User Tag List

12 Last

Thumbs down Tactile and Tact

On first blush this forum would seem to be visual, as we are reading electronic text.

But as we settle in we start to notice things.

We notice we hang on replies.

And we notice that we can't see replies coming. Replies seem to just happen. And each reply can be felt all over the world at once.

So as our blushes subside and we enter social foreplay we notice that each reply is like a touch. A reply is like a touch on our bare skin.

And of course this is why we are all so sensitive - we are touching one another with each post and reply.

So at first blush it seemed as though this forum was visual, but as we enter social intercourse, it become apparent that this forum, this electronic medium, is tactile.

And because our very medium is tactile, and we are sensitive to each touch, we speak to one another with tact.

Postscript:

Both tactile and tact come from the Latin tactus meaning touch or sense of touch.

MBTI
    NICE

Athlete's foot and beer both come from yeast.

One should try not to confuse things that come from the same place.

Ginkgo

We are not sensitive. Some souls are calloused like rhino hide. Others are moderate. Still, others are sensitive.

The sensitive feel deeply because they lack experience. The calloused and civilized draw closer to the flashing lights. The sensitive savage shy away as their souls are captured by the camera.

We distinguish the two from each other by touching them with our textured souls.

If we are of a universal texture, then we cannot make distinctions between us. If we cannot make distinctions, we cannot perceive. If we cannot perceive, then touching is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    On first blush this forum would seem to be visual, as we are reading electronic text.

And we notice that we can't see replies coming. Replies seem to just happen. And each reply can be felt all over the world at once.

So as our blushes subside and we enter social foreplay we notice that each reply is like a touch. A reply is like a touch on our bare skin.

And of course this is why we are all so sensitive - we are touching one another with each post and reply.

So at first blush it seemed as though this forum was visual, but as we enter social intercourse, it become apparent that this forum, this electronic medium, is tactile.

And because our very medium is tactile, and we are sensitive to each touch, we speak to one another with tact.

Postscript:

Both tactile and tact come from the Latin tactus meaning touch or sense of touch.
    What's up V? Hope all is well with you.

You are picking up on the highly kinesthetic nature of Fi. So, yes even though it is through an electronic forum, if I develop an Fi connection with another, it is a bit like dancing, touching, giving and taking and I can feel it in part of my soul, my skin, my lips, even my hands. But only with other Fi users. I may care deeply for my Ti comrades but the dialogue doesnt have the same tactile quality, thus does not generate the same Fi emotive kinesthetic response.

Tact? cant help you there....not really my area of expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Puppy View Post
    What's up V? Hope all is well with you.

You are picking up on the highly kinesthetic nature of Fi. So, yes even though it is through an electronic forum, if I develop an Fi connection with another, it is a bit like dancing, touching, giving and taking and I can feel it in part of my soul, my skin, my lips, even my hands. But only with other Fi users. I may care deeply for my Ti comrades but the dialogue doesnt have the same tactile quality, thus does not generate the same Fi emotive kinesthetic response.

Tact? cant help you there....not really my area of expertise.
    How can I explain it? This is an idea from, "Understanding Media", by Marshall McLuhan, the patron saint of the internet.

Simply it is that media alter our sense ratios.

For instance, print privileges the eye, and the other senses like touch and hearing fade into the background.

But the electronic media no longer privilege the eye so touch and hearing come into more prominence.

Like every morning I wrap myself in the newspaper at the Bakery. 'Wrapping' myself is highly tactile, I can feel it on my skin.

And of course the newspaper is an electronic medium because all the news is collected electronically across the globe at the speed of light.

So the newspaper impinges on my skin with each story from all over the world. Just as you impinge on my skin when you reply.

And just as our skins are exquisitely sensitive, and can't see anything until we are touched, everything happens all at once without warning.

This can give us a shock so we appreciate it if we are touched with tact.

And it just so happens that 'tactile' and 'tact' both come from the same latin word 'tactus' meaning touch.

So dare I say we should be tactful when we are touching one another physically or when we are touching one another electronically.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    We are not sensitive. Some souls are calloused like rhino hide. Others are moderate. Still, others are sensitive.

The sensitive feel deeply because they lack experience. The calloused and civilized draw closer to the flashing lights. The sensitive savage shy away as their souls are captured by the camera.

We distinguish the two from each other by touching them with our textured souls.

If we are of a universal texture, then we cannot make distinctions between us. If we cannot make distinctions, we cannot perceive. If we cannot perceive, then touching is useless.
    My city, Canberra, was designed by the eye of Walter Burley Griffin.

But the design of Canberra only makes sense when seen from 10,000 feet. So Canberra only makes sense when seen through the eye of God.

However it is print that privileges the eye and enables us to see with the eye of God, and so design Canberra.

So Canberra is a city that arose out of print but ironically it is now becoming an electric city.

So rather than seeing our city now, we are starting to feel and hear it.

Blackmail wrote his thesis on landscape design from the aerial view, the God's eye view.

How I would like to follow in his footsteps and write my thesis on how the landscape is felt and heard in the new electronic world.

MBTI
    INTP

And we notice that we can't see replies coming. Replies seem to just happen.

And each reply can be felt all over the world at once.
    Profound stuff.

This is a sexual fantasy to which I am not subscribed.

All very clear, precise and reasonable. I am impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    This is a sexual fantasy to which I am not subscribed.
    Rather than a sexual fantasy, it is a sexual metaphor.

And metaphors are not meant to be taken literally. Unless you are literate and only seeing through the eyes of print, then you will see the metaphor as a literal fantasy.

But as you move into the electronic world, called the noosphere, you will find yourself thinking more and more in metaphor and less and less literally.

And this is entirely necessary for so far computers can't think in metaphor, only human beings such as your good self are metaphoric.

MBTI
    free
    Enneagram
    nope

I'm kind of curious as to why the thumbs down icon was chosen for the post;
    Was it associative, simply for a bit of attention to the topic, or something else?
    Everyone is a case study.

MBTI
    INTP

Rather than a sexual fantasy, it is a sexual metaphor.
    I had no idea.

And metaphors are not meant to be taken literally. Unless you are literate and only seeing through the eyes of print, then you will see the metaphor as a literal fantasy.

But as you move into the electronic world, called the noosphere, you will find yourself thinking more and more in metaphor and less and less literally.

And this is entirely necessary for so far computers can't think in metaphor, only human beings such as your good self are metaphoric.

I am beginning to suspect that you are an NF partial to recreational drugs.