Default demon possession/exorcism

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    No way! I can't watch that even if it is fake. :horor: I'm curious though as to what others think. OH wait, here's Jennifer. She'll watch it. Opinion?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ISTx

At least watch the first video. No exorcism there. Just the introduction of a young guy meeting some lunatic Christian pastor person, telling him about his background and experimentation/study around the world of other religions including the occult.

MBTI
    ISTx

Doing some research:
    Here is the guy that gets the supposed exorcism.

The Official John Safran Website

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

You can't tell much from the videos... (the 1st one refused to load for me though... wonder why). I don't believe there were actually demons though. Group mob behavior can influence people's behaviors... and that guy John is a willing participant that could have been too caught up in the act. All those weird stuff... I wonder how much he made up just to spice things up... KKK? I don't buy that. Did you look at his face when the pastor brought up the fact that he was jewish and that he probably haven't tell them that? Everything else seems like a play act mobbish behavior. I have to give it to the pastor guy though... he is very charismatic... used for a twisted purpose but oh well.

MBTI
    ISTx

Acccording to what I can gather. This dude John was making a documentary type thing that was intended to be humorous and sort of making a mockery of religion. He went to Salt Lake City and went door to door on Sunday morning to spread the word of 'Atheism'. hah. I think his attempt to get into the KKK was meant to be a joke as well considering he's Jewish.

Definitely agree with the "group mob behavior" comment.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Ah... just skim through that website thing... yah I'll have to agree with you on that

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I've had a deliverance; much of that was over the top. A demon is a demon, Christ's name alone is sword enough...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I've had a deliverance; much of that was over the top. A demon is a demon, Christ's name alone is sword enough...
    I don't want to press you to share anything personal if you don't want but would you mind telling a little bit about it???

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    you had a deliverance?????

What was it like? (You don't SEEM like they got Lucifer outtaya... hrmmmm....)

Anyway, I love this stuff -- the demon angle, "miracles," "angel visitations," and so on -- simply as part of the experiential search for God or a higher power. Unfortunately, most of it seems to be outright fake or just the power of suggestion.

If you are interested in these sort of topics, the best books I've seen so far are:
    - American Exorcism (by Michael Cuneo)
    - The Exorcism of Annelise Michel (by Felicitas D. Goodman)
    - Demon Possession and Allied Themes (by John L. Nevius)

The last one is very fascinating, it's a big book of literal accounts of possession in mainland China around 1900 or so encountered by this missionary. It is all told matter-of-factly, with no real embellishment or drama added, so I'm inclined to believe everything happened (some of the events are trivial).... I just have no idea what to make of them.

As far as detailed exorcism accounts, the two most notorious ones I've found that make an effort to be credible are:
    - Hostage to the Devil (Malachi Martin)
    - Glimpses of the Devil (M. Scott Peck)

Peck's book is more psychological, Martin gets into Catholic mysticism in his descriptions. Peck's accounts are a little anti-climactic, Martin's are actually quite dramatic and I'm not sure how much they are to be trusted, entirely. (He really embellished the narrative.)

Edit: Ha ha, I am watching the video now -- it's Bob Larson!!! That guy has been around for decades, doing talk shows about demonic warfare. A little nutty...

He's a very Te fellow, isn't he? Typical... he explains all of the possession cases as if there is a lawyer's rulebook somewhere describing exactly what strictures the demons follow, their "legal rights," and so forth... It's very predictable.

Oh dear -- the questionnaire. Reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy, Catholic style -- "You might have a demon if... you've ever practiced Zen Buddhism!"

best quote so far: "John, I'm only a third of the way through this thing... and you could have every demon on this planet inside of you."

oh wait: "Islam -- big problem! Who do you think is compelling suicide bombers? Demons! Nice kids with a job and a future strap themselves with bombs and blow themselves up. Does that make sense? No! Demons!"

And: "Mormons. I got my hands on some of the undergarments and wore them." // Bob: "That was not a smart thing to do. Because those garments come with a curse."

And: "I'm kinda surprised here... you've become a breeding ground for the devil!"

This is funny: "If you feel like shoving a fist in my face, go ahead -- make my day."

Later (after the first cast-out): "This is nothing compared to what you are going to see. This is just the start."

.. there was just too much to transcribe in the middle there...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft