to what I can gather. This dude John was making a documentary type thing that was intended to be humorous and sort of making a mockery of religion. He went to Salt Lake City and went door to door on Sunday morning to spread the word of 'Atheism'. hah. I think his attempt to get into the KKK was meant to be a joke as well considering he's Jewish.

Definitely agree with the "group mob behavior" comment.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Ah... just skim through that website thing... yah I'll have to agree with you on that

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've had a deliverance; much of that was over the top. A demon is a demon, Christ's name alone is sword enough...

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I've had a deliverance; much of that was over the top. A demon is a demon, Christ's name alone is sword enough...

I don't want to press you to share anything personal if you don't want but would you mind telling a little bit about it???

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

you had a deliverance?????

What was it like? (You don't SEEM like they got Lucifer outtaya... hrmmmm....)

Anyway, I love this stuff -- the demon angle, "miracles," "angel visitations," and so on -- simply as part of the experiential search for God or a higher power. Unfortunately, most of it seems to be outright fake or just the power of suggestion. :(

If you are interested in these sort of topics, the best books I've seen so far are:
- American Exorcism (by Michael Cuneo)
- The Exorcism of Annelise Michel (by Felicitas D. Goodman)
- Demon Possession and Allied Themes (by John L. Nevius)

The last one is very fascinating, it's a big book of literal accounts of possession in mainland China around 1900 or so encountered by this missionary. It is all told matter-of-factly, with no real embellishment or drama added, so I'm inclined to believe everything happened (some of the events are trivial).... I just have no idea what to make of them.

As far as detailed exorcism accounts, the two most notorious ones I've found that make an effort to be credible are:
- Hostage to the Devil (Malachi Martin)
- Glimpses of the Devil (M. Scott Peck)

Peck's book is more psychological, Martin gets into Catholic mysticism in his descriptions. Peck's accounts are a little anti-climactic, Martin's are actually quite dramatic and I'm not sure how much they are to be trusted, entirely. (He really embellished the narrative.)

Edit: Ha ha, I am watching the video now -- it's Bob Larson!!! That guy has been around for decades, doing talk shows about demonic warfare. A little nutty...

He's a very Te fellow, isn't he? Typical... he explains all of the possession cases as if there is a lawyer's rulebook somewhere describing exactly what strictures the demons follow, their "legal rights," and so forth... It's very predictable.

Oh dear -- the questionnaire. Reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy, Catholic style -- "You might have a demon if... you've ever practiced Zen Buddhism!" :)

best quote so far: "John, I'm only a third of the way through this thing... and you could have every demon on this planet inside of you."

oh wait: "Islam -- big problem! Who do you think is compelling suicide bombers? Demons! Nice kids with a job and a future strap themselves with bombs and blow themselves up. Does that make sense? No! Demons!"

And: "Mormons. I got my hands on some of the undergarments and wore them." // Bob: "That was not a smart thing to do. Because those garments come with a curse."

And: "I'm kinda surprised here... you've become a breeding ground for the devil!"

This is funny: "If you feel like shoving a fist in my face, go ahead -- make my day."

Later (after the first cast-out): "This is nothing compared to what you are going to see. This is just the start."

.. there was just too much to transcribe in the middle there...

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I hate scary movies...

*thinking back* Watching the Exorcist with my 13-year old friend (hiding under a blanket). It's 10 PM and nobody would drive me home, and nobody would pick me up. I was FORCED to go home 2-miles on my bike... in the cold... in the dark... by myself! *looking around frantically* In the shadows, ghosts and demons were EVERYWHERE!!! :cry: I charged into the house frantic, breathless, and heart pounding. I thought I was having a heart attack (literally!) The next day I was really sick. My chest still hurt bad. I rode my bike to the doctor 2-days later and found out I had pleuresy.

*shiver* Watching anything that resembles that movie -- No way!!! :horor:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't want to press you to share anything personal if you don't want but would you mind telling a little bit about it???

All I can say with any surety is several friends of mine from the young adults group I belong to helped me out. One in particular served as the force and conduit for the power of the Holy Spirit; two kept an eye on things, one was able to see more while the other could only tell the difference between the pressure of evil in the room and when it lifted. The other two were there for moral support, one of which is also an elder in the church I go to (yes, a 26 year old church elder, he's that awesome).

It's not cool when the thing actually sees that it's fucked; it hurts inside when the exorcist starts tugging. I cried twice, once after each attempt; the second time we called in two archangels for help. The exorcist and the one who could "see" ended up with their hands on me while I did my part to fight as well. The elder even helped out with the faith based questions he asked; he really kept my mind on the ball that way. In the end it was my faith and my will to draw in the Holy Spirit that flushed it out; but my one friend who can "see" said later that the angels ended up fighting with the demon for a good portion of the night after I had left.

It sucks, but it's nice to see who had my back at the time too. I know many would see this as me fluffing off and being an attention whore, but it's anything but fun or braggable. In weakness I let the thing in in the first place - what an embarrassment.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...It's not cool when the thing actually sees that it's fucked; it hurts inside when the exorcist starts tugging. I cried twice, once after each attempt; the second time we called in two archangels for help. The exorcist and the one who could "see" ended up with their hands on me while I did my part to fight as well. The elder even helped out with the faith based questions he asked; he really kept my mind on the ball that way. In the end it was my faith and my will to draw in the Holy Spirit that flushed it out; but my one friend who can "see" said later that the angels ended up fighting with the demon for a good portion of the night after I had left.

So what did you feel, though? What was the experience? This is all still just an external analysis, rather than a description of what was actually going on...

How did you know it was real? What made it real to you?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I tended to duck out of this kind of service when I was in churches that did it. It's always kinda freaked me out. I know there is fake stuff like that that goes on, sometimes intentionally fake and sometimes something more along the lines of mass hysteria, but I think that there is real stuff, too. I haven't observed or experienced anything like a full-blown exorcism, but I have had a few brushes with what I would describe as the malignant paranormal.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
BTW, when I was watching the Bob Larson clips, I also found 2 minutes of picture and audio footage from Annalise's exorcisms.

THIS really creeped me out...! My skin is still crawling. Maybe I am more of an audio person (I tend to be), but this is really freaky. Honestly. If Larson did nothing for you, well, this might push you over the edge.

These are actually the real tapes, as best as I can tell. I've read the book, so I know they made a number of recordings of her utterances during the exorcism (which was grueling and eventually ended in her death).

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
*shiver*

BTW, when I was watching the Bob Larson clips, I also found 2 minutes of picture and audio footage from Annalise's exorcisms.

THIS really creeped me out...! My skin is still crawling. Maybe I am more of an audio person (I tend to be), but this is really freaky. Honestly. If Larson did nothing for you, well, this might push you over the edge.

These are actually the real tapes, as best as I can tell. I've read the book, so I know they made a number of recordings of her utterances during the exorcism (which was grueling and eventually ended in her death).

Well, if it creeps YOU out, I'll never watch it for sure! *running and hiding*

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So what did you feel, though? What was the experience? This is all still just an external analysis, rather than a description of what was actually going on...

How did you know it was real? What made it real to you?

You start out kind of fine, till it panics and shit starts feeling heavy real fast once that happens. I'm really not sure how to describe it other than when the Spirit came in it was like good feeling energy pushing out garbage... A lot of the heaviness though manifested as shortness of breath, like my chest was being pressed on; headaches, it's... it's intense pressure. To tell you the truth I focused more on the mechanics because the actual feelings themselves were I N T E N S E.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I personally only watched Constantine, I was still fallen at the time so I mostly laughed at it. I wonder how I'd feel if I watched it now... My friend with the actual Deliverance gift absolutely enjoys it. And no, he didn't whisper in my ear "the name's Constantine, asshole!" that's Hollywood silliness for you.

sassafrassquatch

sign0094.gif

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, it was really pretty comical and dramatic (the exorcist in the videos I posted). I always have to question the motives of people like this.