User Tag List

Thread: White ninja?

Default White ninja?

This is perhaps more trivia than philosophy but I'm not sure, I was wondering if anyone knows that the story behind white costumed ninjas as opposed to black costumed ones is?

Chris Farley made a movie, I believe. You might want to look into it, Lark-san.

Sniffles

The image of Ninjas wearing black outfits is largely myth.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This is perhaps more trivia than philosophy but I'm not sure, I was wondering if anyone knows that the story behind white costumed ninjas as opposed to black costumed ones is?
    It's their winter camouflage for areas that have snow during winter?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Ninjas in "black" isn't so much a myth, as a misunderstanding of a representation of such.

In japanese traditional theatre, stagehands dress up in whot we now associate with ninjas; ie black ninja suits.

The idea is that since the stage is dark, yeu're supposed to "pretend" yeu don't see the stagehands.

Ninjas, due to being so sneaky and stealthy, are portraited wearing the same suits as the stagehands, to showcase that yeu're not supposed to "really" see them, and the only reason yeu see them at all is because it's part of the plot.

Some people, however, mistook this as ninjas wear black suits.

Ninjas mostly dressed like common people; yeu wouldn't be able to pick them out from a crowd or even a small handful of people; hiding in plain sight is the best way to be an assassin or strike when least expected.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Ninjas in "black" isn't so much a myth, as a misunderstanding of a representation of such.

In japanese traditional theatre, stagehands dress up in whot we now associate with ninjas; ie black ninja suits.

The idea is that since the stage is dark, yeu're supposed to "pretend" yeu don't see the stagehands.

Ninjas, due to being so sneaky and stealthy, are portraited wearing the same suits as the stagehands, to showcase that yeu're not supposed to "really" see them, and the only reason yeu see them at all is because it's part of the plot.

Ninjas mostly dressed like common people; yeu wouldn't be able to pick them out from a crowd or even a small handful of people; hiding in plain sight is the best way to be an assassin or strike when least expected.
    Oooh, sounds cool. I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Aw, man. I thought the thread was going to be about this. Too bad.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

If a ninja wore black at night, it's silhouette would stand out. So they wore dark blue, or even red. Dark Blue is obvious, red surprisingly does the same thing, the only significant difference is that when they appear in the light, it might also scare an enemy who may associate the colour with blood.
    5 3 9

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post

That's the history as I'm familiar with it so I wondered how the idea of particular colours of ninjas in costume came from, whether it was a western white vs. black thing or camoflage as someone suggested or more mythical or symbolic some how I dont know.