12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default What's philosophy good for?

Okay so it looks like we have a few people here who could name drop a fair number of philosophers and equally quote some theories at least in title if not in full. It seems a relevant place to ask the question, what's the point?

Realistically does the finer points of philosophy actually have any relevance any more or is it purely an exercise for the mind. Yes I understand the relevance of existentialism and so on but is there any development or is it best to just read Socrates and other's works and then leave it there. Recorded examples of brilliant thinking which alters your perceptions of what is.

The reason I ask is because it seems like philosophy has just gotten to the school yard stage and all anyone ever does with it is try to beat others over the head with their own much more impressive philosophy.

Surely a field such as philosophy is not about who is right but about getting closer to understanding everything. That seems lost on 90% of the philosophy I've seen and in which case what on earth is the point to it all?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I sometimes wonder if Socrates was the last great philosopher. Enlightened thinking should lead to enlightened doing. Mostly what I see out of philosophers is thinking that just leads to more thinking and talking and not a lot of doing. If a philosopher discovers what wisdom is, but does not apply it in any way then has he really discovered wisdom?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ

I agree completely with Laser. Life is for living, and we do things to make our living better, and we should think things that make our living better. To bridge the gap, we have to do something about our thoughts. The philosophy of language is perhaps "serious mental play," but in general philosophy, like Plato's, should become deeds, not words.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think that exercise of the mind is just as important as anything tangible. It can help you think about things in a new way, and encourages creativity/intelligence.

I usually try to find philosophies and ideas that bring me closer to understanding things, but it is interesting and meaningful for me to just examine philosophies.

MBTI
    OMNi

I love using philosophy to illustrate a point I am trying to make. It can be a great clarifier if somebody doesn't understand the topic we are discussing or its relative importance.

MBTI
    ENTJ

The main use of philosophy, as I see it, is to deconstruct existing false beliefs that cloud our understanding of things. However, I don't expect it to give us any suitable answers.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I think it provides a basis from which we can learn to better adapt our thinking so as to discourage bias.

To this end, I think philosophy should be a pervasive undergarment for most academic curriculums, beginning in youth.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    However, I don't expect it to give us any suitable answers.
    I think, to rely on philosophy as an exacting instrument to deliver suitable answers, is to miss the point of philosophy altogether.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Philosophy is one of the forces that guides the laws and technology of the land.

Seneca was the last such person to turn my head to any great degree.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I think, to rely on philosophy as an exacting instrument to deliver suitable answers, is to miss the point of philosophy altogether.
    Yes I agree.