User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Socionics
    ISFJ

Default Does our perception shape reality?

Yes or no, provide explanation and examples.

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Absolutely. Just as the MBIT says perceiving is an information collecting activity. We make decisions based on perceptions and our decisions create our realities.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Our perceptions shape OUR reality, which might in turn impact objective Reality - or not.

An example - If we perceive/believe that we're messed up and no one could possibly like us, that will become our reality because we'll then approach the world/people with the initial bias that they won't like us..and it'll almost always become self-fulfilling, thus supporting our Reality further and making it harder for us to see things otherwise. We'll be wearing glasses that tend to only support our preconceived notion of Reality, and we'll only see things that support that - in the meantime, actual Reality will keep on ticking but we're oblivious to it. Or, if done long enough, what started out as our Subjective Reality becomes Objective Reality. This example is more passive/reactive.

On the other hand - if we perceive reality to be a certain way, and utilize that knowledge to make changes in the world (our immediate environment or on a larger scale) - our perceptions can actively change/impact Reality in a real way, whether or not our perceptions are 'right'/accurate or not. Example - governments or individuals in power perceiving reality to be a certain way, those governments/leaders making decisions and taking action based on those perceptions, and solidifing Reality in a new way that would not have come about had they held different views of Reality. This example is more active/initiating.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

I think it is significant, it is in some sense true that mankind is a rationalising rather than rational species, equally perception and perceptiveness are skills which I believe most people have the potential to develop.

However, I really have to say that that's a qualified statement for me, I can extrapolate a lot from thinking processes, insight provided by sources other than my own perception, for instance books and other peoples logic, reasoning and thinking.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Reality IS perception.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

If a person encounters a block of Decon and perceives it as a brownie, they could eat it and possibly even taste the delicious chocolate as it ran down their throat. Their perception of it will shape their reality of it until the laws of nature kick in and it kills them.

Perception influences, possibly dictates, the nature of our experience, but it has limited influence on consequences of our choices.

Internal perception and external reality are like dance partners in which reality insists on leading.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

read Amazon.com: Kant: A Guide for the Perplexed (Guides for the Perplexed) (9780826485809): T. K. Seung: Books

then get back to us ...until Kant, the arguments went back and forth between the "all of reality is real, independent of our perceptions!" and "there is no reality independent of our perception!" ...after Kant, a lot of these arguments are kind of ridiculous and suffer from false dichotomy/oversimplification.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

yes and no.
    i had a case for both planned out to write but my yes example really outweighed the no example. so ima go with yes on this one now haha.

yes- As in Plato's Cave Story - All we are know is what we perceive, we base our ideals and beliefs off what we see. its everywhere and in everyone. Culture is the perfect example. Its in a way bastardization of our forefathers, we follow what has been done and what is done and that is real to us. Its like culture shock when you go to another country. If youre a cold old Scandanivian and you take a trip to italy and get a warm kiss on the cheek from acquaintances you feel like its wrong, its not real to you. it only feels that way because we have not yet perceived it.
    my etsy Morphochroma

I know you think I'm crazy,
    but most people they can't tell.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Perception and the taking shape of reality are the same thing; to perceive something is for it to transform, and for something to transform is to perceive it. You can try to think of a transformation without perceiving it, but you'll already have lost the game, since thought is a type of perception. You can also try to a perceive on object that isn't transforming, and you'll find it similarly impossible, since objects are only still by comparison, as can readily be seen when you plant something in front of you and focus on it. You will find that no matter how still you keep your mind and body, the object shimmers, fades in and out, that your attention roams over its surface. In the end, you'll only be able to claim that the object is moving less than other objects, whether these objects are optical illusions or real things in the room. (The same thing can of course be said in reverse: motion stands out against a less mobile background without ever becoming pure motion. In this way, we can see that stillness and motion are a kind of yin and yang: they are opposites which, like all opposites, taint each other.)
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I have to say that for some reason, it really annoys me when people say "perception is reality." The points above are valid - a person's perceptions shape their reality and people's decisions are shaped through their perceptions. However, in the broader context, reality to me seems more akin to truth which is may or may not align with any one person's perceptions. People are often wrong and inaccurately perceiving a situation.