User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

By nature, I'm drawn to Taoism and Existentialism.

However....

I'm being systematically weaned from all worldly and/or personal philosophy, having been translated into the marvelous light of God's Truth, by grace, through faith in Jesus Christ, and through regeneration of the Holy Spirit.

One day, I will behold Truth personified, the Lord Jesus Christ, face to face in glory, and I will be free from sin, and from the cares of this world.

Hallelujah!

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by frezekiel View Post
    By nature, I'm drawn to Taoism and Existentialism.

However....

I'm being systematically weaned from all worldly and/or personal philosophy, having been translated into the marvelous light of God's Truth, by grace, through faith in Jesus Christ, and through regeneration of the Holy Spirit.

One day, I will behold Truth personified, the Lord Jesus Christ, face to face in glory, and I will be free from sin, and from the cares of this world.

Hallelujah!
    Well you've learned a scripte fairly well there, what does it mean?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well you've learned a scripte fairly well there, what does it mean?
    Well, it's not exactly a script. It's a combination of several Scriptures, mixed with and filtered through personal experience.

As far as your question...

Isn't the meaning fairly clear?

I certainly wasn't trying to be vague.

Edit: Wait, on second thought, I guess there are some theological concepts there which may need explanation. I guess that's what you're asking, right?

Are there any specific things you think need more explanation?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Well, it's not exactly a script. It's a combination of several Scriptures, mixed with and filtered through personal experience.

As far as your question...

Isn't the meaning fairly clear?

I certainly wasn't trying to be vague.
    It was not clear to me no.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It was not clear to me no.
    Oh, ok.

Which parts, specifically, were unclear?

EDIT: Please don't say the whole thing! How embarrassing.....lol

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Oh, ok.

Which parts, specifically, were unclear?

EDIT: Please don't say the whole thing! How embarrassing.....lol
    No, it was clear to me that you'd cited a bunch of scripture which made a particular sense to you and meant something of personal significance to you too and perhaps there would be a shared understanding between yourself and someone else who professed the same beliefs, perhaps a fellow member of your church, but it was not clear to me what it meant.

It is a little like if someone were to post a few paragraphs of french or german, I could either tell or discover without much work that yes, that is french or german but as to what it actually meant? Nope, I'd draw a blank were someone who spoke it and understood it would not.

This is something about religion and religious experience I have grown to dislike, I understand why for some people it is such a turn off too and exists as an actual obsticle to their developing any kind of religosity, even resulting in an aversion on their part to the whole deal. Ironically I discovered this by reading a lot of works on or about Islam by Islamic believers themselves but, while that was my starting point, it is far from restricted to Islam alone, I'm probably open to accusations of sectarianism here but I think it is less of a problem in the RCC or older "established" churches, ie Church of England/Anglicans, than it is amongst smaller evangelical sects or congregations.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

All that said I've got to say that I love DMX's use of scripturalism in Give Me A Sign, also how I've seen random olde english king james references from psalsm or the old testament in boxing clubs.

It is amusing and makes me laugh

I think philosophy is a way of thinking rather than having a philosophy.

In the same way poetry is a way of perceiving the world.

And painting is a way of seeing. And music is a way of hearing. And dance is a way of moving. And good eating is a way of tasting and smelling. And making love is a way of feeling. And mindfulness is a way of attending. And happiness is sheer ecstasy.

MBTI
    INFJ

When Mamiya, who later became a well-known preacher, went to a teacher for personal guidance, he was asked to explain the sound of one hand.

Mamiya concentrated upon what the sound of one hand might be. "You are not working hard enough," his teacher told him. "You are too attached to food, wealth, things, and that sound. It would be better if you died. That would solve the problem."

The next time Mamiya appeared before his teacher he was again asked what he had to show regarding the sound of one hand. Mamiya at once fell over as if he were dead.

"You are dead all right," observed the teacher, "But how about that sound?"

"I haven't solved that yet," replied Mamiya, looking up.

"Dead men do not speak," said the teacher. "Get out!"

----------------------------------------------------

In Tokyo in the Meiji era there lived two prominent teachers of opposite characteristics. One, Unsho, an instructor in Shingon, kept Buddha's precepts scrupulously. He never drank intoxicants, nor did he eat after eleven o'clock in the morning. The other teacher, Tanzan, a professor of philosophy at the Imperial University, never observed the precepts. Whenever he felt like eating, he ate, and when he felt like sleeping in the daytime he slept.

One day Unsho visited Tanzan, who was drinking wine at the time, not even a drop of which is suppposed to touch the tongue of a Buddhist.

"Hello, brother," Tanzan greeted him. "Won't you have a drink?"

"I never drink!" exclaimed Unsho solemnly.

"One who does not drink is not even human," said Tanzan.

"Do you mean to call me inhuman just because I do not indulge in intoxicating liquids!" exclaimed Unsho in anger. "Then if I am not human, what am I?"

"A Buddha," answered Tanzan.

Tanzan and Ekido were once traveling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was still falling.

Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash, unable to cross the intersection.

"Come on, girl" said Tanzan at once. Lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the mud.

Ekido did not speak again until that night when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer could restrain himself. "We monks don't go near females," he told Tanzan, "especially not young and lovely ones. It is dangerous. Why did you do that?"

"I left the girl there," said Tanzan. "Are you still carrying her?"

A Zen student came to Bankei and complained: "Master, I have an ungovernable temper. How can I cure it?"

"You have something very strange," replied Bankei. "Let me see what you have."

"Just now I cannot show it to you," replied the other.

"When can you show it to me?" asked Bankei.

"It arises unexpectedly," replied the student.

"Then," concluded Bankei, "it must not be your own true nature. If it were, you could show it to me at any time. When you were born you did not have it, and your parents did not give it to you. Think that over."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Shoot heroin

thinking of you