User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life is what you make of it ?

Yes I agree with BC. That expression has more to do with your outlook and how you respond in the face of adversity. It's about the output from your psyche, not the input from your external world.

Sure, it's more difficult for some to make lemonade given their extremely bitter, rotten, or otherwise unusable lemons. If mine are juicier than the average person's because I grew up in a middle class family in the US, then it's easier for me to make my lemonade taste sweeter. However, that doesn't mean that it's less possible for the one with rotten lemons to just mold their perspective in a way that doesn't see rotten as an impassable roadblock when making the juice.

That's all that expression means.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    The eternal optimist says differently. The person who never turns bitter and gives everyone a second chance does too.
    Again, turning bitter is possibly not a personal choice but often an effect of whatever happened to you. My point of this thread perhaps is to say that it's probably not realistic to think that nothing can break you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    There is not one person who is happy with every facet of their life but somehow some people with little to be happy about are happier than others with plenty.
    That's very well said and that's what I at least strive to do.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post

So many times I've read that life is what you make of it. Especially in new age articles, but I've also heard it a lot from ordinary (non-religious) people.

I think that's utter crap. Sure, we make a lot of personal choices and I hope everyone makes the vital ones consciously. But you can't get around the fact that more than half of the stuff that determines your happiness is already predetermined at birth (being born in the West or 3rd world countries, skin color, looks, personality genes, childhood outlook etc..). Not to mention that the relatively small changeable part of one's life that remains is still influenced very strongly by surroundings and most importantly other people's action. It happens every day that people's life are ruined by being around the wrong jackass at the wrong time. Or accidents etc..

I think at the end of one's life cycle only very few people can say that they had the freedom to live how they wanted it and that shaping one's own life is generally a fairytale to keep us all going.

Please discuss.

You could try this. This is my currently preferred mode of thought.

“Laughter brings you to reality as it is. The world is a play of God, a cosmic joke..."