MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Default Life is what you make of it ?

Hi,

So many times I've read that life is what you make of it. Especially in new age articles, but I've also heard it a lot from ordinary (non-religious) people.

I think that's utter crap. Sure, we make a lot of personal choices and I hope everyone makes the vital ones consciously. But you can't get around the fact that more than half of the stuff that determines your happiness is already predetermined at birth (being born in the West or 3rd world countries, skin color, looks, personality genes, childhood outlook etc..). Not to mention that the relatively small changeable part of one's life that remains is still influenced very strongly by surroundings and most importantly other people's action. It happens every day that people's life are ruined by being around the wrong jackass at the wrong time. Or accidents etc..

I think at the end of one's life cycle only very few people can say that they had the freedom to live how they wanted it and that shaping one's own life is generally a fairytale to keep us all going.

Please discuss.

live is a never ending multiple choice test. choices are made on your inside. that's where the criteria are understood. its the internal live that you can embrace or deny. this is the first choice, not in a linear understanding of the word "first", but in a triangle way of looking at it.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Thanks for starting the thread. Please keep in mind I am speaking only for myself.
    When I see the words "life is what you make of it," what comes to mind is that you are in control your own happiness.

It means to me that despite the things out of your control, you are the one who chooses how to let them (other people, unfortunate events, the weather, etc.) affect you, if you let them affect you at all. And if they do affect you negatively you are in control over how oppressive or how long a duration you let it last. No one can make you feel bad if you don't let them.

I realize that someone imposing their will upon another can take away the persons choices in a situation, but the person can either wallow in that injustice, or they can grow from it. It doesn't cost money to try to and improve, nor to try to be a good person, so everyone is on an even playing field in that respect.

But then again this is all coming from someone who was fortunate enough to have never faced hunger, or living in a third world country, so I don't know what that person would say.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Hi,

So many times I've read that life is what you make of it. Especially in new age articles, but I've also heard it a lot from ordinary (non-religious) people.

I think that's utter crap. Sure, we make a lot of personal choices and I hope everyone makes the vital ones consciously. But you can't get around the fact that more than half of the stuff that determines your happiness is already predetermined at birth (being born in the West or 3rd world countries, skin color, looks, personality genes, childhood outlook etc..). Not to mention that the relatively small changeable part of one's life that remains is still influenced very strongly by surroundings and most importantly other people's action. It happens every day that people's life are ruined by being around the wrong jackass at the wrong time. Or accidents etc..

I think at the end of one's life cycle only very few people can say that they had the freedom to live how they wanted it and that shaping one's own life is generally a fairytale to keep us all going.

Please discuss.
    Yes.
    Freedom is illusion.
    Life is what is left.

It is made already.
    Now is never.

How do we perceive?
    Perception is reconstruction.

Hi,

Please discuss.
    This of course is true except if you live in a first world country and you are persistent, you have a good chance of getting what you want.

Of course it is easy to be derailed by bad company, by alcohol or drugs, or by a surprisingly wide range of hypnotic cults.

Alcohol or drugs or hypnotic cults are seductive and a surprising number are seduced.

But on the other hand many learn to stand on their own two feet without the aid of alcohol, or drugs or hypnotic cults.

So in a first world country, rich in resources, it is possible and desirable to enrich oneself morally, culturally and materially.

We only have to make a start.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Hi,

Please discuss.
    Really, I just think you need the right mindset. There is no goal in life except do the best with what you have. Some people, though are just stuck with so little that they can't do much anyway...
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INTP

The eternal optimist says differently. The person who never turns bitter and gives everyone a second chance does too.

'Life is what you make of it' means that you can either see that you're kinda hungry or that you are in fact not starving and some people are. Or that at least you have a loving spouse. Or you love to paint and that's great. 'Life is what you make of it' means that what you focus on is what your life becomes about. If you focus on the good things you're happy; if you focus on the bad things you're not. There is not one person who is happy with every facet of their life but somehow some people with little to be happy about are happier than others with plenty.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Almost, except that you're not the only one making the choices in your life, and choices that are made don't just affect the choicemaker, but other people as well. And you still depend on many factors that you can not influence or change.

But if there's a choice, it's up to you to make it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

you can still make something of it rather than not. and life is what you make of it, even if it interferes with others lives, or if yours is being interfered with. There is still always something to make out of it.
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If you think that life is what you make of it, then life is what you make of it. If you think of life otherwise, then it will turn out otherwise. You create your own reality with your mind, so yep.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)