User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Mind, instinct and intelligence?

I remember from school a teacher arguing that animals, particularly dogs, were without either mind or intelligence because they were purely instinct driven, now it was in the context of animal testing which is another topic but are your opinions about animals mind, instinct and intelligence?

Is it just vain anthropomorphism to make any comparison between human and non-human life?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I remember from school a teacher arguing that animals, particularly dogs, were without either mind or intelligence because they were purely instinct driven, now it was in the context of animal testing which is another topic but are your opinions about animals mind, instinct and intelligence?
    It depends on the animal and their brain. The more wrinkly your brain is, the more axons you have, and therefore you are also more likely to not rely as much on your instincts. For example, compare a rat's brain to a human's, and the rat brain will be far smoother. They do as well run more on instincts. So, as intelligence is somewhat defined by the ability to think for oneself, I have got to disagree strongly with your teacher. I've studied medicine.
    Was that in elementary, high school or college?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Is it just vain anthropomorphism to make any comparison between human and non-human life?
    Absolutely not.
    "If you fell down yesterday, stand up today." ~ H. G. Wells
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." ~ C. S. Lewis

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Every night I have the same dream : I am on my 4 legs jumping like a wolf. I just mock at human beings and I feel so good facing the moon and the shadows...

My intelligence is called instinct... I'm a savage beast that does not know lies, stupidity, hatred, wars of religions, seduction, irony, apathy, jugements, critics,

social opinions, politics, manipulation, humiliation, betrayal, rejection, unfairness, fears of abandonment, lack of sincerity ,shit talks, mistaking, awkwardness,

pride, lust, greediness, stinginess, bloody rules, ego understanding and so on.

I just am.

I don't care if you like me or not. I just am. Maybe that's why you have no respect for animal specie, you arrogant human.
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think animals, at least some, are smarter than humans tend to think.

Like dogs, and even cats. They seem to have something more than just mere instinct from what I can tell, but they still rely alot on instinct because of their survival skills and hunting needs. But they develop connections, bonds, loyalty, and even in some cases empathy and a sense of right and wrong. At leaSt dogs do. Cats usually are more independent and slightly manipulative.
    Likes Reborn Relic liked this post