• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Synchronicity, coincidence and confirmation bias?

Lark

I've always been intrigued with the description of frequent coincidence and patterns in peoples lives and how they attribute those these things to their actions or other factors, is it synchronicity as conceptualised by Jung or is that just an example of cognitive confirmation bias?

Synchronicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I've always been intrigued with the description of frequent coincidence and patterns in peoples lives and how they attribute those these things to their actions or other factors, is it synchronicity as conceptualised by Jung or is that just an example of cognitive confirmation bias?

Synchronicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Either/Or.

I bet people's take on it aligns pretty closely with their take on the question, "Is there a God?"

Sunless

MBTI Type
INxx
Synchronicity doesnt refer to coincidences themselves, but to the meaning people find in them which is very subjective and personal.

Jaguar

The discipline of Statistics dispels the notion of synchronicity, as the double blind test dispels confirmation bias.

You know Victor, sometimes I get the feeling I'm reading someone else's words that you have adopted into a persona.
It reminds me of a patchwork quilt, a grandmother would create.
You find words you like, slap it on a patch, then sew the patch into the quilt itself.

One can only imagine what the quilt will look like, if it is ever completed.

Mole

Permabanned
Synchronicity doesnt refer to coincidences themselves, but to the meaning people find in them which is very subjective and personal.

Yes, Oz is getting our very own saint based on coincidence.

Yes, Mother Mary MacKillop is about to be canonised based on two miracles.

But for anyone who knows Statistics the miracles are medical coincidences.

And what is interesting is that miracles are part of the historical battle between Catholicism and Protestantism.

For the Catholics, miracles prove they are right with a direct prayer line to God through the Saints. While the Protestants say we are all Saints, and that no miracles have been performed by God since New Testament times.

But I aways tell them that Macintosh is Catholic while PC is Protestant.

But as you say, it is all a matter of subjective and personal judgement.

G

Ginkgo

But I aways tell them that Macintosh is Catholic while PC is Protestant.

If Macintosh is Catholic while PC is Protestant, what is Apple? Scientology? Damn, I hate keeping up with the Jones's. I think I'll just keep my PC to defy modern consumerism.

Exactly. However, don't discount the theory of special relativity; which is a sort of synchronicity.

Special relativity has several consequences that struck many people as counterintuitive, among which are:

The time lapse between two events is not invariant from one observer to another, but is dependent on the relative speeds of the observers' reference frames. (See Lorentz transformation equations.)

Two events that occur simultaneously in different places in one frame of reference may occur at different times in another frame of reference (lack of absolute simultaneity).

The dimensions (e.g. length, see Length contraction) of an object as measured by one observer may differ from the results of measurements of the same object made by another observer. (See Lorentz transformation equations.)

The twin paradox concerns a twin who flies off in a spaceship traveling near the speed of light. When he returns he discovers that his twin has aged much more rapidly than he has (or he aged more slowly).

The ladder paradox involves a long ladder traveling near the speed of light and being contained within a smaller garage.
Velocities do not combine by simple addition, but instead by a relativistic velocity addition formula.

Fast moving objects will appear to be distorted by Terrell rotation.
The inability for matter or information to travel faster-than-light.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Two snails have a competition.

The slowest to the finish line wins.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
The discipline of Statistics dispels the notion of synchronicity, as the double blind test dispels confirmation bias.

I'm calling b.s. on the first part...

(til I see the proof)

(which I prolly won't read anyway)

(cuz I'll know it's built on bogus assumptions)