• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Just Desserts and an Afterlife

Lark

I'm interested in this, in reading the thread about unanticipated judgement by a diety upon death there seemed to be a lot of righteous indignation about being judged and especially about the application of certain criteria in the judgement, ie observance of worship, homage, subordination to a diety.

So I'm interested to know about peoples views about an afterlife, should one exist, is there any kind of element of reward? Does living as a sinner or a saint feature in your reckoning or conceptualisation of an afterlife or judgement? Is there an afterlife devoid of judgement, reward, merit or consequence? Perhaps you believe that this life is prelude to another but not an afterlife in a sense of an "otherworld" but instead a further life as in reincarnation or the transmigration of the soul to another vassal?

Most recently I've been interested by two things, Mesier Echarkt (spelling) and mysticism's suggestion that after death the spirits which strip away any attachment to life will be preceived as either angels or devils depending upon how attached you are to life and whether you are in a state of traumatic loss and resisting the cross over.

The other more interesting idea has been that of the Samuari attitude to death and an afterlife, they did not speculate because on the principle of desert they didnt not believe themselves deserving of it because of their having killed people in this life and other exclusionary criteria meaning they could or should receive no reward and should abhor and disdain it in any case.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm interested in this, in reading the thread about unanticipated judgement by a diety upon death there seemed to be a lot of righteous indignation about being judged and especially about the application of certain criteria in the judgement, ie observance of worship, homage, subordination to a diety.

So I'm interested to know about peoples views about an afterlife, should one exist, is there any kind of element of reward? Does living as a sinner or a saint feature in your reckoning or conceptualisation of an afterlife or judgement? Is there an afterlife devoid of judgement, reward, merit or consequence? Perhaps you believe that this life is prelude to another but not an afterlife in a sense of an "otherworld" but instead a further life as in reincarnation or the transmigration of the soul to another vassal?

Most recently I've been interested by two things, Mesier Echarkt (spelling) and mysticism's suggestion that after death the spirits which strip away any attachment to life will be preceived as either angels or devils depending upon how attached you are to life and whether you are in a state of traumatic loss and resisting the cross over.

The other more interesting idea has been that of the Samuari attitude to death and an afterlife, they did not speculate because on the principle of desert they didnt not believe themselves deserving of it because of their having killed people in this life and other exclusionary criteria meaning they could or should receive no reward and should abhor and disdain it in any case.

There have been other threads to the affect of "Do you believe in an afterlife?"

My attitude on this is a pretty traditional Buddhist or Hindu one. One performs actions, creates karma from such actions, and those have consequences, both in terms of the "after [physical] death states" and the conditions under which one reincarnates in the future.