• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Natural Born Theorist

Lark

I know Jennifer would probably appreciate the sentiment too but I thought I'd create a thread for all the lovers of theory to discuss exactly why and wherefore they like theory so much and the highs and lows of being theorists. Could totally bomb but I figure that you're at least interested typology theory if you've searched out a forum on typology.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which kind of theory? Any kind or just type?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, well I am going to answer as to why I love theory in general.

I love ideas. Why I love type theory:

With type theory, I kinda just love using it as a tool. I love to type people and get inside their minds and plot their actions and the like.

I had said 'love' six times (seven) in 52 words...That is more than 10% of my words! :shock:

Only with theory :wubbie:

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
yeah, my sentiments are the same. I'm just an abstraction whore, it's just the way I am and i don't see a reason to justify that behavior. I am an infant boy and ideas are my play toys. DO NOT ask me to file taxes, pay rent on time, or to count calories. I'm too friggin busy!

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
I thought I'd create a thread for all the lovers of theory to discuss exactly why and wherefore they like theory so much and the highs and lows of being theorists.

I love theories, because they give me the opportunity to question everything. I think the general structure of how a theory works can teach me some very valuable life lessons, ones that let me know that my life is directed by how I choose to lead it, and not by how others think I should. It also sucks when I think I don't know what the hell I'm talking about half the time... There is too much happening up inside my head...:blush:

I figure that you're at least interested typology theory if you've searched out a forum on typology.

I searched out this forum to find myself,... I'm still looking...:cry: I need to have a better understanding of why people are the way they are, and I need to have a better understanding of why I am the way I am.

I want to learn how to properly adapt myself socially, and theoretically, if I can effectively apply all of the type functions to a situation as they are needed, I would see that as quite beneficial for my desired future in politics and social science.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Something to play with, just to screw with people... then Fe away their aggravation.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
1. A natural attraction to big picture explanations and an aversion to details.
2. I really like finding out why. I love being able to explain why. I am ecstatic when I'm the first to know why.
3. Theories lead to alternatives explanations, mind bending exercises and in rare cases, organized action.
4. The natural high that comes from taking a theory, applying it to a brand new circumstance and discovering that it makes sense...highlights the connectedness of things, people, events.

Theory is crack for restless minds and I am an addict. Hello, my name is Ergo and I am an ideaholic.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
i don't know why i love theory but i approach everything as something to think about, i don't feel im in control of it it's like my brain turns everything into some grand puzzle with no example of the finished puzzle but it's seems to be working towards something.......finding a new connection between unrelated things with Ne is the most satisfying thing in the world.:huh:

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't have the capability to pay attention to what's going on around me. I dated a girl for two months and was unable to recall if she had glasses. I had to call and ask. As it turns out, she did- every day. I don't know the color of any of my friends' cars except for my room mates, which I park next to every day...I've had a broken foot and elbow for the past two months, and everyone has been giving me their sympathies, but in spite of being extraordinarily limited in my available actions, I have not been bothered for the most part. More than anyone I've ever met, I'm just not capable of knowing what's going on around me - that is, everything I see is just means to the end of the thought that it produces, only then is any interest held. There is almost no place I can think of which makes me more positively annoyed than an art gallery, and I'm still at a loss for an opinion of good vs. bad art - good art is art which is easy to ignore - which is actually a whole lot of art, come to think of it. The idea of using senses for any extended period of time is very odd to me, and it was not until MBTI that I met the idea which I now accept - there were people who can not only use their senses for extended periods of time, but are able to do it daily. It wrecked my paradigm, and N v S was what drew me into this particular theory, as well as having the charm of astrology, (which I am still unfamiliar with - but I know many people ARE charmed by it) with the added benefit (and necessity for a realistic model of this kind) of arbitrariness. So, I think your question was why we like theory...and for my part it is really all that I can think about. Trying to think about anything without a theoretical bent is like staring at an arbitrary spot of blank wall all day without allowing your attention to get distracted. It's next to impossible for lack of stimulation.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, I like typology theory because it helps me to see why I click with some people and not others. It grants a deeper understanding of other people, how their minds work in contrast to my own, and helps me feel less "weird" in my own skin. :tongue:

I like musical theory because it's really fascinating to see why some sounds work better than others, how music is structures and to trace the developments from single melodic lines to full on homophonic orchestral works. The entire culture that's sprung up around tonality in the last 400 years or so is extremely interesting, and I love finding out how it's pieced together. It's a very complex system, and whenever I think I've gained a considerable understanding of it, I learn something new which reminds me how much I have left to learn. It's great :D

Theorising over stuff in general? I can't explain that. It's just something I've always done, and enjoyed.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I theorise everything that I don't find boring. I think I just want to know and understand.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't have the capability to pay attention to what's going on around me. I dated a girl for two months and was unable to recall if she had glasses. I had to call and ask. As it turns out, she did- every day. I don't know the color of any of my friends' cars except for my room mates, which I park next to every day...I've had a broken foot and elbow for the past two months, and everyone has been giving me their sympathies, but in spite of being extraordinarily limited in my available actions, I have not been bothered for the most part. More than anyone I've ever met, I'm just not capable of knowing what's going on around me - that is, everything I see is just means to the end of the thought that it produces, only then is any interest held. There is almost no place I can think of which makes me more positively annoyed than an art gallery, and I'm still at a loss for an opinion of good vs. bad art - good art is art which is easy to ignore - which is actually a whole lot of art, come to think of it. The idea of using senses for any extended period of time is very odd to me, and it was not until MBTI that I met the idea which I now accept - there were people who can not only use their senses for extended periods of time, but are able to do it daily. It wrecked my paradigm, and N v S was what drew me into this particular theory, as well as having the charm of astrology, (which I am still unfamiliar with - but I know many people ARE charmed by it) with the added benefit (and necessity for a realistic model of this kind) of arbitrariness. So, I think your question was why we like theory...and for my part it is really all that I can think about. Trying to think about anything without a theoretical bent is like staring at an arbitrary spot of blank wall all day without allowing your attention to get distracted. It's next to impossible for lack of stimulation.

This is good.