• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mind, instinct and intelligence?

Lark

I remember from school a teacher arguing that animals, particularly dogs, were without either mind or intelligence because they were purely instinct driven, now it was in the context of animal testing which is another topic but are your opinions about animals mind, instinct and intelligence?

Is it just vain anthropomorphism to make any comparison between human and non-human life?

Annaifiwas

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I remember from school a teacher arguing that animals, particularly dogs, were without either mind or intelligence because they were purely instinct driven, now it was in the context of animal testing which is another topic but are your opinions about animals mind, instinct and intelligence?

It depends on the animal and their brain. The more wrinkly your brain is, the more axons you have, and therefore you are also more likely to not rely as much on your instincts. For example, compare a rat's brain to a human's, and the rat brain will be far smoother. They do as well run more on instincts. So, as intelligence is somewhat defined by the ability to think for oneself, I have got to disagree strongly with your teacher. I've studied medicine.
Was that in elementary, high school or college?

Is it just vain anthropomorphism to make any comparison between human and non-human life?

Absolutely not.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Every night I have the same dream : I am on my 4 legs jumping like a wolf. I just mock at human beings and I feel so good facing the moon and the shadows...

My intelligence is called instinct... I'm a savage beast that does not know lies, stupidity, hatred, wars of religions, seduction, irony, apathy, jugements, critics,

social opinions, politics, manipulation, humiliation, betrayal, rejection, unfairness, fears of abandonment, lack of sincerity ,shit talks, mistaking, awkwardness,

pride, lust, greediness, stinginess, bloody rules, ego understanding and so on.

I just am.:matador:

I don't care if you like me or not. I just am. Maybe that's why you have no respect for animal specie, you arrogant human.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think animals, at least some, are smarter than humans tend to think.

Like dogs, and even cats. They seem to have something more than just mere instinct from what I can tell, but they still rely alot on instinct because of their survival skills and hunting needs. But they develop connections, bonds, loyalty, and even in some cases empathy and a sense of right and wrong. At leaSt dogs do. Cats usually are more independent and slightly manipulative.