• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ghost hunting and paranormal investigations

Lark

Has anyone done any ghost hunting or paranormal investigation?

I can be honest and say that my experience is limited, I've read plenty but dont know if I believe very much at all, I've done all the ghost walks and tours around Edinburgh on different visits to the place and found them entertaining but that's been about the height of it.

In the family I have had uncles and family members who had photographic evidence of some strange things from a miracle site here in ireland (a statute or holy icon whose appearence changed a number of times in photographs which were taken of it as it appeared to be crying) and they have told me of their experiences but they have all the hall marks of atypical ghost stories.

I kind of would like to witness or experience something inexplicable as I do believe in an afterlife but to believe and to know are two different things and I would appreciate any kind of evidence I could find.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I think it's actually something that should be looked into seriously, over long term.

The current "ghost hunts" are bad jokes... I know let's camp out overnight and see if stuff that happens reportedly once every few months happens!

...Because yeah, yeu're going to be that lucky.

There's been virtually no true evidence to support haunted houses and such unfortunately, because noone really has been given the time and finances to do so.

Whot we need, and I'd like to do some day, is BUY a supposedly haunted house, and stuff meters everywhere running 24/7. That way if something actually DOES occur, it can be actually verified finally.

While I love ghost stories and always have, I don't consider the vast majority of accounts to be 'real'. Most are made up, group hysteria, or misattributing many other things to the supernatural. I also believe that, due to how Electromagnetic fields can screw with the brain's ability to process electrical input (neurons run off this so yeah... yeu'd think it'd be related), that seeing a strong EM field would imply that there is *NOT* a ghost or anything and the brain's just misinterpreting the electrical signals.

So yeah... while I believe there are possibile explainations which may cover the vast majority of 'hauntings', I think there's probably the odd, rare one they just CAN'T.

"It only makes sense that truth is stranger than fiction, after all, fiction has to stick to possibilities."

So yeah, I figure there's probably some really weird stuff out there that really MIGHT be paranormal stuffs, but the majority of it and the attempt to ghosthunt actively, I highly doubt yeu'll get much luck. Even in 'supernatural hotspots', it's exceedingly rare, with witnessed accounts really only showing anything once in a long time.

G

Ginkgo

If the supernatural can be observed by natural means within the natural world, then it is instead natural. So we are left with the paradigm of "paranormal", which defines experiences outside the realm of normality or scientific explanation. It seems that there are experiences where these two definitions converge, which is confusing. However, you might say that the modicum of supernatural essence that humans have allows them to perceive such phenomena... In which case cameras and other electronics should not have the capacity to capture ghosts.

The very act of ghost hunting is like hunting a non-existent whale because ghosts should not inhabit the natural plane... That is if they're departed souls. However, if they're remnants of consciousness, or perhaps the residue of life, then I suppose it's possible that they are denizens of the natural world; and then everything I just said would be hogwash.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
one doesn't need to believe in anything for ghosts to exist or not. spend a few nights in jerome, az

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I briefly contemplated becoming a ghost hunter but decided to become a dinosaur hunter instead. That is my story.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
Tell us about Jerome AZ! I'm fascinated by this stuff. :blush:

its an old mining town not too far from sedona. its situated on the side of a mountain. the town itself is very small, comprising of one winding street up the mountain. it leads to the other side of the mountain. its populated mostly by hippies and artists.

jerome is known to have one of the most haunted places known in the US. i think its called the grand hotel. something like that. i have not been there, but im sure those boneheads from the "investigative" reality shows have. the second most popular haunted place in jerome is the dive bar/hotel/former brothel in the center of town. i had a couple drinks there, but that was about it. i had to get my kicks off the tourist loop.

i was with an ex and we were recreationally ghost hunting. no cameras or intentions to gain anything from it other than getting an adrenaline rush. we ventured to the outskirts of town at night. there was a small, old school off the road towards the mines. it looked like it was still being used. it was fairly maintained outside.

when you get to the school from the road you have to walk around it to see the front doors. traveling beyond the school you walk past a few old wooden outdoor, somewhat dilapidated schoolhouses that look like they've been converted to storage units.

following the path past the shackhouses you approach a driveway leading up a hill in a spiral. following the spiral driveway you get to the top of a hill, and about 500 meters away is the most motherfucking foreboding house i've ever seen in my life. it had all these radio towers on it and it was large and old, but looked in decent shape, considering it was night time. we didn't make it all the way to the house and not for the lack of wanting to, or because the lights were on.

needless to say, our suspicions were validated during our visit. that whole area, from the schoolhouse to the estate on the hill is very much haunted. go there at night. check it out. i would go again on a full moon. even if the full moon aspect is psychological, why spoil the fun?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I really love ghost hunter shows. I'm a complete sucker for them. Funny thing is, I'm a skeptic, but I still wouldn't live in a house where a murder had taken place or anything.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think that I believe in ghosts, but I am not sure I've ever believed any particular ghost tale. All the ones that get investigated seem very unconvincing.

Lark, are your family's photos of Ballinspittle? I'm fascinated by all manner of supernatural religious phenomena.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I really love ghost hunter shows. I'm a complete sucker for them. Funny thing is, I'm a skeptic, but I still wouldn't live in a house where a murder had taken place or anything.

Yeah, I think the horrific memories or foul stigmas are what would haunt or concern me, should I choose to live in a place like that, and not so much the "ghost" aspect.

Although, I would like to visit the Winchester House. I'm quite fascinated by the architecture of a house owned by someone who thought ghosts were after her, and thus built her mansion for the specific purpose of confusing ghosts...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

ha ha... word for word!

I don't watch them due to lack of time and usually not seeing anything substantial, but I've loved ghost and paranormal studies since I was very very young (i.e., 7-8 years old). "In Search of" was one of my favorite shows growing up.

I would like to understand and even believe, but so far the evidence is ambiguous if not dubious.

And yeah, I can get very freaked out in the right (err, wrong) environment. I grew up next to a 200-year-old cemetery to boot; at night, with the moon out, I could look out and see all the shadows of the tombstones. Worse, we had a dog, and if I walked her late at night, I'd have to walk the whole length of the cemetery as part of doing the rounds... some nights I was okay, some nights I would freak and run her the whole way back to the house.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wonka and I plan on maybe bringing a video camera and walking along the rod-iron fence of William Land Park cemetery here in Midtown Sac, but I kinda want to wait until we have a group of at least three, lol.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I've always wanted to fuck around with a Ouiji board just to see what happened.... try to summon a demon or whatever. My ESFJ friend direly discouraged me from doing so, but I still haven't..... It's weird cuz I think I feel like Jennifer/Tallu, I'm actually afraid/considering the possibility something like that MIGHT happen. But apparently you need several people around for it to "work", which you can imagine what is really going on there.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've heard Ouiji horror stories from friends...I had no problem oblidging when my parents asked me to stay away from it.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I'll get around to ghosts as soon as I finally slay a dragon.

I see them flying around all the time but never when anyone else is looking or I have a camera. Really!

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh don't worry Feops, I took down your mom last night. :)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[YOUTUBE="FtyNeMazZY8"]:whistling:[/YOUTUBE]