User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Tarot, fortune telling and prophecy

Do you believe anyone has any talent with these things? Do you think they are useful as a source of reflective thinking and archetypical conceptual reasoning?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you believe anyone has any talent with these things? Do you think they are useful as a source of reflective thinking and archetypical conceptual reasoning?
    I do think there are some people out there who are gullible and willing to part with cash just to hear what they want to hear. I have done it myself. Some people also don't mind taking money from gullible people. Some people are also genuine in their talents, it is being able to spot them.

I personally think the problem is with all this is that people will forever pass it off as nothing more than entertainment because science can't prove it is true. In some instances it can not be tested in a controlled environment free from external factors so for the time being, lets just call it a bit of fun.

Although please feel free to take a photocopy of your hand, post it to me and i will tell you your life story and possible fortune.

At the cost of $9.99 postage included. Only kidding, lol. I do read palms, it is just bloody time consuming though.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Seems more to it, the tarot, than just superstition. Less about telling the future and more about opening your mind to your intuition during a reading. With me, I try and make it fun and don't take it too seriously beyond opening the intuition channeling.

Similar to MBTI in a sense as to its application to Jungian psychology. See Jung & Tarot Symbolism
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think horoscopes and tarot readings are more a "focal point" for one's conscious mind -- a filter by which to view one's life and direct one's energy and activity.

Some people get the same sort of result from reading spiritual texts and/or prayer.

As best as I can tell, the tarot is not predictive in nature, just directive (i.e., "look at this part of your life, try to see it this way, learn anything new and useful?")
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think horoscopes and tarot readings are more a "focal point" for one's conscious mind -- a filter by which to view one's life and direct one's energy and activity.

Some people get the same sort of result from reading spiritual texts and/or prayer.

As best as I can tell, the tarot is not predictive in nature, just directive (i.e., "look at this part of your life, try to see it this way, learn anything new and useful?")
    Correct ime, it's a way to access your subconscious, a tool. I'm referring to things like crystal ball and tarot now (don't know astrology well enough to comment). Here's the neat trick: all magic in some way, works like this. Magic isn't what the popular definition suggests it is.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think anything is possible (idealistic enough for ya?) but I do think about 80% of the stuff people throw out there is horseshit.

But, just because those 80% don't have actual "mystical" properties, doesn't mean it can't be useful or fun.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Do you believe anyone has any talent with these things?
    I do, yes. I've seen it myself. Generally, everything is connected. Past, future, here, there, etc. If you are sensitive to it, the normal bounds are not always a restriction and you can know things beyond them. Some people don't even need things to help them like cards. That said, I don't think it's a good or helpful thing to get into. I don't think it particularly helps your situation and it can be harmful. Destiny and time are so unfathomable.

Do you think they are useful as a source of reflective thinking and archetypical conceptual reasoning?
    I'm not sure how you mean. That would depend on what you're reflecting about. I will take a guess and say that reflection and reason are necessary things, but they are not the only tools we have to collect information. They are necessary as far as what they can be applied to but there is other information which you do not use reflection and reasoning to collect. I'm not sure what to call it. I wouldn't call it intuition exactly. If you see it, you see it. It's not intuitive. This other tool also has its limits, as reasoning does.

MBTI
    ENTP

Tarrot
    Psycic
    Runes
    I-chung

Are more divination than anything else... use them as an oricle and they will be OK - they can stimulate great thought. It's like reading the fire or sand or the likes.... there is more system to tarrot than it apepars, stock definitions. Runes is very much an orycle, I chung is designed that way.

Astrology is analysis of data and interpretation of data via use standard definitions.

Hand writtng and palmistry is a grey-ish area... not psycic in any way, because you read lines that are there.... less data driven than astro though

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Tarrot
    Psycic
    Runes
    I-chung

Are more divination than anything else... use them as an oricle and they will be OK - they can stimulate great thought. It's like reading the fire or sand or the likes.... there is more system to tarrot than it apepars, stock definitions. Runes is very much an orycle, I chung is designed that way.

Astrology is analysis of data and interpretation of data via use standard definitions.

Hand writtng and palmistry is a grey-ish area... not psycic in any way, because you read lines that are there.... less data driven than astro though
    Dude. Seriously. Spell check. It is your friend.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Pettycure View Post
    Dude. Seriously. Spell check. It is your friend.
    and dyslexia is the enemy, trust me, it's you that has the problem with my spelling not me
    My adice to you - deal with it