User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which philosophy suits you best?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Live life as if there is no tomorrow?

4 20.00%
  • Live life as if there is always a tomorrow?

16 80.00%
123 Last

MBTI
    infp

Default Living as if there was no tomorrow

Seizing the moment as it exists now.

This can be advice someone gives to you, and yet not the best way to live your life.

I live as if there is no tomorrow, not exactly a tomorrow, but maybe the day after tomorrow as it's so unreal to think much further than that. Life is so short, and that's if you live to old age, anything on anyday of your life could end it so there really is no tomorrow anymore.

People say "where do you see yourself a year from now" and they couldn't have asked me a more difficult question, because I don't see that far ahead. Maybe I have vague ideas, but nothing is concrete enough in my world to believe what I say is where I will still want to be next week, or next month, let alone next year.

If life is short than why save? if I could be killed tomorrow, why not enjoy today while I have it? I dread the idea of saving towards a fantastic holiday next year, if I could be dead before then. What a waste, all that boring long term planning, going without fun things now, being all serious and mature, and then just dying.

Still though, there have been many tomorrows, and in each tomorrow I am still in a financial rut, still not saving, still not progressing, because the choices people make based on their ideas of tomorrow, aren't being made by me.

I can certainly see the negatives to my living for the moment philosophy, and yet I find it hard to change this. I am attempting to save, and yet I have many moments in which I question the wisdom of saving for a future that isn't certain.

Live as if there is no tomorrow?

Live as if there is always a tomorrow?

Which one fits you best?
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    enfp

think ahead for career only

rest of the stuff, i take it as it comes...

I like thinking about this. It's hard form me to do both as well, but I'm the opposite of you. I have a harder time with carpe diem. I plan and plan. I never have a hard time executing my plans, but I, on my own, rarely do things on a whim. So the "live as if there is always a tomorrow" is more natural to me. However, the "live as if there is no tomorrow" is where my husband steps in. I'm fortunate that I have someone to balance me out. And he is too, because together we don't get trapped by our natural inclinations. If we were, I would just plan and maybe not get the most out life, and he would have sold all of our possessions and gone to live in the jungle. I sort of have a heart attack when he has a 'surprise' for me because it usually involves something so far from my comfort zone... I'm getting used it to though .
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I like thinking about this. It's hard form me to do both as well, but I'm the opposite of you. I have a harder time with carpe diem. I plan and plan. I never have a hard time executing my plans, but I, on my own, rarely do things on a whim. So the "live as if there is always a tomorrow" is more natural to me. However, the "live as if there is no tomorrow" is where my husband steps in. I'm fortunate that I have someone to balance me out. And he is too, because together we don't get trapped by our natural inclinations. If we were, I would just plan and maybe not get the most out life, and he would have sold all of our possessions and gone to live in the jungle. I sort of have a heart attack when he has a 'surprise' for me because it usually involves something so far from my comfort zone... I'm getting used it to though .
    I can imagine, sounds like in your balance you get the best of both worlds, this is why I need to find me a J man.

I am always tempted to just pull my kids from school and take them round the world for an alternative education, so I get the whole escape to the jungle thing too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I can imagine, sounds like in your balance you get the best of both worlds, this is why I need to find me a J man.

I am always tempted to just pull my kids from school and take them round the world for an alternative education, so I get the whole escape to the jungle thing too lol.
    I wouldn't be so sure a J necessarily, my husband is an ENTJ. He just plays as hard as he works .
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    infp

I wouldn't be so sure a J necessarily, my husband is an ENTJ. He just plays as hard as he works .
    Lol well there goes that theory.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

This. Ohhh this. My husband likes to do the same thing. I am much better than I use to be with surprises and such, and it's generally something I will love so I don't know why I have that initial "oh fuck" moment when he says that. I definitely love, love, LOVE to plan and it does take away from being spontaneous so now I try to roll with it. He doesn't live like there is no tomorrow, he's just more willing to slow down so I take ques from him.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Interesting. I'm always thinking months and often YEARS ahead.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    Interesting. I'm always thinking months and often YEARS ahead.

The only real future thinking I do is whether or not the enterprise will be built in my lifetime.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I take this dilemma to mean, should we only care about short-term pleasure, or should we always have long-term pleasure and happiness in mind first?

I'm not usually the kind of person who promotes moderation, but I think we have to be both aware of short and long-term feel-goodedness.

So, we should live life as if there will probably be a tomorrow, but no guarantees.