User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Spending types?

Default Spending types?

What are you like spending? Do you allow yourself to be impulsive and buy what you want or do you find your conscience inhibits you?

I am always conscious of my spending. I'm not impulsive at all with material things. If I need something I don't hesitate, but not much falls into the need category for me. I will however, spend what I want on books without regret.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I don't like shops. If I had unlimited amount of money, I'd probably hang more at the second-hand store.

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    I am always conscious of my spending. I'm not impulsive at all with material things. If I need something I don't hesitate, but not much falls into the need category for me. I will however, spend what I want on books without regret.
    Ah, yeah, books are my weakness, but not something I can't control.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I consider what I buy to a great extent when I decide to spend a large amount of money.
    When what I'm buying are a number of small cheap things I don't consider much.

Phantonym

I don't like regular shopping for kicks but I can be very spontaneous and impulsive with my spending. If it's something I want and I can afford, I want it now!!! Fortunately I don't have the habit of hoarding things. However, I tend to look at things rationally, whether the thing I want is something I really need. I can't stand useless knickknacks and things that just collect dust. I want it to be practical and I look for things where the quality and the price are to my satisfaction. I hate wasting anything.

One strange thing I've noticed is that I tend to pinch pennies with small sums while I don't have any second thoughts with spending larger sums. This means that I tend to look for discounts when the prices are lower but when I see something that I really want and it costs quite a lot, if I'm ok with the price, I won't bother with looking for discounts. I want it, now!!!!

I think this is due to the fact that I use cash for smaller sums and a card for larger sums. So, giving something material out of my hands makes me realize that it's gone forever but when I don't see the amound disappearing from my bank account, it's sort of easier. And (larger) things that cost more are not something you'd be tempted to change every other week, and I've done my research on it and found it suiting me, so I can justify the expense for myself.

And I think this thread belongs in the Other Psychology Topics forum.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'm pretty good I think. I only allow myself to be impulsive with food, but usually food is not extremely expensive, thus my pocket tends not to bleed. I'd probably be more impulsive if I were really rich, though. I especially dislike spending large sums of money, I'm not a penny pincher but I consider extremely carefully any expense over 100 . I never use credit cards or get myself into debt.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I never use credit cards or get myself into debt.
    Oh, yes, that is something I avoid as well.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I plan big expenditures, but I tend to ignore how much I have left, I just decide whether I can afford it, and keep looking at it until I can't help but buy it... I haven't regreted any expenditures. I do however regret speeding fines, and late fees, that have taken a fair chunk of my hard earned and desperately needed money... oh and I convince myself that I am desperate for money at all times, and I don't know why.

I get angry when people try to sell me the idea of credit cards, my family was put in debt from them for years, I'm never going to make the same mistake.
    5 3 9

I am pretty good with keeping my money together, I have lived for such a long time on almost nothing that now that I have a bit more money I still can't just spent money impulsivly.

For me it's all about if I get the value for my money spent, if I feel it hasn't be wasted. For example paying a bit more for a great holiday or buying someone a really nice birthday present that they will appreciate is alright since I feel that I or at least someone else gets something out of the investment, however I feel really annoyed about small things like buying a train ticket that I don't use in the end or paying for overpriced food, it bugs me because it feels like such a waste.

I am also not into material things, only if it has long-term worth. For example I could imagine spending quite a bit of money on a wedding ring since I will have it for years to come but spending a lot of money impulsively on some trousers that I hardly ever wear or a gadget that might break quickly... no way, I would hate thinking about the money I have wasted.

Its interesting what you guys are saying about being penny wise and pound stupid, I've seen the same thing on a corporate or institutional level too.

And I think this thread belongs in the Other Psychology Topics forum.
    Do you think so?! Cool!! I was kind of in two minds but saw it sort of going into a tangent discussing consumerism, how that pertained to philosophy or spirituality, its those two disciplines which discuss that topic really, at least that's what comes up in a book search on Amazon.

Also I'd anticipated a whole debate about needs, wants, necessities and luxuries which has only partially happened.

That's just me to a T.

I used to be more generous in spending upon others than myself, in some sense it remains how I am but I'm working against it because I think its a kind of narcissistic trait properly understood.