User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Marital Arts: Sport or Cultural Form?

What's your opinion on this? Its clear to me that there's always been varieties of martial artistry before the Bruce Lee movies popularised Kung Fu and Karate in the west, there were waves before that but I kind of think that's one of the more recent that I can think of, but the west didnt look upon fighting or fighting artistry quite the same way.

Sniffles

Well one of the biggest myths out there is that martial arts are purely a Far Eastern thing. The West has plenty of its own martial arts, and over the past decade or so there has been a growing interest in those traditions. One result of this has been the boom in Mixed Martial Arts(MMA).

Not to mention, Bruce Lee tried to break down "cultural form" in his own teachings by heavily incorporating western boxing and fencing (especially in footwork). He was an Ali addict..

Anyways, it's a sport. I guess. Not really the best word for it. For some people, it's just self-defense.

[edit] typo

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well one of the biggest myths out there is that martial arts are purely a Far Eastern thing. The West has plenty of its own martial arts, and over the past decade or so there has been a growing interest in those traditions. One result of this has been the boom in Mixed Martial Arts(MMA).
    The problem was, when gun powder made an appearance in the West and became entrenched. More personal forms of combat were left by the wayside. Or relegated to ceremony only. And some of it was forgotten almost completely.

OP: It can be both.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I am a master of the Marital Art known as "The Way of the Pimp," as it's translated in English. My Open Palm Bitch Slap is my signature move, but if I have to be sneaky I go with the Dolla Bill Rainstorm to incapacitate my opponents.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    The problem was, when gun powder made an appearance in the West and became entrenched. More personal forms of combat were left by the wayside. Or relegated to ceremony only. And some of it was forgotten almost completely.
    Yes and no.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Not to mention, Bruce Lee tried to break down "cultural form" in his own teachings by heavily incorporating western boxing and fencing (especially in footwork). He was an Ali addict..
    Its probably the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What's your opinion on this? Its clear to me that there's always been varieties of martial artistry before the Bruce Lee movies popularised Kung Fu and Karate in the west, there were waves before that but I kind of think that's one of the more recent that I can think of, but the west didnt look upon fighting or fighting artistry quite the same way.
    Inside every martial artist, and inside every body builder, is a 98 lb weakling.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Inside every martial artist, and inside every body builder, is a 98 lb weakling.
    Only some of them. In others it an unyielding perfectionist! Certainly, it's true that it takes a particular driving force to reach the hights of either.

Ueshiba probably was about 98lbs actually. But he'd still toss you around way.