• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Philosophy?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ As simple as possible -- but no simpler.

Ignorance may be bliss, but what meaning is there in an ignorant life? It has no value whatsoever.
What meaning is there in any life? Does knowledge give life meaning? Does knowledge add to happiness? Rarely. The acquisition of knowledge is just a compulsion for our type which compensates for other deficiencies - no need to elevate it to the sublime.

My point was that life is what you, as an individual, make of it. The problem I have with ignorance is bliss. Is that the ignorant, wouldn't be aware of themselves being blissfully ignorant. And on the other side. You can't unknow what you know and become more ignorant. So the whole idea of ignorance is a futile perspective.
That isn't the point. They only need be aware of bliss, not their own ignorance. It is ignorance of their own ignorance that contributes to such bliss! It is disparity and inequality that leads to most dissatisfaction and unhappiness. If we were all equally ignorant, the world would seem to be a perfect place - I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What meaning is there in any life? Does knowledge give life meaning? Does knowledge add to happiness? Rarely. The acquisition of knowledge is just a compulsion for our type which compensates for other deficiencies - no need to elevate it to the sublime.

That isn't the point. They only need be aware of bliss, not their own ignorance. It is ignorance of their own ignorance that contributes to such bliss! It is disparity and inequality that leads to most dissatisfaction and unhappiness. If we were all equally ignorant, the world would seem to be a perfect place - I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space.

Whilest I can not disagree with you on that. I approached it from the perspective of the individual that is ignorant and the individual that isn't, at least not by the standards of the ignorant person. Don't know the meaning of life. Highly doubt there is one absolute meaning of life anyways. But I have my own built meaning of life. And even though the ignorant person would be in bliss. It is not something I would ever hope to be. And even though the one seeking intelligence and wisdom but knows he/she can never reach absolution (making the whole quest kind of pointless) may never experience bliss. But have at least the satisfaction of doing something. And doing so to the best of their abilities. However futile it may seem.

It's the journey of the individual, there's not really a right and wrong here. I'm just posting my opinion. Don't take them as fact, for that is impossible. :D

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Yeah, I know. I just felt like pointing out the flaws in your logic. :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Knowledge helps us elevate happiness in others, when those around us dont use it in this fashion we are left to acquire knowledge to provide our own happiness.

Thats why ignorance is bliss, it creates stagnancy.

Stagnancy keeps us from getting hurt

Fear of getting hurt causes us to not trust people

Not trusting people pushes us to learn for personal gain

Personal gain causes a false sense of what matters in life

What really matters in life are the people around you

Thats why you gravitate to people who tend to be just like you

Eventually you end up standing in life surrounded by people just like you

People who are walking around trying to find a false sense of happyness

KDude

This has been blown out of proportion. I just don't care to bother to count how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. I can't get stoked about those questions anymore, and claim no answers to them. I'd rather just move on, go outside and live a little, and laugh. That's my philosophy, if you can call it that. Not sure if there's anything "false" about it so far. I mean, I'm not sure what you mean by false. None of it has led me to cause problems for anyone. I want them to laugh too.

S

Sniffles

I tend to dwell upon themes usually related to Theistic Existentialism, Personalism, and Theocentric Humanism.

Mole

Permabanned
Erasmus

I tend to dwell upon themes usually related to Theistic Existentialism, Personalism, and Theocentric Humanism.

As well you might, for the first Humanist was Erasmus (1466-1536), a Dutch Dominican priest, who was immensely influential on the Continent and in Britain.

And what is most interesting is that his numerous works, preached as well as written, were all accepted by the Church.

Penda

MBTI Type
INFJ
Philosophy is all well and good as an intellectual pursuit, but when used as a guide to live, there has to be a balance. I know from personal experience you can spend a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to live life only to discover that you've wasted a lot of time thinking too much. On the other hand, some people seem to have no method to their madness and more responsible people have to clean up their mess.

I don't think I could write down my philosophy if I tried. A lot of it wouldn't make sense to anyone else, and often doesn't even make any sense to me.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My philosophy on the meaning of life is achieving infinite mastery of creation.

W

WALMART

My personal philosophy....

Geez, I came here expecting to hit it out of the park, now I can think of nothing but bunting....

Do what you want, I guess. No one's gonna judge but us.

frezekiel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
By nature, I'm drawn to Taoism and Existentialism.

However....

I'm being systematically weaned from all worldly and/or personal philosophy, having been translated into the marvelous light of God's Truth, by grace, through faith in Jesus Christ, and through regeneration of the Holy Spirit.

One day, I will behold Truth personified, the Lord Jesus Christ, face to face in glory, and I will be free from sin, and from the cares of this world.

Hallelujah!

Lark

By nature, I'm drawn to Taoism and Existentialism.

However....

I'm being systematically weaned from all worldly and/or personal philosophy, having been translated into the marvelous light of God's Truth, by grace, through faith in Jesus Christ, and through regeneration of the Holy Spirit.

One day, I will behold Truth personified, the Lord Jesus Christ, face to face in glory, and I will be free from sin, and from the cares of this world.

Hallelujah!

Well you've learned a scripte fairly well there, what does it mean?

frezekiel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well you've learned a scripte fairly well there, what does it mean?

Well, it's not exactly a script. It's a combination of several Scriptures, mixed with and filtered through personal experience.

As far as your question...

Isn't the meaning fairly clear?

I certainly wasn't trying to be vague.

Edit: Wait, on second thought, I guess there are some theological concepts there which may need explanation. I guess that's what you're asking, right?

Are there any specific things you think need more explanation?

Lark

Well, it's not exactly a script. It's a combination of several Scriptures, mixed with and filtered through personal experience.

As far as your question...

Isn't the meaning fairly clear?

I certainly wasn't trying to be vague.

It was not clear to me no.

Lark

Oh, ok.

Which parts, specifically, were unclear?

EDIT: Please don't say the whole thing! How embarrassing.....lol

No, it was clear to me that you'd cited a bunch of scripture which made a particular sense to you and meant something of personal significance to you too and perhaps there would be a shared understanding between yourself and someone else who professed the same beliefs, perhaps a fellow member of your church, but it was not clear to me what it meant.

It is a little like if someone were to post a few paragraphs of french or german, I could either tell or discover without much work that yes, that is french or german but as to what it actually meant? Nope, I'd draw a blank were someone who spoke it and understood it would not.

This is something about religion and religious experience I have grown to dislike, I understand why for some people it is such a turn off too and exists as an actual obsticle to their developing any kind of religosity, even resulting in an aversion on their part to the whole deal. Ironically I discovered this by reading a lot of works on or about Islam by Islamic believers themselves but, while that was my starting point, it is far from restricted to Islam alone, I'm probably open to accusations of sectarianism here but I think it is less of a problem in the RCC or older "established" churches, ie Church of England/Anglicans, than it is amongst smaller evangelical sects or congregations.

Lark

All that said I've got to say that I love DMX's use of scripturalism in Give Me A Sign, also how I've seen random olde english king james references from psalsm or the old testament in boxing clubs.

It is amusing and makes me laugh :laugh:

Mole

Permabanned
I think philosophy is a way of thinking rather than having a philosophy.

In the same way poetry is a way of perceiving the world.

And painting is a way of seeing. And music is a way of hearing. And dance is a way of moving. And good eating is a way of tasting and smelling. And making love is a way of feeling. And mindfulness is a way of attending. And happiness is sheer ecstasy.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
When Mamiya, who later became a well-known preacher, went to a teacher for personal guidance, he was asked to explain the sound of one hand.

Mamiya concentrated upon what the sound of one hand might be. "You are not working hard enough," his teacher told him. "You are too attached to food, wealth, things, and that sound. It would be better if you died. That would solve the problem."

The next time Mamiya appeared before his teacher he was again asked what he had to show regarding the sound of one hand. Mamiya at once fell over as if he were dead.

"You are dead all right," observed the teacher, "But how about that sound?"

"I haven't solved that yet," replied Mamiya, looking up.

"Dead men do not speak," said the teacher. "Get out!"

----------------------------------------------------

In Tokyo in the Meiji era there lived two prominent teachers of opposite characteristics. One, Unsho, an instructor in Shingon, kept Buddha's precepts scrupulously. He never drank intoxicants, nor did he eat after eleven o'clock in the morning. The other teacher, Tanzan, a professor of philosophy at the Imperial University, never observed the precepts. Whenever he felt like eating, he ate, and when he felt like sleeping in the daytime he slept.

One day Unsho visited Tanzan, who was drinking wine at the time, not even a drop of which is suppposed to touch the tongue of a Buddhist.

"Hello, brother," Tanzan greeted him. "Won't you have a drink?"

"I never drink!" exclaimed Unsho solemnly.

"One who does not drink is not even human," said Tanzan.

"Do you mean to call me inhuman just because I do not indulge in intoxicating liquids!" exclaimed Unsho in anger. "Then if I am not human, what am I?"

"A Buddha," answered Tanzan.

Tanzan and Ekido were once traveling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was still falling.

Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash, unable to cross the intersection.

"Come on, girl" said Tanzan at once. Lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the mud.

Ekido did not speak again until that night when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer could restrain himself. "We monks don't go near females," he told Tanzan, "especially not young and lovely ones. It is dangerous. Why did you do that?"

"I left the girl there," said Tanzan. "Are you still carrying her?"

A Zen student came to Bankei and complained: "Master, I have an ungovernable temper. How can I cure it?"

"You have something very strange," replied Bankei. "Let me see what you have."

"Just now I cannot show it to you," replied the other.

"When can you show it to me?" asked Bankei.

"It arises unexpectedly," replied the student.

"Then," concluded Bankei, "it must not be your own true nature. If it were, you could show it to me at any time. When you were born you did not have it, and your parents did not give it to you. Think that over."